denial

i guess it is not a river in egypt!

will work on it!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
thanks for the feedback and wow yeah after not being watched for a while , notice i am picking up bad habits again...like golf (which i now suck as am new dad) experimenting with earlier turn in and agree way early...already have started goin in later....that pass was fine as Orlando gave me a point (hard to see) and he waited for the pass...he turned in real late there for me...right hand is always at 4 oclock (can't see it) and do not drive with one hand. I like to get an instructor to ride with me often but will need more

thanks again. like golf, when i watch my swing, looks usually much worse than it feels...after these criticisms, may just go back to golf:
Man, don't give up! This all good feedback so absorb it and use it for your advantage. You were already hauling *** so just imagine how fast you will be when you take care of the issues commented above!

I'm guessing you've not had a lot of time with an instructor that really knows how to properly drive a rear engined 911...?
It's all about being super smooth and transferring the weight/rotating the car.

Teaching a good line is one thing but teaching how to go fast in a 911 is a completely different thing; you cannot read it in books. Have to get someone with experience to teach you and get tons of seat time!

I've had the luxury of allways been blessed with instructors who are not only very good drivers but also have extensive experience with 911s.
I may not be very fast yet but at least I think I understand the basics of driving a 911 fast.

See you at the track next time! (do not give up!!)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
*Stop shuffle steering! 9&3 works on 95% of all corners and 100% of straights.
I take a different approach here...I say try both and see what works for you.

My father and I have never ridden in a car together on track. We've never been instructed by the other. Yet, when you watch our in-car videos, you can hardly tell the difference, as we both use a modified form of shuffle steering that looks just alike. There's obviously something about it that makes it work for us...perhaps even something genetic. I don't like having my arms crossed up...I can't react as quickly or as precisely as I can when I reposition my hands on the wheel a bit for the turn.

A video of my father for an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_ByuzFCuY

When I was just getting started, I had instructors at DE's try to change my driving style. My instructors at professional racing schools told me to use what works best for me. I tend to take the 2nd approach. If I still instructed, I would teach total newbies 9 & 3, but I certainly wouldn't try to unteach someone who has more comfortable with a little shuffle steering.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

:thanks man...i'll put the golf clubs back

and i do appreciate the feedback as if you you guys didn't care wouldn't say a word...

see you at the track...

i'll grab Chip V and take him for a run....

mk
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

I take a different approach here...I say try both and see what works for you.

My father and I have never ridden in a car together on track. We've never been instructed by the other. Yet, when you watch our in-car videos, you can hardly tell the difference, as we both use a modified form of shuffle steering that looks just alike. There's obviously something about it that makes it work for us...perhaps even something genetic. I don't like having my arms crossed up...I can't react as quickly or as precisely as I can when I reposition my hands on the wheel a bit for the turn.

A video of my father for an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_ByuzFCuY

When I was just getting started, I had instructors at DE's try to change my driving style. My instructors at professional racing schools told me to use what works best for me. I tend to take the 2nd approach. If I still instructed, I would teach total newbies 9 & 3, but I certainly wouldn't try to unteach someone who has more comfortable with a little shuffle steering

thanks and i was actually taught both ways by intsructors and like the suffle technique as i believe it is a known technique used by other drivers...not just bad ones but i do like the feedback...gives me something to work on....
Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks and i was actually taught both ways by intsructors and like the suffle technique as i believe it is a known technique used by other drivers...not just bad ones but i do like the feedback...gives me something to work on....
I think the only corner at Sebring that would require suffle steering is the hairpin. I was taught both ways too but since I have no problem crossing my hands a bit, I'm not suffling there either. I guess it's a personal reference, albeit should be avoided as much as possible (i.e. when not needed).
Old 05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Juha G
I think the only corner at Sebring that would require suffle steering is the hairpin. I was taught both ways too but since I have no problem crossing my hands a bit, I'm not suffling there either. I guess it's a personal reference, albeit should be avoided as much as possible (i.e. when not needed).
yeah but i am going to try going back to 3-9 and see how i do with it.perhaps safer.. still pulling 2:33-2:34 at sebring. once i clean up my act should be able to do it faster and safer! lifelong progress..
Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

lifelong progress..
Excellent attitude! Kudos!!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

This is what 2 Mustangs look like around Sebring Toyo RA1 with 30+ sessions so we were running +/- 1:37 laptimes. The cars weigh 3480 plus 250lbs drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMr8nhE1BCk There was a little steering shuffle going on also, but only at 5m:55s, FF to there.

The white one with stock 250 RWHP motor was overheating and the black one with a COBRA 340RWHP was running on 7 Cylinders...

What are good laptimes with a P car?

997C2S maybe 2:30? 350RWHP 3300lbs
997GT3 maybe 2:20? 380RWHP 3100lbs

anyone has laptimes?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

My best time is 2:32. 99 Boxster 3.4L ~ 3,000 lbs with driver, about 240 RWHp I think on Kuhmo Victroracers. I could get a little more with a LSD.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Yeah, I hear you, I wish I fit in a Cayman, or Exige for that matter.
My best time is a 2:34 wil all fresh tires, pads, rotors on a cool morning...

Good laptimes for a 3.4L Boxter though!! Well done, most Boxters I can stay with or pass...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

First thing that caught my eye, is right out of the pits, the car takes a big left, and into the 'line' in Turn 1... about the fastest turn on the track. lead car does it better...
-Sure it was the first lap, but good habits are safe habits....
btw, how long was the green out? grid was where?

Never take away the LINE coming out of the pits, because you never know when someone is coming through there at the limit and will either hit you or crash.... Because they are, at the limit, and are fully committed to that line

like me

but ya gotta love the rear view mirror check at the hairpin! sweet! LOL!

edit: There's a white solid line at the end of pit lane ( out), that follows the outside of the track, into the T1 track out, on Drivers right, I don't cross that line until at least past the apex...

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 05-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spot on Mr. Bill, if someone did that at Homestead (ignore blend line) then it can be a real BIG problem with the cars coming off the front straght. Muscle memory stuff, regardless of track condition etc always honor the blend line.

Scott B. I might have an answer for your .34 soon.........
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^ yep, homestead is even more critical.

there, pit out's release, and the leaving car's timing is super critical...

happened (again!!!), with my student...2 wks ago... when we were leaving...

-I didn't even see the Audi, until he was passing us, into T2 brake zone...
Thankfully for me we were off line, and he had room to slow, We made the turn and continued on... no problems...

PS: I got passed by a 996 turbo at the Sebring's T1 track out... never saw him, easily 60 mph difference... glad I was out of his line..
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yeah, I hear you, I wish I fit in a Cayman, or Exige for that matter.
My best time is a 2:34 wil all fresh tires, pads, rotors on a cool morning...

Good laptimes for a 3.4L Boxter though!! Well done, most Boxters I can stay with or pass...
The frustrating thing is, that was last year on a ROW 030 suspension. Since I put pss9s on I'm 2 seconds off of that. I need to soften it up a bit, get a better bar or figure out how to drive it differently.

What the hell are you doing to that thing over there Christian?

Quick Reply: video sebring 2 997s last sat