Sponsored by:

Tires turning blue, why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
just curious, why not run narrower tires on the atom? If you're not getting the tire into the temperature sweet spot then drop down a size (or I guess stiffen the springs as someone pointed out earlier). They're lighter, cheaper, have better aero (especially on your semi open wheel car) and at temp will stick better.
This is an excellent point. But the tires are already pretty narrow at 205 & 225. The A048's don't come any smaller than my 205/50/15 fronts.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

every time I see an atom I think...man what could that thing do with some real rubber. The tires they come with look like bike tires.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1957 356
every time I see an atom I think...man what could that thing do with some real rubber. The tires they come with look like bike tires.
The cars are so light that harder compound R-comps will never heat up if you go too big. You'd need to go down to a soft compound open wheel slick in order to make a wider tire work well.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The cars are so light that harder compound R-comps will never heat up if you go too big. You'd need to go down to a soft compound open wheel slick in order to make a wider tire work well.
I wonder if an autocross tire would work.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Depends on how wide you go. I'm sure you could go wider with even the roadcourse compound Hoosiers.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I've only ever seen one on track and I'm just going to assume that the guy didn't know what he was doing, but the thing looked all wrong. Just sliding through turns. Never able to put the power down.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
As I read this I think R25 Hoosiers that are on FF and FC. Designed for a car that is the same basic weight. They should get up to temp and work well for you. However you start getting into a tire that you will heat cycle out quickly and not have the long term characteristics like a R-compound.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I think the Hoosier A6 might work pretty well. It would be ideal to be able to test several sizes, to get the width/heat situation dialed in. These tires would be technically street legal too, which would be nice.

The problem could then become how the increased grip would affect the other parts on the car. Wheel bearings for example, not designed for the side loads of slicks, won't last.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hard time thinking that I couldn't push the tire hotter with hard breaking and cornering. Slidding cold tires should heat them up...... NO????
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by 1957 356
every time I see an atom I think...man what could that thing do with some real rubber.
How 'bout the rubber on this one? These are Formula Atlantic tires mounted on custom made 15" wheels, over a foot wide in back!

This particular Atom was just built, with a 500hp supercharged engine. Its having some trouble with the trans and axles, but the owner is not cutting corners, so it should be sorted out soon.

He plans to enter it in some time attack events. With its power, tires, & (lack of) weight, it should do ok once its all dialed in.

Could this be the fastest street legal car in the country?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by spare tire
I have a hard time thinking that I couldn't push the tire hotter with hard breaking and cornering. Slidding cold tires should heat them up...... NO????
You would think, but I've tried sliding more, and it doesn't seem to help. Besides, considering that even on my underheated tires and brakes, this car stops and turns much quicker than almost every other car on the track. Overdriving a car with this kind of performance is easier said than done, and also very dangerous.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
You would think, but I've tried sliding more, and it doesn't seem to help. Besides, considering that even on my underheated tires and brakes, this car stops and turns much quicker than almost every other car on the track. Overdriving a car with this kind of performance is easier said than done, and also very dangerous.
Alignment is your friend, not sliding the car.

Double or even triple the amount of toe all around. You may also need to reduce camber to get more even heat - but I GUARANTEE this will get more heat in your tires. The less than optimum camber will be offset by the increased grip of the higher temps.

BTW - On the topic of tires turning blue - that is heat. Seems to be more sensitive as a tire goes through more cycles, but it is caused by overheating the tire. However, that overheating may only be the thinest layer on the outside which will have virtually no impact on grip or life of the tire.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dp35
How 'bout the rubber on this one? These are Formula Atlantic tires mounted on custom made 15" wheels, over a foot wide in back!

This particular Atom was just built, with a 500hp supercharged engine. Its having some trouble with the trans and axles, but the owner is not cutting corners, so it should be sorted out soon.

He plans to enter it in some time attack events. With its power, tires, & (lack of) weight, it should do ok once its all dialed in.

Could this be the fastest street legal car in the country?

Now that looks right!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

don't worry until they turn Barney Purple!!!!

(it does not mean Sh**, just the tire chemistry's reaction to heat, they are all different)

Quick Reply: Tires turning blue, why?