Flash CamCorder

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flash CamCorder

Anyone use these as in-car-vid?

I mean normal camcorders with flash memory. Not chasecam or some semi-pro stuff. Just normal camera on a mount and perhaps even an external mic. or bullet cam connection. (wishful thinking?)

I bet there are zillions of threads out there, but there are new equipment coming out every week. So I figured maybe someone here has a suggestion?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not tried this yet but someone else recommended it as good quality and low costs http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS
Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I use an Aiptek HD for about $150 at Best Buy plus a few 4 gb flash cards

Here's an example

http://www.vimeo.com/883812

The best thing is that vimeo.com keeps the picture very very very close to the original vs ggogle ot youtube so this is what kind of video it really takes for $150. Not bad and it's HD. No skipping.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I use an Aiptek HD for about $150 at Best Buy plus a few 4 gb flash cards

Here's an example

http://www.vimeo.com/883812

The best thing is that vimeo.com keeps the picture very very very close to the original vs ggogle ot youtube so this is what kind of video it really takes for $150. Not bad and it's HD. No skipping.

Does a fisheye lens fit on it?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

streak that looks great, especially for that price!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking for flash recorder/bullet cam setup for a bit and found these that don't look too bad. I like the idea of the bullet camera for flexibility in mounting and want something with a remote mic to get rid of the wind noise that plagues cam corders.

https://www.actionvideocams.com/Helmet_Cam_DVR.html
http://www.hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=315

Also some bullet cams for the Aiptek:
http://www.bulletcam.com/
Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I use the Aiptek also. Here's my latest video showing my awesome driving skills.

http://www.vimeo.com/895650
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Wonder if this is any good?
http://datatoys.com/mdvr2.htm

Still, this is heading quickly to a dedicated setup.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

chase cam has all you need works like a charm super quality video... lil pricey but is upgradeable ..
you will never use tape again
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Panasonic HD camcorder that records to SD cards. It records in the AVCHD format which your computer will transcode into whatever you want (mpg, etc...). So far it works pretty well, though I haven't had a chance to put together any vid of in-car stuff for posting to RL.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I use a Panasonic HD camcorder that records to SD cards. It records in the AVCHD format which your computer will transcode into whatever you want (mpg, etc...). So far it works pretty well, though I haven't had a chance to put together any vid of in-car stuff for posting to RL.
mine was bouncy ... i used i port mount but had image stabilzation on i was told try to turn that feature off and it should be less bouncy... any thoughts?
the other problem the software for cam was not Mac compatible so i had to use fusion software and run it though windows on the mac...

but i love the panasonic HD cam
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
mine was bouncy ... i used i port mount but had image stabilzation on i was told try to turn that feature off and it should be less bouncy... any thoughts?
the other problem the software for cam was not Mac compatible so i had to use fusion software and run it though windows on the mac...

but i love the panasonic HD cam
You don't need the Panasonic software, just use iMovie to import the media. You don't even need the camera, just use a SD card reader and the Mac will recognize it as a camera.

I use iMovie when at the track to import and Final Cut Pro when I'm at home (AVCHD requires Xeon processors to import in FCP).

Hmm, I will try to turn image stabilization off (sounds counter-intuitive). At some point I'll try to post some of my video from the camera so folks can judge the quality of the camera.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 930man
chase cam has all you need works like a charm super quality video... lil pricey but is upgradeable ..
you will never use tape again
I appreciate the recommendation, I'm well familiar with those solutions. It's actually mandatory (!) for some race series. What I'm looking for, in this setup, is the not-so-pricey solution
Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Rassel
Drifting

In my experience, the Image Stabilization (preferably optical) needs to be really good if it's going to cope with the shakes. Especially with race suspension and a little curbsurfing, they go nuts. Same thing with microphones who pick up resonance. So far bulletcams with wide angle, a small mass and a fixed focus have given the best results I've seen.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
You don't need the Panasonic software, just use iMovie to import the media. You don't even need the camera, just use a SD card reader and the Mac will recognize it as a camera.

I use iMovie when at the track to import and Final Cut Pro when I'm at home (AVCHD requires Xeon processors to import in FCP).

Hmm, I will try to turn image stabilization off (sounds counter-intuitive). At some point I'll try to post some of my video from the camera so folks can judge the quality of the camera.
wow thanks i did not know that when i put card in i could open it but i did not use Imovie... as you can see i am new to MACs .... going to do some driving on wed thurs this week i will try to turn image stabilzation off .. let you knw how it works...

Quick Reply: Flash CamCorder