Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering and EZ-Pass

Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailering and EZ-Pass

Ok - so this winter, I finally got with the program, and got EZ-Pass - now my commute is less stressed out since I don't have to worry about change in the car and waiting in the tolls as much. (Yeah - I know - welcome to the 1980's.... I guess I'm a bit slow to embrace technology).

So, I'm going up to Lime Rock next week -- any pointers on trailering with EZ-Pass? Besides the obvious of NOT going through the lanes with automatic gates?

Thanks,
- Z
Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I trailer all the time with EZ-Pass.....haven't had a problem yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drag it right through the automatic gates. No problems.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z, I have trailered with EZ Pass for a number of years. No problem going through any of the gates offered, including "cars only", automatic gates, etc. as long as they are EZ Pass equiped lanes. This includes I-80, I-78, NY Throughway I-87, various bridges, etc.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Excellent!

Thanks for the responses. One less thing for me to worry about. Now if I can just figure out how to drive faster...

-Z
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Besides the obvious of NOT going through the lanes with automatic gates?

Thanks,
- Z
Z, as others have stated, I cruise through the auto-gates with EZ Pass all the time. Honestly, I rarely check my statement, but I've seen some whoppers of single charges (like $14 for crossing Tappan Zee) which makes me think the system is smart enough to know you're pulling a trailer.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Z, it knows your pulling a trailer, but................. make sure you register both vehicles. You mention you use it for commuting. I would assume your tow vehicle is not your normal drive. I made a trip up the TP and had no problems with my new EZ pass until one toll set off an alarm. When I called them from my cell, they said that it detected an incorrect plate number and a toll violation ( I had moved the EZ pass from one car to the next). It takes 5 mins to make sure any vehicle you have is in their system even with only one pass.

Now just for laughs. Another club member recently got an EZ pass bill for his track car being towed on someone elses trailer down to VIR. He had removed his EZ pass from his car that he left at the guys house and placed it on the seat of the race car. DUHHHH!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Z, as others have stated, I cruise through the auto-gates with EZ Pass all the time. Honestly, I rarely check my statement, but I've seen some whoppers of single charges (like $14 for crossing Tappan Zee) which makes me think the system is smart enough to know you're pulling a trailer.
I often check my statements online ever since I had a $184 charge for a toll plaza on I-87. They do appear know when I am towing and charge accordingly.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobt993
Z, it knows your pulling a trailer, but................. make sure you register both vehicles. You mention you use it for commuting. I would assume your tow vehicle is not your normal drive. I made a trip up the TP and had no problems with my new EZ pass until one toll set off an alarm. When I called them from my cell, they said that it detected an incorrect plate number and a toll violation ( I had moved the EZ pass from one car to the next). It takes 5 mins to make sure any vehicle you have is in their system even with only one pass.
Both my tow vehicle (which is in fact my daily driver) and my 944 are registered with EZ-Pass, so I should be ok.

-Z
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put all my vehicles (all street legal) and my trailer on the list. It's easy and it keeps you covered/legal.

Never mess with people who have the legal authority to give you a cavity search!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
I put all my vehicles (all street legal) and my trailer on the list. It's easy and it keeps you covered/legal.

Never mess with people who have the legal authority to give you a cavity search!!!
I didn't realize you could register a trailer with EZ Pass. I'll have to look into that...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

We have a similar system for toll roads in Texas. I have the tag on my tow vehicle. Sensors in the road measure how many axles, and charge me accordingly in the automatic lanes....at 60 MPH!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

According to EZ Pass, what you are "supposed" to do is go to a manned tollbooth, tell them you have EZ Pass, and they will input that you are a different class than a normal two axle vehicle for that EZ Pass trip.

There are hefty fines for not doing this, including their "administrative fees".
Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 931guru
According to EZ Pass, what you are "supposed" to do is go to a manned tollbooth, tell them you have EZ Pass, and they will input that you are a different class than a normal two axle vehicle for that EZ Pass trip.

There are hefty fines for not doing this, including their "administrative fees".
Interesting. I have never done this in the past 6 years, with at least 20 EZ Pass trips per year. No issues so far.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru

Sounds like people in the northeast are 20 years behind the times technology-wise.

Also sounds like make-work for the overpaid unionized toll booth "workers"...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailering and EZ-Pass