Sponsored by:

pros and cons of trailex trailers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My "plan" was to use my new Trailex for a couple of years, then move to an enclosed trailer. I'm now on my 6th season with the trailex and have no plans of making a change anytime soon.

I don't need the car storage, don't need the strage for my track "stuff", and like the freedom of being able to use the Trailex with a wider variety of vehicals that i might chose to own (F-150 now). I also like the ease of moving it around, simple to park/store when not towing, easy of loading and unloading the car, etc. I have never had an issue or maintenance prob in 6 years, am still on the original brakes, just replaced the tires, and it has always been outdoors. I have owned enclosed trailers, and tilt hydroplane trailers, etc., in an earlier life, and this is the simplest, easiest trailer i have ever owned.

Mine has a tire rack, tool box, spare carrier, aluminum wheels, extra long ramps and a couple of brass rails for the pit babes to dance around between races...j/k!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My "plan" was to use my new Trailex for a couple of years, then move to an enclosed trailer. I'm now on my 6th season with the trailex and have no plans of making a change anytime soon.

I don't need the car storage, don't need the storage for my track "stuff", and like the freedom of being able to use the Trailex with a wider variety of vehicles that i might chose to own (F-150 now). I also like the ease of moving it around, simple to park/store when not towing, easy of loading and unloading the car, etc. I have never had an issue or maintenance prob in 6 years, am still on the original brakes, just replaced the tires, and it has always been outdoors. I have owned enclosed trailers, and tilt hydroplane trailers, etc., in an earlier life, and this is the simplest, easiest trailer i have ever owned.

Mine has a tire rack, tool box, spare carrier, aluminum wheels, extra long ramps and a couple of brass rails for the pit babes to dance around between races...j/k!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

'tis the season for trailer questions it seems.

Since we are on the Trailex topic, I noticed that their trailers comes either with the more expensive surge brakes or the cheaper electric brakes. Which brakes are preferred and why, pray tell?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think, actually, that electric brakes are the preferred method.

I thought surge brakes were in more favor with the 'Marine' crowd...that is, those who carry boats and get into wet situations.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Now you did it, why dont you just bring up politics or religion Many opinions, here is a whole thread on it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/380728-electric-or-hydraulic-surge-brakes-on-trailer.html
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull

I don't need the car storage, don't need the storage for my track "stuff", and like the freedom of being able to use the Trailex with a wider variety of vehicles that i might chose to own (F-150 now). I also like the ease of moving it around, simple to park/store when not towing, easy of loading and unloading the car, etc. I have never had an issue or maintenance prob in 6 years, am still on the original brakes, just replaced the tires, and it has always been outdoors. I have owned enclosed trailers, and tilt hydroplane trailers, etc., in an earlier life, and this is the simplest, easiest trailer i have ever owned.

any pictures of your trailer?

thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i lobe my enclosed trailex... pulls great light plenty of storage, can load cup car easily .. winch is nice side escape door great.. works great to get out of sun, as fuel prices in crease may want to consider a 2000 lb enclosed trailer,,,,,
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

electric brakes.... its nice to be able to hit trailer brakes only sometimes and not have to preload the surge system...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 948 Likes on 577 Posts

I have an enclosed ATC 24' V nose and love it. It is a home away from home on race weekends- we live in it during the days, nice in both HOT and COLD weather plus the car and tools, etc are safer. A friend we race with has an open ATC trailer and it is great as well and tows easily. We actually towed our enclosed with a Cayenne S with PASM and it did reasonably well considering except for the mirror issues. Now we use a PSD F250- no problems with mirrors!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ajcjr
any pictures of your trailer?

thanks
Not very good, but here are a couple (the trailer sits level, not as these pics show):

Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Now you did it, why dont you just bring up politics or religion Many opinions, here is a whole thread on it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380728
Sorry . I'm still on a crash course learning about trailers, and I was at the trailex web site.

Thanks for the link!!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob - got any close-ups of the tire rack? I am in the process of designing/building one.

Thanks.
Marc

Originally Posted by Bull
Not very good, but here are a couple (the trailer sits level, not as these pics show):

Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Bob - got any close-ups of the tire rack? I am in the process of designing/building one.

Thanks.
Marc
Sorry, those are the only pics of the trailer that I have. Trailex may have something better on their website, www.trailex.com. A nice thing about the Trailex tire rack is that it is adjustable in several ways; fore - aft on the trailer, height above car, and height of the rod that goes through the wheels.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob has the standard Trailex tire rack. Here's a slightly better pic of my old Trailex showing that rack:

Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
trailex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

THANKS FOR THE GOOD COMMENTS WE WORK HARD TO PROVIDE THE CAR MARKET WITH THE BEST BUILT AND MOST FUNCTIONAL TRAILERS AVAILABLE TODAY!
CARL CARBON @ TRAILEX TRAILERS.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of trailex trailers