Sponsored by:

Super Aguri is done...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Super Aguri is done...

Despite the best efforts of team owner Aguri Suzuki and a rescue offer from Germany’s Weigl Group, time has run out for the Super Aguri Formula 1 team: the operation has announced today its withdrawal from the sport, effective immediately, ending a nearly year-long fight to carry on.

The statement released by team founder Suzuki said:

"In order to realize my dream to become an owner of a Formula 1 team, I applied for a grid position in the FIA Formula 1 World Championship in November 2005. Since then, I have participated in the championship for two years and four months as the Super Aguri F1 Team, but regretfully I must inform you that the team will cease their racing activities as of today.

"The team competed against the many manufacturer-backed teams and have succeeded in obtaining the first points after only the 22nd race finishing in ninth place overall in the 2007 constructors' championship.

"However, the breach of contract by the promised partner SS United Oil & Gas Company [in mid-2007] resulted in the loss of financial backing and immediately put the team into financial difficulties. Also, the change in direction of the environment surrounding the team, in terms of the use of customer chassis, has affected our ability to find partners.

"Meanwhile, with the help of Honda, we have somehow managed to keep the team going, but we find it difficult to establish a way to continue the activities in the future within the environment surrounding F1 and as a result, I have concludedto withdraw from the championship.

"I would like to express my deepest thanks to Honda, Bridgestone, the sponsors, all the people who have given us advise during various situations over the past couple of years all the team staff who have kept their motivations high and always done their best, Anthony Davidson who has always pushed to the limit despite the very difficult conditions, Takuma Sato who has been with us from the very start and has always fought hard and led the team and lastly our fans from all over the world who have loyally supported the Super Aguri F1 Team."

Aguri’s withdrawal drops the F1 grid to 20 cars, from an expected 24 for this year - Prodrive’s entry also collapsed, mostly thanks to the move towards stricter customer-car regulations. As for the proposed deal with Weigl, Suzuki claimed on a news conference in Japan that his team just ran out of time. It is also believed that Honda was not keen on the Weigl offer.

"We simply ran out of time to put together a deal with Weigl," he said, adding that the fallout of the proposed takeover by DIC from Dubai and the Magma group happened too late into the season.

"Magma pulled out suddenly, and without any explanation, and since then I have been flying all over the world talking to other companies but was unable to secure a deal.

"Financially it was just impossible to continue in F1 with the enormous budgets needed today. We did reach a basic agreement with Weigl but were always battling against time."
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad. Even though they perennially picked up the rear, I didn't want to see them go. Enough $$$ may have made the difference in their finishing positions.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't there a requirement under the Concorde Agreement that an F1 grid is required to start a certain # of cars, or did that go out the window with the USGP Michelin fiasco?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
jenk12m
Banned

we all knew it was a matter of time...i didnt want to see them go
Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Isn't there a requirement under the Concorde Agreement that an F1 grid is required to start a certain # of cars, or did that go out the window with the USGP Michelin fiasco?
IIRC there is a minimum, but i know for sure the max is 12 teams (24 cars). I hate to see SA leave, but F1 has run for a long time with 20 car grids.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Why do I have the feeling that Sir A. Wayne was somehow behind this?
Perhaps he feared that Takuma Sato would beat Fernando and had to act quickly to protect his 'binky'
Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

How about a Sato and Alons ho lineup at Ferrari next year?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'm sad to see Sato go. He was always a positive energy. I hear he is quite like a rock star in Japan. Perhaps he will be the wing man for Alonso next season. He can't do much worse than Jr. (I don't care if he doesn't want to be Jr, that's who he is.)
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bernie Eccelstone is required, under the Concorde Agreement, to field 20 cars for the race to be considered an 'official' race. With Torro Rosso's inevitable demise at the end of the season (unless they are bought out), he is in danger of failing this requirement. There has been talk of each team being required to field 3 cars, simply so that he can meet this requirement.

The 2005 USGP met this requirement as 20 cars qualified, and if you remember, 20 cars started from the grid, just only 6 completed the warm-up lap to take the green flag.

The "22 car limit" is wrong. There is a maximum of 12 teams, which then dictates a maximum of 24 cars (2 cars per team). If the 3 cars per team rule was passed, then we would likely see 27 cars competing - 9 teams once we loose Torro Rosso x 3 cars each.

If Torro Rosso is not bought out (and soon), then we could see some major changes to the nature of F1. Either customer cars will be allowed in (allowing Torro Rosso, Prodrive and possibly even Super Aguri to compete again), each team will have 3 cars, or we'll have one (or two, or three) new constructors on the grid.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i feel bad they can not go on but i dont know hwo some of the teams do it. To spend all that money and know you cant catch ferrari, mclaren, bmw or some of the other top 5 teams has to be hard on them mentally.
Just think most of us race or drive on the track as a hobby. These guys do this for a living and to work that hard and never get anywhere has to be tough. I am sure the drivers are happy they are (or were) in F1 but still going out and knowing the only chance you have is if someone blows up has to get to you sooner or later.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
i feel bad they can not go on but i dont know hwo some of the teams do it. To spend all that money and know you cant catch ferrari, mclaren, bmw or some of the other top 5 teams has to be hard on them mentally.
Just think most of us race or drive on the track as a hobby. These guys do this for a living and to work that hard and never get anywhere has to be tough. I am sure the drivers are happy they are (or were) in F1 but still going out and knowing the only chance you have is if someone blows up has to get to you sooner or later.
As to your 1st point, just look at Major League Baseball. How can markets like Pittsburg, Kansas City or Milwaukee have any chance against $200m payrolls like the Yankees or Red Sox?

As to your 2nd point, the 1st priority of fielding these cars is marketing your company/car company, product.

I remember a remark from the Minardi team years back indicating that eventhough they knew there was a 99.99% chance they would come in dead last and be lapped several times, they were still in F1 and it is a better place to be than other series.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
If Torro Rosso is not bought out (and soon), then we could see some major changes to the nature of F1. Either customer cars will be allowed in (allowing Torro Rosso, Prodrive and possibly even Super Aguri to compete again), each team will have 3 cars, or we'll have one (or two, or three) new constructors on the grid.
Customer cars are the reason why there was pressure on Super Aguri and Torro Rosso last year and this year to fold or construct their own car. I don't mind seeing customer cars, we already have customer engines.

Sato and Alonso at Renault would be good to see. How likely would it be that Sato take Rubens seat after the season?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i understand y your point flight747, but in major league baseball they have a tax where the heavily funded teams pay back and its distributed to some of the less funded teams.

I love formula one, and hope with some rule changes it will become more of a drivers race than a chess match but how does F1 expect to grow if it does not start to regulate some of the $$. If you were starting a team and figured you could be #1 in the IRL or #15 in F1 what would you do. .Also what would be easier to sell to your marketing partners, i first place team or 15th place team.

Just my .02 and i hope you dont see more teams drop out and see F1 get hurt.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a double edged sword as it would be nice to have it be more of a driver's race, but I don't want F1 turning into a spec series. The essense of Formula 1 is the development and pushing the envelope. That said, with an engine freeze in effect, conforming aero coming in 2009, McLaren ECU's in all cars, etc. it's turning into a spec series.

If I was marketing a product or placing a car and the choices were #1 in IRL or #15 in F1, there is no question or hesitation.... #15 in F1. The world wide audiences on TV alone is enormous. The prestige over a series like the IRL, etc. is tremoundous as well.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Given a choice between competing with a top flight IRL team or driving the F1 Safety Car........I'd pick F1.

Quick Reply: Super Aguri is done...