Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you run cool shirt hose into driver suit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you run cool shirt hose into driver suit?

Just got my cool shirt system installed in my car, but want to know what is the best way to run my cool shirt hose into my driver suit.
Thanks.

-Scott
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Cut a slit on the inside of your right pocket, and sew it like a large button hole.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen a number of guys run them through the pocket or if the suit has a double zipper, out the bottom of the front zipper.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Cut a slit on the inside of your right pocket, and sew it like a large button hole.
I think you mean your your left pocket, that's where the hoses come off of the cool shirt(atleast on mine).
Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some Nomex cloth and thread and had a triple thick "tube" about 6" long sewn and then inserted at a seam in the waist. 3" of tube on the inside of the suit and 3" on the outside. The hoses go through the tube and out without any risk to the integrity of the protection provided by the suit. The exit tube is at the level where the lines converge on the shirt so it's an easier exit without crimping the tubes. It also places the tubes above the lap belt for greater comfort.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else have issues with pinching off the supply in a containment seat? I have 2 cool shirts that appear to be identical yet one of them pinches off in my Recaro cup seat. Anyone else suffer this problem?

Hint: You can cut off the sleeves making the shirt into a vest. This eliminates having to tuck the shirt sleeves down into your suit's sleeves especially when you're hot and sticky....
Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Red!
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Anyone else have issues with pinching off the supply in a containment seat? I have 2 cool shirts that appear to be identical yet one of them pinches off in my Recaro cup seat. Anyone else suffer this problem?

Hint: You can cut off the sleeves making the shirt into a vest. This eliminates having to tuck the shirt sleeves down into your suit's sleeves especially when you're hot and sticky....
never felt a pinch and my seat is TIGHT (i'm not fat!)

How do you cut off the sleeves? My shirt has cool-stuff on the sleeves - thats why they call me Tron
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I think you mean your your left pocket, that's where the hoses come off of the cool shirt(atleast on mine).
Negative. Tubes should be long enough. Feed them thru the right pocket because the ice chest is gonna be mounted in the right rear of the car or maybe even the right front.

I dislike using the zipper trick because zippers get jammed, etc. and I do not want a gap where there may be no Nomex over my nads.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I cut a hole in my left pocket as my cool suit cooler sits behind the driver's seat.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My cooler is in the passenger footwell and I have the lines going behind the seats and coming around to my left side. I considered cutting a hole in the left pocket of my suit, but I found the best way to avoid pinching is to put the connectors from the shirt out the zipper high enough above the camlock so the lines don't get pinched by the harness or against the edge of the seat.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
I cut a hole in my left pocket as my cool suit cooler sits behind the driver's seat.
Even in that circumstance, IMO you do not want the tube anywhere near the door, where it can get caught, pinched, impair rescue, etc.

JMHO...

Another reason to keep the hoses low (i.e., not above the camlock) is that, if there is a fire, the hoses will melt immediately. I would not want them melting onto my chest where they go thru my Nomex. I want them melting in my pocket, which is also Nomex.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

depends how far forward your seat is. I like to sit NASCAR style on the wheel so the line on the right side can get caught up in a shift.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen a number of cars that are used in races where driver changes occur where the tubes are on the left side so someone other than the driver can hook them up.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

keep in mind that you can also buy the quick disconnects that will disconnect based on pressure so you don't have to use your hands to disconnect them in an emergency exit...you just run and they come loose
Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run mine out the zipper so for no roasted weenie for me..I figure the water in the cool suit will put out the flames

Quick Reply: How do you run cool shirt hose into driver suit?