Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for a new Trailex open trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Cruggles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for a new Trailex open trailer?

So with so many Trailex fans out there, what would you recommend to someone who wants to order a new one? I think I will hold off on the tire rack for now.

I am thinking of getting the CT-7541SB with
  • Aluminum wheels
  • Aluminum spare tire & carrier
  • Aluminum tool box and mounting kit
  • Longer 9' ramps
  • Black reflective striping

Does anyone recommend the front shield? I don't love the idea of extra rock chips on the front of the GT3.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All looks good except for needing two spares and mounts. I like my tire rack, but you may have other plans. I also have the tool box, which is good for storing tie down straps, wheel chocks, etc.

I don't have the front shield and have never seen a stone chip problem in 6 years with two different cars. It appears the shield will add to the difficulty of tying down the front straps, even with the zippered ports for doing so.

BTW, several of my friends are happy with the new welded Trailex trailer, which saves about $1000, but does weigh a few hundred pounds more.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruggles
So with so many Trailex fans out there, what would you recommend to someone who wants to order a new one? I think I will hold off on the tire rack for now.

• Aluminum wheels
  • Longer 9' ramps

Does anyone recommend the front shield? I don't love the idea of extra rock chips on the front of the GT3.

Thanks,
Chris
I went with the 8045 which is a bit wider 80 inches vs 75 for the next size down. I went with aluminum wheels and spare, they look good and will not rust out. lighter too. I have 8 ' ramps and work well with my GT3 which is real low I do need two pieces of wood to get her on.
Lastly, I bought my own refelctive tape for 30.00 and put it on myself.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd agree with Bull as regards the front shield; skp it. After 4 years of towing with no shield, I've had no damage, superficial or otherwise, on the track car finish. (Track chipping, however is another story, hence the addition of clear bra on the rebuilt and repainted car). Then when you think of all the work and general messing around you'll end up doing around the front end of the trailer, checking the straps while towing & refueling, loading and unloading, you'll be glad it's not there.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No advice on the trailer, but is it just me who likes to see the car sitting on the trailer in the rear view mirror? I'm afraid if I had a stone shield, I'd get to the track and my car would have fallen off 200 miles behind me...
Old 04-26-2008, 03:05 AM
mpaton
Instructor

• Aluminum wheels
  • Longer 9' ramps

Thanks,
Chris
Like Frank, I went with the 8045EB when I bought a new Trailex just over a year ago. I got the steel wheels as my part of Texas doesn't generate much corrosion, but I did get 2 of them. I've only used one myself, but before I towed, I'd often get calls on the way to the track from friends towing, and they'd have ruined one trailer tire, and overloaded its mate so much for so long, that they'd often need another spare 70 miles later.

I haven't needed the front shield, although I may get one in the future in the hope of keeping rain from filling up the open car I tow.

I got the 8045 for several reasons; I have 2 cars that weigh about 4200 pounds that could go on the 8045 and not the 7541, and it worked better with the 2 really low cars I mostly wanted to tow, a 996 with GT3 suspension and a Radical SR3 with less than 2 inch ground clearance. If you look at

http://www.trailex.com/showspec.cfm?...txt=otspec.txt

the specs show the 8045 has the lowest deck to fender height (so the 996 doors open over them), and it also has the biggest ramp to deck height ratio (along with the 7031) which reduces the angles between ramps and both deck and ground. Frank, I'm surprised you need planks to get a GT3 on and off, as I don't, but you say you have 8' ramps, and mine came with 11' ramps (like the spec sheet says).

Maybe Trailex has been changing the specs; a year ago you could have the 8045 axle in a mid or rear position (like the 7031 in the table) and I opted for the rear position. Compared to my 996 on the trailer, Frank's car looks like it's sitting way forward relative to the axles; if I placed mine like that I'd be way over the maximum 200 lb tongue weight that Trailex wants. Maybe they changed something else as well.

Getting it delivered took some time; I was ready to buy in December, but had to wait till March to get delivery combined with one going to Tucson and another to San Antonio, and even then I picked it up in Tulsa. 1400 miles from Trailex in Ohio to Austin at $1.50/mile would have been significant.

Anyway, I'm happy with mine, it tows very stably behind my huge overhang, marginal GCWR tow vehicle.

Michael
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the tire rack for track tires.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

An extra tool box comes in very handy.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Get the tire rack for track tires.
+1. Before I pushed the plunger all the way down and injected myself fully, I almost made the tragic mistake of selling the tire rack of my used Trailex. Good thing my friends stopped me.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-26-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trailex does not have a 200lb tongue weight limit for my 7541, which I run with approx. 400-425 tongue weight.

We have a Trailex dealer in our PCA Region. He orders 4 or 5 at a time and saves everyone some shipping costs. When he orders for a customer with a 911, he just tells Trailex that and they have a set-up they use for the trailer....axles in rearward position, long ramps, etc.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Another vote for a tire rack. I don't have the front shield, and no rock chips from that. However, the one really nice thing about the front shield is it keeps the car much cleaner when you tow in the rain.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

The tow vehicle is your stone shield. Two spare mounts and definitely get the tire rack,you will use it and it will help with resale.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
No advice on the trailer, but is it just me who likes to see the car sitting on the trailer in the rear view mirror? I'm afraid if I had a stone shield, I'd get to the track and my car would have fallen off 200 miles behind me...
You still see your car with the shield. Ive never had a trailer with out one so I cannot compare. No damage towing though... First few times I used it I would forget and think someone was following me.....
Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Cruggles
Intermediate

Well, I ordered my Trailex today from Carl. He got me a good deal on freight and I should have it in about 3-4 weeks!

They are giving away the free Aluminum Wheel upgrade and a Spare Tire Carrier for orders in May. Great deal!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Chris
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I ordered my Trailex today from Carl. He got me a good deal on freight and I should have it in about 3-4 weeks!

They are giving away the free Aluminum Wheel upgrade and a Spare Tire Carrier for orders in May. Great deal!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Chris
Congrats, they work so well. after I bought mine I went out and bought some RED/White safety tape so that it sticks out and night. I think that Northertool had some set up for doing trailers. I also bought Tire locks, NAPA sells some good ones that worked well.

Quick Reply: Options for a new Trailex open trailer?