Sponsored by:

Anyone running Ohlins on a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running Ohlins on a 996?

Just picked up a set of Ohlins for my 996 H class racer and was looking to gain some set up advise. The usual stuff, spring rates, tuning, where you send them for rebuilds, are you changing pressure in the canister yourself, etc. Also interested in how the canister was mounted and if you needed to change to a longer hose.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSI is probably your best source for Ohlins service with porsche experience. Ohlins guy there is Kevin http://www.motorsportsspares.com/

You'll love them. Unless you damage them, you should not need a rebuild for quite some time.

The diaphragm design in the reservoir limits leaking to basically nothing. I've seen Ohlins raced 2-3 seasons without losing any pressure, not require a rebuild, and dyno'd the same as when they were rebuilt last.

Amazing dampers.

The dampers are designed so you do not need a high cannister pressure like you do in some other dampers (Moton/jrz). You can run down to 8bar (or less sometimes) without any issues.

Not sure on the mounting, but try to limit the length of the hose to stock length (or less, like a piggy back setup)...increasing it increases the hysterisis effects. Basically, the longer the hose, the more time there is between the shock movement and the 'reaction' from the cannister.

If they were originally valved for your car/model, you should not have to do much adjusting, i'd say within 5-6 clicks from nuetral should compensate for tires/track/conditions and other misc setup changes.

Spring rates: Whats your car weigh? f/r?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:42 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

95m3racer, bought these off a Koni team. They're valved for 700# front and 900# rear. Had them dynoed before they were sent, so I know that they are in perfect condition.

The length of the hose is going to limit mounting of the canister which is why I am curious as to how people have mounted their remotes.

I haven't scaled the car yet, so I can speak to the front to rear weights. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you increase the pressure in the canister. I don't see any type of schraeder valve?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

You bringing the 996 next weekend, Bill?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=

I haven't scaled the car yet, so I can speak to the front to rear weights. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you increase the pressure in the canister. I don't see any type of schraeder valve?[/QUOTE]

http://www.resuspension.com/INFLATIO...E-p-15421.html
Needle inflation kit for Ohlins.
RE Suspension is a good place for Ohlins service,parts,ect.

The canister will have a torx screw on the end. You remove the screw and you can check/add nitrogen. There is a rubber bladder that you pierce with a needle. If you look at the picture in the link, the needle attatches to the red manifold with the pressure gauge on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You bringing the 996 next weekend, Bill?
Most likely not. I have to travel all week and I did not have time to properly go over the car. I am myopic with my personal tech inspections. To throw salt in the wound, my battery just died. No time to replace it as I get in after 9 PM on Friday evening.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Ohlins on a 996?