Sponsored by:

Newbie On Board, Question Re. Hargett Precision Pro G50 Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie On Board, Question Re. Hargett Precision Pro G50 Shifter

I have been told great things about this forum. I expect to learn a lot, and hope that at some point I may be able to provide useful advice to others.

Getting then to my first ever Rennlist questions. I am thinking of purchasing the Hargett Precision Pro G50 shifter to put in my 88 911 that is a track only car. Do any of you run that shifter, and if so, have comments about it, good or bad? Secondly, have any of you run that shifter in the PCA club racing stock classes, or know if a ruling has been made about whether it is legal? I ask because the rules state "Modification to, or substitution of, the shifter mechanism which reduces the range of motion is allowed" and while I think a good argument could be made that that rule permits the Hargett unit to be used, I would feel better about possibly putting it in if there has been a favourable ruling already or if others are running it without issue.

Mark
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run the Hargett in the stock class. For more specific feedback, you may want to cross-post this on the 911 forum.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a G50, but for my 4 speed, I really like the Hargett shifter. It's now placed up and back where it should be. No more missed shifts and hard to reach shifts.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the Hargett, but a very nice change from the stock shifter. The "scaffolding" that lifts this one up to a really nice position was fabricated for me by Jerry Woods. The only downside is it's not cheap. I now can shift faster and with a great feel (almost a clunk when it goes in gear) but I can't tell if it's shifter or transmission related (I replaced both at once).
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We have the Hargett in our 88 and it is very nice. The new position and action of the shifter is a big improvement over stock. I got used to it after the first session.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run a Hargett in my race car with a late 80's G50 5 speed same as yours and I love it. Just be sure to have the shift pattern aligned properly and tighten the heck out of the shift rod connections so it doesn't slip/rotate on you.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Does anyone make a Hargett-type shifter unit for the contemporary vehicles, like the 996 and 986?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Thank you all for the responses. They are much appreciated. Finding some help in avoiding missed shifts and that long reach from 5th to 4th (at least a long reach for somebody with short arms) is what I am looking for. I started going to the track in my Boxster, and very seldom if ever missed a shift. I got the 911 last year and, well, missing shifts no longer an infrequent occurence. I will therefore take all the mechanical help I can get! Tom, the FABCAR set-up in your car looks great. I am envious, but think I will have to settle for the Hargett.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

One other thing. Jwerion and Cory, would you be willing to post or to send to me by e-mail a close up photo or two of your shifters installed in your cars?

Mark
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to be a little late, but I too have a Hargett in my 903 DE car (G50 conversion). When it was shipped (the car0 from the PO (GaryR - thnaks agian buddy!) thye transport guy in an effort to engage reverse broke the connection between the shifter and the shift rod. Don'y ask me how. I thought it was realy messed up, but Karl at IA got it all reset up and then put a couple of tack welds on the coupling so it will not slipp. A good idea, but obviously you better make sure it is right befor doing that....

I had to tighted a bunch od the internal allens (probably as a result of the how's this go into reverse episode) which is a joy with the Recaro's in place (many craftsman allen wrenches sacrificed to make custom sizes).

In any event, now that it is all ship shape it is REALLY good. Shifter falls right to hand, and to me much more precise that any stock shifter. makes the shifter in my 964 CT fell like it is wallowing in a bowl of oatmeal.

In my car, the ebrake was sacrificed, not an issue for me, but something to consider.

Here is a pic of the interior gary took a while ago. If you want a couple of close ups - let me know.

Bob
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Newbie On Board, Question Re. Hargett Precision Pro G50 Shifter