Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data aquisition systems......

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using TraqMate with video (what you describe) for about a year and have found it very helpful at the level I am interested in. I have many friends with the same system, some in the same car, some in different cars, so we share the data and learn from each other. Having the data and video really helps me understand exactly what happened when - for example, you can have what looks to be an average lap just on data, but when you see the video it reminds you that you got slowed up for a segment, which turned what could have been a great lap into a normal one. I tend to try say 1 different thing each session based on what feedback I've gotten from the past (ie: share and compare data). Try that for a session and then try something else and don't worry about trying to figure out if it really helped until you have time with the computer to see the results.

TraqMate to me is a great first system and will probably be just fine for a long while. Relatively inexpensive, very easy to use and understand.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also look at the Racepak G2X, or if you want a very nice dash display look at their new IQ3.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

I think the ICQ3 is the bomb! Of all the systems out there in that range I don't see competition.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think the ICQ3 is the bomb! Of all the systems out there in that range I don't see competition.
Gary, do you have the ICQ3?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have an AIM Pista with Brake pressure/Throttle position/steering position/ and GPS (which is excellent). I saw and read about the ICQ3 and if I wasn't settled on the AIM system I would have bought it (for 1/2 the cost I might add... ..)
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

I think the smartest move is to find out what data you want to record and then find others that are doing the same thing in your area that would be willing to share data with you and look into getting the same systems they are running.
That cannot be overstated. The hard part is getting them to share their data, especially if it is your competition.

________
Jason
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pyruvate
That cannot be overstated. The hard part is getting them to share their data, especially if it is your competition.

________
Jason
Very true. At the pointy end of the field even moreso. However at the middle of the pack I've seen a fair number of people who work together.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Agreed. I've got one coming for the new car. Can't wait!!
There is nothing can touch the combination of a multi-function programmable display with predictive lap timing and and a 32 channel logger for 1400 bones. External sensors are extra, but that's the same for all loggers.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Barfly
Racer

Predictive lap timing is an awesome feature. That and sharing data are two of the biggest ways that you can get up to speed quickly on a track you aren't familiar with. Highly recommended.

________
Jason
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Brinkley
Pro

What about Motec? Has anyone had much experience with their data acquisition systems? If so what do you need other than the dash and gps antenna?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

MoTeC is definitely a top tier vendor. Configuring an ADL system is best done with some guidance from the guys at MoTeC. Is Chris Brown is available at their CA office, he's a terrific resource. There are a lot of options to consider. Aside from the GPS option, you'll probably want their new Video Sync Module, which automatically syncs your video to your data in MoTeC's i2Pro analytics package.

Not sure where you are located, but if you can find someone locally that knows i2 and can help you get the most from it that would be a big plus.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony, I am seriously considering the IQ3 based on bang for the buck. It appears to be one of the easiest to setup in the car and you don't have to place a beacon like the AIM system at the track - which I always forget to pickup after the weekend half the time. It sounds like it can grow as my bandwidth increases to understand how each of the inputs can be utilized for better laptimes. My question is how well does the RacePak IQ3 software and hardware integrate with video solutions like Track Vision?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brinkley
What about Motec? Has anyone had much experience with their data acquisition systems? If so what do you need other than the dash and gps antenna?
A lot of money
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmporsche
It appears to be one of the easiest to setup in the car and you don't have to place a beacon like the AIM system at the track - which I always forget to pickup after the weekend half the time.
My AIM system has a GPS module, I don't use a beacon though I do have one..
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by mmporsche
Tony, I am seriously considering the IQ3 based on bang for the buck. It appears to be one of the easiest to setup in the car and you don't have to place a beacon like the AIM system at the track - which I always forget to pickup after the weekend half the time. It sounds like it can grow as my bandwidth increases to understand how each of the inputs can be utilized for better laptimes. My question is how well does the RacePak IQ3 software and hardware integrate with video solutions like Track Vision?
You will install Racepak's DatalinkII analytics package on your PC to analyse your data, configure the IQ3 etc. DatalinkII has a specific export for TrackVision, including an easy way to add extra sensor channels. Lets just say that the Racepak guys try very hard to make it easy for the user.

Quick Reply: Data aquisition systems......