Sponsored by:

Undivided Attention @ Track Events

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
HODY905
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undivided Attention @ Track Events

Was at a Pocono DE event this past weekend and an odd incident happened that you might want to be aware. I did not see this incident happen but certainly saw the resultant damage.

One of the participants was driving a 996 cup and as he proceded on track from pit out his hood, which apparently did not have the hood pins engaged, lifted up in to the air and folded over the windshield smashing the glass and also damaging the roof of the car as well as bending the hood in half.

We are all responsible for our own equipment. Some folks at the event wondered how the car got past the staging area where they check things such as doors being closed, hood and trunk lids closed, windows down, helmet chin straps fastened etc., etc.

So this is a good reminder for all of us to check and double check our equipment and not let our attention be diverted before heading out on track.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

This once happened at Roebling - and it had been checked. Unfortunately in the course of the day, something happened to the hood pin and it busted - and when going down the straight-a-way the same thing happened - slapped up to the windshield. Fortunately no one was hurt, but everyone was shaken up quite a bit, especially the driver...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen this happen many times. We get in a rush when our group is called, but the best thing to do is slow youself down a little and take a minute to look at your car before going on track.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I got black flagged this w/e because my driver's door was not fully closed. It hits the cage so it has to be slammed to fully latch. It was closed but not tightly. Pitted, worker slammed it and off I went.

Hood pins are a 'double check' items.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm **** about my hood pins...always asking the grid workers to check, even after I'm belted in. They don't seem to mind. I agree that taking that extra minute and torquing tires and checking things is time well spent. At the last CMP race, I stopped a car going to the grid. His hood was not pushed all the way in and just help by the safety latch. He had probably looked at it, but when he started moving, it popped up. Whenever I see a car heading to grid, i try and give it a once over as they pass me. If you see me, feel free to ask me to check you out as you drive by. I've seen wrenches hanging off cars on the way to grid before. I've also seen a guy jump in the car at a DE while it still had the jack under it! I can happen.

So Randy, how did your car do this weekend? Most everyone I've talked to said there times were not so good. Green track and memories of a wet track, I guess. Seems like the new asphault is slicker than the old.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I have seen this happen many times. We get in a rush when our group is called, but the best thing to do is slow youself down a little and take a minute to look at your car before going on track.
Totally in agreement. If I notice that I'm rushing to get on track, I will re-windex my windshield, or check my oil/lug nuts/tire pressures a second or third time in order to slow myself down. That allows me to be more attentive to details on my car, and help mentally prepare me better for the time out on the hot track.

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Undivided Attention @ Track Events