Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning to Trail Brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:32 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing richochet with no brakes even from the 1.3 transition in the ricer?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

picture this- full on in 4th gear with a slight trail brake down the hill, and flat all the way until the rumble strips (down to third and back flat on throttle) for that left before the uphill hairpin...slicks are fun!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRG13
Mpaton has ridden with me before and is a great instructor (can't say that about all of them)
Agreed. I can't say that I ever had a bad instructor, however. Combinations of teaching/learning style influence the experience, but since I enjoy variety in teaching styles, and may someday explore the instructor role myself, I pay attention to them (and give them labels, heh heh)... "cheerleader", "player/coach", "professor", "equipment trainer"... I like them all. (I'm still patiently waiting to sample the popular VR style, though I suspect he'll get my player/coach label if my number ever gets called).

So Mpaton is what I would call "old school dentist"... I know he's going to find something that I'm neglecting, he'll explain the unfortunate consequences of not attending to those things, and deliver the medicine without anesthesia or nitrous. When I'm done, I can still feel the sting, but I know that the sting represents the truth in what's holding me back, and I leave intent on coming back the next time having addressed it. (BTW, intended in the most complimentary way, michael - I appreciate your style, and the results!)
Old 05-12-2008, 01:34 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red!
I've been told Barber actually puts rear brake bias on their cars so they can focus on "Trail Braking" - its one of their specialties.
Yes, even in their 2-Day high performance program, the instructors urge you to trail brake to get the car to rotate. At Laguna Seca, they have an infield autocross with almost a 270 degree left-hander that is perfect for it. Excellent way to practice.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
Yes, even in their 2-Day high performance program, the instructors urge you to trail brake to get the car to rotate. At Laguna Seca, they have an infield autocross with almost a 270 degree left-hander that is perfect for it. Excellent way to practice.
When I attended the 3-day at LS, they broke the class into two groups for the trail braking exercise - one group on track, the other group gathered at the T2 corner station to watch and learn. The corner station turned into a pretty funny peanut gallery of hecklers as everyone on track was either too slow to generate the required momentum into the turn, or came in too hot and ended up sliding into the gravel pit. Then it got kind of quiet towards the end as we realized our turn on track was coming up next. Maybe they've since moved the exercise to the autocross area for the 3-day as well; that makes more sense than trying to teach it for the first time at the end of the main straight.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
When I attended the 3-day at LS, they broke the class into two groups for the trail braking exercise - one group on track, the other group gathered at the T2 corner station to watch and learn. The corner station turned into a pretty funny peanut gallery of hecklers as everyone on track was either too slow to generate the required momentum into the turn, or came in too hot and ended up sliding into the gravel pit. Then it got kind of quiet towards the end as we realized our turn on track was coming up next. Maybe they've since moved the exercise to the autocross area for the 3-day as well; that makes more sense than trying to teach it for the first time at the end of the main straight.
LOL, yeah that must have been pretty funny. Even after a whole day of driving LS, it's hard to nail a good trail-brake in Turn 2. Great corner!

Quick Reply: Learning to Trail Brake