Data Aq - Comparing Data accross Platforms

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Data Aq - Comparing Data accross Platforms

My friends run MoTec in their cars and I currently do also (loaner ).

I'm looking at my options and would prefer not to spend the $$$ to get the MoTec but I want to be able to compare with their data.

Any simple way to make the data comparable? I gather you can dump it into Excel and compare that way but I'm hoping to either import to MoTec software or to IQ3 or similar.

Help !

Photo courtesy of Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 04-28-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple - no, not that I'm aware of.

I ran a Traqmate last year and have switched to MoTeC now. I used the Traqmate as a test to see if I would use the analysis software and if it would help. Since the answer to both was 'yes', I spent the money to switch. I have a sport dash (already had M48 ECU) and added i2Pro logging with sensors for fuel level, rpm, throttle position, shift/warning lights, steering angle, oil pressure, oil level, oil temp, transmission temp, two wheel speed sensors and brake pressure (f & r). What gear I'm in is calculated and displayed. I tried to do without the very pricey beacon and have given up and just bought it too. I had the car wired for shock pots but have not installed them (yet). I replaced all stock gauges with the MoTeC dash (and I had all stock wiring removed and the car rewired from scratch to save over 70 lbs). I don't have the MoTeC GPS because the sport dash only has 1 serial input and that's used by the M48 ECU.

Without the beacon to provide accurate track maps and lap info, it was really difficult to get good information out of the MoTeC. The ease of the Traqmate software is a huge plus (but also a huge limitation). After getting a few hours of coaching on the use of the i2Pro software, I'll appreciating it much more and looking forward to my next outing where I'll use the darn beacon. I get very similar information on g's between the two systems (I'm running the Traqmate in addition to the MoTeC during the transition). I get different speed information as the MoTeC is a calculated speed based on whatever wheel diameter/circumfrence you input into the calculation. I trust the GPS speed more than the calculated wheel speed. Regardless, the qualitative information is the same, it's a difference in value. The Traqmate only had rpm hooked up (and now not even that) so the information was limited and that limited what could be learned from it. Given the huge amount of information that the MoTeC is capturing, I'm still learning how to interpret and use it.

So, a more direct answer to your question - simply get the analysis from each data system and compare them the old fashioned way (look at the printout side-by-side). You'll see g's and speed at the apex and anything else will really depend on what sensors you have hooked up.

While the MoTeC was 10x the price of the Traqmate, I think I'm getting more than 10x the benefit from it, especially the real-time feedback. The system tells me the minimum speed in the last corner as soon as I complete the corner (no need to wait and analyze it later) so I know how I did right away. Now that I have the beacon, I'll also program it to provide a constant + or - indication on how I'm doing compared to a reference lap.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Tom,

Many thanks for the input (in both forums ). The MoTec's capabilities are huge (more than I'll ever need or comprehend perhaps) but the ability to compare with drivers and cars I know and trust is invaluable to my continuing learning. I have installed I2Pro but have only toyed with it a bit as the guys from the shop have been doing all the magic with the data and I look at it after they have analyzed.

We have a really good data guy who makes it look simple..... I'll continue my research and will post my findings.

All the best and mean looking beast you have there in your avatar !
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Tim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both systems can export data as *.csv files. you might have to play witht he arrangement of the columns.Then maybe software from one system could process anothers data.

Or better yet download Bosch Windarab or Lapsim and process each loggers data there ( from csv files)

I have three logging systems available that I use, Motec, Aim, and DL1
Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juan: I understand your desire. I'd like to see how it could be done too. While I will gather some data for a couple other drivers in my car, it would be nice to compare cars too. When the data comes from different systems, it just isn't easy.

While you can export from i2Pro, there is no import feature. The file system used for the data is not ascii or any sort of a text format either. Tim's suggestion is worth a try.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most anything can be done...the only question is whether you have a degree in Computer Science or not. I don't really know of any conversion programs that allow you to transfer data from one program to the other.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great thread, I'll be watching it as some day I'll make the jump to data acq and my friends run all kinds of different platforms. So I have nothing to add, but will say cool pic, Juan! Colour Tech South does a great job. Now crop and Photoshop out the bulldozer...

Quick Reply: Data Aq - Comparing Data accross Platforms