Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercity Lines transport question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 01:56 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Default Intercity Lines transport question?

How long does it usually take once the order is in to get the car out? Any hints on how to speed the process or at least assist with the process?
Old 04-08-2008 | 02:02 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

When I had my car delivered from New Jersey to Atlanta it took them about a week to pick the car up once the order was placed. From what I gathered when I talked to them the main scheduling conflict is getting a truck going on the direction the car is located for the pickup or it is headed for delivery. They like to get as many cars on the truck as possible.
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Like the clock says. Its all load factors especially when you have diesel at $4 a gallon. Mine was pretty quick (10 days-2weeks)as it was Southern Cal to metro NY area.
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We ship fairly regularly with Intercity, and Seth touched on the usual situation. We usually only wait a couple of days, but have cars going on some high volume routes. The worst time is when all their trucks are tied up with Barret Jackson in AZ, which can be a one month wait.
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:20 PM
Rceron
Racer

Chris,

Is that the new beast in your avatar? If so congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about some sub 2 min lap times at VIR.

Ramon
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:51 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks all. It is coming from outside Dallas to North Carolina. Not one of their busiest routes I am sure.

Ramon this is the car. Sub 2 for the North or South maybe. I need seat time followed by more seat time.
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:57 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Looks like a Glen Gatlin car, no?

NC is a common destination. Dallas is right on the southern route. I guess 2 weeks max. 10 days if your lucky.

Congrats on a beautiful car.
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:19 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks. It is one of Glen's old cars. As someone mentioned the "Believe" racing decals are gone so no one blames Glen for going too slow.

Of course, when is the last time we saw Glen in a 1999 cup?
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:49 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Chris:
I bought an 04 996 from a dealer in Vegas on 26Mar08 and quickly arranged for a shipper to transport it to Houston. Although this is supposed to be a "busy" route, I only just now got a call from the dispatcher telling me that it will be picked up this Friday and delivered here on Monday. I used a transportation broker; good guys, but all they can do is post an offer on the independent truckers' bulletin board. If a quick delivery is very important to you, you may want to use a company that uses it own trucks.
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried to ship a car from Central Cali to Central Ohio and after a month of waiting and promises from 2 different transporters, I flew out and drove it back myself. If I were you, I'd consider a long weekend trip and pick it up and tow it back yourself. It ends up being cheaper, if you factor your time as not being worth anything.
Old 04-08-2008 | 05:50 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Am I wrong in assuming Intercity indeed has their own fleet of trucks? I am sure that it would not take weeks with these guys. I imagine they just need to line up enough business to fill a truck coming this direction.

I guess I could go myself but. . . .
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:49 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the hurry, Chris???

You won't be sorry with Intercity Lines... they are truly first rate. However, you are at the mercy of the loading schedule. As others have mentioned, they like to fill up the trucks, so your delivery is variable.

The good thing is that the drivers are really good about staying in touch with you. As I understand it, Intercity has their own fleet and the drivers own their rigs.

All of my Intercity drivers were terrific.

Maybe I'll get to pass you now while you 'figure out' the new ride........... NOT!
Old 04-09-2008 | 09:14 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I had my 996 delivered from Seattle to Central Ohio this exact time of year 2 years ago and I was not happy how long it took. I purchased the car and finalized my order for transport through Intercity on (ironicall) 4/9/06. The car didn't show up at my door until 5/18 despite the wording that was in the paperwork about the car being picked up within 7-14 days and then requiring up to another 7 days for transport.

Everytime I called it was a different story about Auction season, then trucks in transit, then broken down trucks waiting for another rig to go in it's place, etc.

However the car was treated well and arrived as described.

Andy
Old 04-11-2008 | 10:04 AM
Chris L.
Pro

I gave up.

Called my brother who is in need of some money. Gave him my GMC 2500 diesel along with my 24' ATC trailer and told him I would cover fuel and expenses plus 1k to go get it for me. He said, "what time do I leave?"

I want the car before next weeks mid week member day at VIR as that is a perfect time to start to get familiar with it.

He has towed car trailers many times and I have Heacock for PST insurance.

I can't wait.
Old 04-11-2008 | 10:15 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris let me know if you are going to make it out to the member day at VIR. We are going to be there on Wednesday testing and doing some coaching. I would love to see this beast in action on its maiden voyage with you.

Quick Reply: Intercity Lines transport question?