Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schroth 4 point and HANS safe??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Schroth 4 point and HANS safe??

Is this an ok option for those who want to run harnesses and a HANS in a daily driver type car?? Someone asked me so I wanted some expert opinions.
this is a guy with an M3 used on the streets however modded suspension and R compound tires and racing pads. Is this an ok setup to run?
thanks for the expert input and I will pass it on.
Really only want to know is this ok for DE's and a better set up than just the stock belt and of course no HANS, cause honestly it looks like a pretty good option for some?

thanks

tom

QuickFit Harness Technology

SCHROTH QuickFit and QuickFit Pro harnesses integrate into the existing vehicle safety system. They build on the fantastic success of the SCHROTH Rallye series belts relying on the asm Technology to keep the occupant from submarining under the lap belt as well as reduce head and chest deceleration forces. The difference is in the details as it often is.

These harnesses utilize the available factory female receptacles for attachment points. This is what makes these harnesses so special – they integrate into the airbag system. Many of todays vehicles come with two stage airbag systems that will deploy at different rates depending on whether or not the computer detects that the occupant is buckled in. In a standard 4 point system, there is nothing plugged into the female receptacle, so the computer does not know you are restrained.

In addition, by plugging into the female receptacle, many vehicles (BMW and Mini for example) have a pyrotechnic pre-tensioner built into the receptacle that will automatically tighten the lap belt 2” in an impact. This alone is worth the increase in price over a standard Rallye belt.

Couple the safety benefits with the fact that you can completely remove the harness from the vehicle in less than 10 seconds, you have the best of both worlds: something safe and convenient.

SCHROTH QuickFit restraints are the pinnacle of technology for Street Legal restraints.

ASMŪ Anti Sub Marining Technology

The patented SCHROTH asmŪ system offers an unique safety advantage for 4-point harnesses. asmŪ is the acronym for anti submarining. The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asmŪ safety system. The energy converter is located in the inboard shoulder belt. Therefore make sure you purchase left and/or right harnesses. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asmŪ safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asmŪ safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asmŪ safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags.

Current Head And Neck Supports (HANSŪ) provide further reduction of head deceleration and neck bending.

The asmŪ system on all SCHROTH Rallye and QuickFit belts - excluding the new QuickFit Pro - is not compatible the with HANSŪ. Only belts having a center RFR Cam lock can be used with HANSŪ. (Note the Quick Fit Pro is specifically compatible with HANS)

We recommend that only non asmŪ belts be used in competition harnessbelts.

Racing harnesses without asmŪ must be worn with an anti-sub strap!

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/SchrothASMII.wmv

http://www.schrothracing.com/main
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd call HMS on this one and see if they've had the experience with this. If someone would know about running a HANS with the Schroth 4pt.

If I was going to be running a Scroth 4pt I'd probably take a really hard look at the Safety Solutions R3 instead. I have a feeling without the anti sub belt you are more likely to have a looser shoulder belt.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The quick fit doesn't work with Porsche... Go to the HMS site and see what they work with - BMWs, Minis, etc. I had them with my E46M3 and they only reason I was comfortable with a 4-point is they were tied in with the OEM receivers and pre-tensioners. Designed to work as a system with the OEM equipment and seats (relatively proper alignment). This system just does not work with the Porsche as I understand it and Joe Marko (Mr. HMS) gave a few long seminars about this recently at PCA events. He showed video of 4-points and I'd never put them in my car... Here's the HMS site that's relevant: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-tuning

For Porsche it's at least a roll bar, a proper racing seat with correctly placed harness belt pass-through holes, a 6-point, and then the Hans. Joe also suggested that 2" laps are the way to go now due to the better positioning with the pelvis. Hans - 2" shoulders - On his advice I picked up the Profi II 6H (2" hans for driver, 3" shoulder for passenger -- if I ever get one - I'm feeling lonely because I haven't had a ride-along in a couple of years).
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Quick Fit belts won't work with the HANS since the shoulder belts mount a few inches apart at the lap belts. Your buddy will have to buy the Quick Fit PRO belts as they were specifically designed for HANS use by joining the shoulder belts together at the cam lock like a normal race harness. As usual, HMS has all of the answers:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...it-pro/qfp-bmw
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you guys I appreciate you taking the time to provide good info.

tom
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Oops, missed that M3 reference in your original post. It's not optimal, but it is designed for the M3. I used them and liked the way the system worked - best of both worlds really. Only took about 30 minutes to install the additional anchors.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Guys...same question...the main issue with the porsche is not the seat belts....the VW/Audi parts look to be exactly the same (surprise)....

It is the Porsch OEM seats. They lack holes ....I suppose anyone will get the folding gt2 seat these days, but that is not a cost effective option for me at least.

I am putting in recaro speeds. Given those, I don't see why this would not be safe to be honest. The airbags would work, the asm is there so the 4pt issues go away. Short of a full system, this may be the best option out there IMHO.

Thoughts?

PCA: can you look at this?

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Schroth 4 point and HANS safe??