Sponsored by:

Can't insure street legal DE / track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Honestly, I think you should switch carriers about every 4 years or so. Have you ever noticed that as you car depreciates, your premium stays the same (if not rising)? If you go to a new carrier they will write the car as a four year old car. It's almost automatic your rates will go down. Not true in every case because I have had carriers that offered small longevity discounts and reduced deductibles for no claims, but it never hurts to shop around.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
It's relatively easy to find companies that don't exclude DE - just ask for a copy of the policy so you can read through it and see what's included and excluded. My agent has done that for me and when you read through you'll see either you can or you cannot participate in Drivers Education. The insurance companies are pretty clear about it - some simply exclude racing or any timed events, while others exclude anything and everything taking place on a race track, near a race track, etc. - some even specifically ban Drivers Education. I believe there are still plenty of companies out there that do not exclude DE - just have to ask around to find them.

And as for telling the agent what you plan or do not plan to do with the car - there's no benefit to doing so at any level. The policy speaks for itself and you don't want to get the agent, that supposedly works for you, to get in the middle.
In theory, this makes sense. But in reality, the agents seem unable to separate their opinions from what the policy actually says. As I stated in my above post, I initally viewed this as a simple business transaction. Unfortunately, all 15 agents that I spoke with were unable to separate emotion from the facts and were also unable to provide me with the facts.

Interestingly enough, my current agent is a great guy and knows that I track the car - but Allstate has recently excluded DE in very clear terms...

Now it is time to resort to "Plan B"!

-Blake
Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
I am with State Farm and they full well know the car is for the track and they also insure the trailer that will transport it to and from the track. I don't get it it is such hit or miss. It was the same with my State Farm agent in VA too.

Where in FL are you? If you are in South Florida I'll connect you with my agent where I have had no issues, but I still wouldn't go running around publicizing. If interested shoot me a PM.

-Skip
I have been with StateFarm (in GA) for the last 19 years. I have been with the same agent for 19 years. This is something that gets overlooked in these discussions: It is what your policy AND STATE FARM insurance company state. NOT what your agent says, your agent isn't going to pay for your car out of his/her pocket. When you have a claim, it will get kicked up tp corporate. Good luck with getting it covered.
I wrestled with this issue for many years, while stupidly tracking a 90K+ 996TT which I couldn't "walk away from" if wrecked. And how much property, bodily injury can you "walk away" from incase of an on track accident?
This is why I stopped tracking my street car. The risk was just too high.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sab
I am with State Farm and rates are really cheap when you add cars to the policy... That was a real dumb mistake.
I'm with State Farm & I said ... "this is not racing but it is "Driver Education" we are going fast but it is a controlled environment. No Clocks, Racing, Bumping, etc. He said it was covered under those circumstances. I then got it in writing. Just in Case.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My Allstate agent has confirmed that my cars will be covered on the track for DE's only. Also, only my car is covered, no liability would be paid to another car involved if any. Wheel-to-wheel, all bets are off...no coverage.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sab
All I really care about, is liability insurance on street use and maybe theft coverage. The car is not all that valuable, so if it should get totaled on the track, that's a risk I am willing to take.

From what I gather here, it seems the problem is my agent.
You did not make a mistake about talking about tracking your car. Bluntly, it is either covered or not. You need to pull out your policy and look under exclusions for property damage and see how they discuss track use. In Ohio State farm, nationwide and many others cover DE type track events but exclude any racing or timed events (autocross) Like Porsche dealers some agents are with it and some are not. Your agent my not know what the hell he is talking about. The contract is king. if you had it you still have if you did not, you never did.

If you can't buy it you can buy DE coverage but it will cost about 3 to 4 % of the insured value.

Lastly, you will not find Liability coverage for personal injury. You and everyone else signs a waver with the track and event sponser that you waive your right to sue for injury.

However Property damage to your car and the track is something that you can and should cover.

So my view is Read the policy or have someone read it for you and you will know what the score it.

If you are unsure PM me with the wording used to discuss excluding coverage and I will give my my 2cents worth.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

The devil is and will always be in the details. Read your fine print and all exclussions and DO NOT take the word of your agent. If you do, you're listening to someone who has NOT read the fineprint and exclussions.

Since FALL of 2007 many of the major carriers have added language to their national policies to address HPDE and if you haven't read the updated language or addendums, you should do so immediately. Do not think you are covered until you READ that you are covered...

I'd bet dollars to donuts that many who have been told by their agents or are simply to scared to read the fine print aren't covered and will be kicking themselves if they ever find themselves on the wrong side of the tire wall.

Mike
Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
You did not make a mistake about talking about tracking your car. Bluntly, it is either covered or not. You need to pull out your policy and look under exclusions for property damage and see how they discuss track use. In Ohio State farm, nationwide and many others cover DE type track events but exclude any racing or timed events (autocross) Like Porsche dealers some agents are with it and some are not. Your agent my not know what the hell he is talking about. The contract is king. if you had it you still have if you did not, you never did.

If you can't buy it you can buy DE coverage but it will cost about 3 to 4 % of the insured value.

Lastly, you will not find Liability coverage for personal injury. You and everyone else signs a waver with the track and event sponser that you waive your right to sue for injury.

However Property damage to your car and the track is something that you can and should cover.

So my view is Read the policy or have someone read it for you and you will know what the score it.

If you are unsure PM me with the wording used to discuss excluding coverage and I will give my my 2cents worth.
Right on Frank! If in doubt, get your agent to check with the underwriter. That's the best way to be sure.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Sab
Addict
Rennlist Member

The real problem is that my ignorant agent tells me, "that since he knows I have intentions to track the car" he told me he can not insure it.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sab
All I really care about, is liability insurance on street use and maybe theft coverage. The car is not all that valuable, so if it should get totaled on the track, that's a risk I am willing to take.

From what I gather here, it seems the problem is my agent.
Originally Posted by Sab
The real problem is that my ignorant agent tells me, "that since he knows I have intentions to track the car" he told me he can not insure it.
I would give some serious thought to dumping the agent anyway. You pay him to look out for you, He aint selling that stuff for free. My agent takes care of me and makes good money off of all the cars in insure. I have told him things that he does not pass on to the company because he is looking out for me. I would find someone you can trust and work with, because if I am going to do business with someone and they make money off of me I would expect they look out for me. My agent knows I track, he is more worried about my 16 year old daughter however.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Sab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a contact for another State Farm agent from Skip and I will talk to her tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sab
I got a contact for another State Farm agent from Skip and I will talk to her tomorrow.
Sab,

Bypass the agent and send a letter to the company with your intent to add the car to your policy. Include the year, make, and VIN of the car. Insurance is state regulated and i don't know the laws of Fla. but If your car is a private passenger vehicle and is licensed with the DMV they have an obligation to cover it. The advice about getting a better agent is a good one too.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I went down this road last year... was with Haggerty for over 5 yrs, but switched to SF...

My problem or, issue, was a state farm umbrella liability policy, that didn't list the 911.
The cost to add the 911 to the umbrella was more that changing carriers.

However, as I recall, the policy would not cover me for damage on any facility used for racing (at any time). but the policy, does offer liablity and damage for street use.

(Haggerty was same, (IIRC), they did conver non-timed events, but changed the language a few years back).

I'll try to remember to pull out my SF policy tonight... but does anyone have the Florida SF policy text handy that covers track use?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Janni
Intermediate

When we have a race car with a VIN, we added it to our policy with Fireman's Fund as Comp and Liability only. NO COLLISION. Really only wanted theft coverage, and that worked out fine. Didn't mention racing, as we knew it was only for theft, fire, etc and that we'd never submit a claim.

Probably borderline sneaky, since if we WERE racing and had an incident and someone sued, they would find out that we had liability coverage and subsequent umbrella coverage... However, in NC, my Fireman's Find policy still does not include racing / DE / track etc in any of their exclusions. They will not, however, cover my vehicle against war or nuclear destruction. I can live with that tradeoff.

New race car does not have VIN, so that is no longer an option and we had to switch to Storage / Transport and Paddock insurance on it.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Honestly, I think you should switch carriers about every 4 years or so. Have you ever noticed that as you car depreciates, your premium stays the same (if not rising)? If you go to a new carrier they will write the car as a four year old car. It's almost automatic your rates will go down.
I can't understand the insurance industry- instead of trying to keep good clients they try to get rid of them by constantly raising the rates to discourage people from renewing.

My health insurance kept going up for no reason so I cancelled the policy and got a new policy online with the same company for less than half the price.

Quick Reply: Can't insure street legal DE / track car