Care and feeding of trailer tires...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
One the subject of trailer tires, how much do you inflate them? To the max rating on the tire?
That's what I do with them. The max inflation gives you the rated load carrying capacity, and the least amount of flexing which makes them run the coolest. On a similar note, we run all of our truck tires at max inflation too. We have experienced failures only when the pressures were neglected (and probably were too low).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That's what I do with them. The max inflation gives you the rated load carrying capacity, and the least amount of flexing which makes them run the coolest. On a similar note, we run all of our truck tires at max inflation too. We have experienced failures only when the pressures were neglected (and probably were too low).
+1 on that recommendation. The normal Bias type of tires usually inflate to 65PSI cold and the Radial types usually to 80PSI.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Trailer tires can span a wide range of quality. IMO, many of the tires marked "Made in China" (which most of them are...) are junk, and will show sidewall cracking etc. while still young. One of the spares for my open trailer (I always carry two) has never even been on the ground, and has significant sidewall checking.

That said, I've had good life out of NANCO trailer tires (made in China).

The brand name is important.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone using nitrogen in their trailer tires too?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One last item not to neglect: Be sure you have the right size socket for the trailer lugnuts...
19mm will not work as I learned the hard way.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 40' enclosed triple axle trailer. The tires that came on it were carlyle (I think thats how you spell it). I blew 2 of them last summer within 2 hundred miles of each other on a 100 degree day. They are on a lot of trailers as standard tires. THEY ARE JUNK. When I got home from the event I found two others that the belts had slipped on ready to blow. The reason trailer tires break down is from turning. It breaks down the side walls and seperates the belts. The statement trailer tires are cheep is correct if you choose to buy cheep tires expecting to replace them. I for one don't like changing tires on the side of the road so I replaced all of mine with Michelin XPS ribbed trailer tires. Go down to a tire store and look at one and pick it up. This is a REAL trailer tire. They cost about as much as two cheep tires but you will most likely never have to replace one, you get what you pay for. EVERYONE I have talked to that runs these tires says the same thing, they will wear out before they blow out. It's priceless to go down the road and not worry about waiting for the worst to happen. BUY these tires and your problems with trailer tires will go away!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the Michelin website, the XPS trailer tire only comes in 16s.

For trailers like my Trailex with 14s, I stay with Goodyear Marathons, which are "cheap" only in comparison with the track tires I often buy.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Bull....Thats a bummer you can't get them in your size you would be impressed with them. I know what you mean about tire comparison with track tires, $1000 plus for a weekend it's nuts.
I also did not mean to imply you or anyone was to cheap to spend money on good trailer tires. I for one just kept replacing the tires on my trailers with what came on it not knowing how much better of a tire was available. The last straw was last summer changing 2 tires on the side of the interstate in 100 degree plus sun, jack sinking into the asphalt, sweating so bad I could not see, trucks rocking my trailer on the way by, it was not fun. Thats when I went looking for a cure. If this posting keeps someone off the side of the road it will be a good ending.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Landjet, I understand what you mean. I have been trailering for a good part of the past 35 years, off and on, including hydraulic tilt trailers for inboard Hydroplanes, etc. I fully agree with buy the best tire available.

I cringe when I see people at the track with small P-metric car tires, under inflated, on their trailers. I still remember a time in the '70s when we had to chip a hole in the paved shoulder of I-5 to get our jack under a very heavy trailer...talk about working up a sweat! ( that hole may still be there....)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had my share of trailer stories, including tire blow outs in 100 degree weather. Not fun at all.
The time that I had the wheel come off (I, umm, did not remember to torque the lug nuts. Ouch) required me to call AAA. Tow truck guy says 'how come you didn't drive to a safe spot?' to which I replied 'because the wheel came off the trailer??' and he informed me that you can safely drive the trailer on the single remaining axle if you keep the speed below 40 mph or so.
Good thing to know the next time you lose a tire or wheel in an area where it is unsafe to work on it.
Things you must have when trailering - a drive on ramp/jack (or some planks that substitute), suitable wrench, warning flares or triangles, and 2 mounted spares.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
rfloz
Advanced

I have had two valve stem failures on trailer tires in the past year. Luckily both were detected while the trailer was not moving. The rubber stem just cracked all the way through and one would leak air only when pushed slightly to the side. I noticed it while checking tire pressures and replaced it. The other started hissing while I was loading the car at an event. I managed to duct tape it until I could get to a repair place.

I am now using all metal valve stems. Cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Care and feeding of trailer tires...