Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you mind being candid with me?.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There goes this thread.......

Anyways, yes, I am not the engineer or computer type, I would like a system to give me the basic info. I need to improve, in an easy and rapid format.......
is there such a system?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Paolo a Proctodontist?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Apparently!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Just for the joke, now you have to sit right seat with me for a session at the Glen during your region's event in August.

Are you up to the "challenge"?.......
Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Larry, you just nailed the good Dr's signature!

This is the kind of question that will get many right answers. Sort through the qualifiers given along with each recommendation and pick the gear that most fits your wants. Needs and wants are not the same and our little hobby is a "wants" driven one.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say "listen to Larry" but if he's interested in Proctodontia I have to wonder about him.

You may want to get some sample data from a couple friends and try the software from the systems. You are either going to have to figure it out yourself or get a friend to help (or both). I would respectfully suggest that if you can't make much out of the software on your own and don't think you can learn more yourself, you are wasting your money. The only way your going to get much more than lap times out of the system is to spend a few hours going through the data at the end of the day. If you can't do that on your own, what good is the system?
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I was going to say "listen to Larry" but if he's interested in Proctodontia I have to wonder about him.

You may want to get some sample data from a couple friends and try the software from the systems. You are either going to have to figure it out yourself or get a friend to help (or both). I would respectfully suggest that if you can't make much out of the software on your own and don't think you can learn more yourself, you are wasting your money. The only way your going to get much more than lap times out of the system is to spend a few hours going through the data at the end of the day. If you can't do that on your own, what good is the system?
Good suggestion Tom.. I'll be glad to send you some AIM data with GPS Paolo..
Old 05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Good suggestion Tom.. I'll be glad to send you some AIM data with GPS Paolo..
That's great Gary, I would appreciate that.....

Also which sensors are an absolute must in order to obtain good basic data?

I know that more sensors can be added later on, I just wanted to start the simplest was possible and then gradually get more technical.....

Thanks again my friend........
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

Also which sensors are an absolute must in order to obtain good basic data?

I know that more sensors can be added later on, I just wanted to start the simplest was possible and then gradually get more technical.....

IMO good basic driver data sensors

Steering
Brake
Throttle,
RPM
G-Sensors
Track Mapping (via GPS or Beacon/wheelspeed)

GPS only like Traqmate with no sensors is nice but you begin to run into issues comparing laps because you can't see exactly what you did differently. All you can see is that you were faster or slower which while it is good to know you can learn more from knowing exactly what you did differently.

Since many of these data systems have a dash that can replace the dash on the car the simple ones to add later are oil pressure/temp and water temp (for those that have water)
Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
IMO good basic driver data sensors

Steering
Brake
Throttle,
RPM
G-Sensors
Track Mapping (via GPS or Beacon/wheelspeed)

GPS only like Traqmate with no sensors is nice but you begin to run into issues comparing laps because you can't see exactly what you did differently. All you can see is that you were faster or slower which while it is good to know you can learn more from knowing exactly what you did differently.

Since many of these data systems have a dash that can replace the dash on the car the simple ones to add later are oil pressure/temp and water temp (for those that have water)
That is the conclusion I came too a year ago when I decided on the AIM PISTA v. Traqmate--- and GPS is not an accurate system in itself.. at least so I am told...
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe, you have been of great help in demystifying the Data Acquisition Systems......

I think I have been converted over to the Aim......
Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

GPS only like Traqmate with no sensors is nice but you begin to run into issues comparing laps because you can't see exactly what you did differently. All you can see is that you were faster or slower which while it is good to know you an learn more from knowing exactly what you did differently.
This sounds like the best info so far. If you just want to know laps times go with a simple system. But ultimately to improve I think a driver needs to know where to look for time.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02 on sensors are GPS, g-force, rpm and throttle being the most improtant. After that, brake pressure, steering wheel and shocks.

I used the Traqmate with just rpm for a year. It was nice and very easy to use but limited. When I rebuilt my car last winter, I dropped all stock gauges and went with a MoTeC dash and sensors. The difference in data (and software) is extreme.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I basically agree with most of the comments so far.
I have a Traqmate system and for me it provides me the best bang for the buck and is basically a plug and play set up.
At this point I don't have the time or inclination to get the benefits out of an AIM or similar system.

My next purchase is to get the Trackvision system to integrate it with the data and I think that will open up a whole new level of analysis.

If you're not an engineer or planning on seriusly racing then I think the top systems are overkill... It's alot like triple adjustable shocks it takes alot of knowledge to get the most out of them and I just don't have it
Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I'm with the traqmate bunch. You can go to their website and download traqview and practice it to see if you like it. Compare that with whoever's local that you can play with first hand and go from there. Traqmate is like DA for dummies. If you want to know the basic stuff and not get too complicated it's the system for you and the chase cam works great with it too, everything synchronized easily. And always being updated. It's also easy to take in an out.

I havent tried anything else so I can only give the positives of what I have.

Quick Reply: Would you mind being candid with me?.......