Sponsored by:

Alonso's whining has now begun

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alonso's whining has now begun

Am overseas and CNN international has just reported that Alonso is unhappy with Renault and he is considering Ferrari for 2009. I have enjoyed reading all the threads on the personalities of the various drivers in F1 and have reserved comment. But man.......isn't this a bit early for him to start whining?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I have said that Alonso would imploid after race #4 -- his home race in Spain where he would be questioned endlessly about his current team and his future plans. Now with Massa floundering, there may be a crack in the driver lineup, but I'd like to see Vettel mature in the 2nd seat rather than Alonso. I just don't see 2 WC in the seats at Ferrari.

I can't believe I'm about to write this , but I have gained more respect for Alonso in these 2 races than in his 2 WC years. It's easy to be a front runner when you have the best car/tires, etc. The Renault is an average car, but Alonso has been driving consistantly, smart, staying out of trouble and making great decisions on track when passing and battling.

The Renault seems to be a better car under lighter fuel loads and it's potential can be seem at the end of stints and at the end of the race as Alonso is putting pressure on others. If they can figure out how to make the car better under heavy loads, they will improve greatly.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see Alonso going to Ferarri while Kimi is there. Even though Kimi probably wouldn't care about team orders, Alonso clearly does. I don't see that as a bad trait, it just wouldn't fit in with Kimi (who may also be a 2 time WDC by next season -hopefully!). Vettel is a better fit. I don't see a competetive seat for Alonso anywhere.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does the title of this thread mean? "Alonso's whining has now begun" ? When did it stop?

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't see Alonso going to Ferarri while Kimi is there. Even though Kimi probably wouldn't care about team orders, Alonso clearly does. I don't see that as a bad trait, it just wouldn't fit in with Kimi (who may also be a 2 time WDC by next season -hopefully!). Vettel is a better fit. I don't see a competetive seat for Alonso anywhere.
And knowing how Luca Di Montezemolo prefers his drivers to be (see below), I doubt he wants Alonso...

"As for Raikkonen, he won and that's enough. I like him because he doesn't whine. He doesn't speak much, but he can carry on that way if he then goes on winning."
-Montezemolo

BTW, I'm wondering what happened to Alonso's superb skills to develop a car?
There were many guys praising him and crediting him to making McLaren (and Renault before that) such a fast and great car, and in McLaren's case, front the race 1!
Why is he so much slower now than Heikki was at the end of last season (when compared to other teams) if he is such an F1 car development genius?
I thought with his skill Renaul should be No. 1 by now...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I give Alonso a lot of credit for making it through two races before he started sobbing like the little school girl he is. It must have taken an incredible amount of fortitude to suppress his nature like that for an entire week.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

How come we all new the Renault would be slow and he didn't. Maybe if we ignore him, he'll just go away.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
BTW, I'm wondering what happened to Alonso's superb skills to develop a car?
There were many guys praising him and crediting him to making McLaren (and Renault before that) such a fast and great car, and in McLaren's case, front the race 1!
Why is he so much slower now than Heikki was at the end of last season (when compared to other teams) if he is such an F1 car development genius?
I thought with his skill Renaul should be No. 1 by now...
Let's be fair here. The Renault was a dog last year. This car is an evolution of that. I still feel he is a talented setup driver. With Mac, it was easier as the car was already quite fast.... when it held together. The Renault was the biggest loser with the switch to one tire and Mac was the biggest winner (of the cars that had to switch) and we all know why that is. Mac was consulted on the design and construction of the new tires for all the teams!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's be fair here. The Renault was a dog last year. This car is an evolution of that. I still feel he is a talented setup driver. With Mac, it was easier as the car was already quite fast.... when it held together. The Renault was the biggest loser with the switch to one tire and Mac was the biggest winner (of the cars that had to switch) and we all know why that is. Mac was consulted on the design and construction of the new tires for all the teams!
It's more clear than ever before that the custom Michelin tires on the Renault during the 2005 and 2006 seasons were better than you could ever imagine. Without them the car is average.

It's funny how after the 1st race and the resignation of Jean Todt as CEO, the rapid decline of Ferrari was iminent. Now after the 2nd race, Ferrari is where Alonso is still looking at signing with. How about BMW? Could Alonso displace Heidfeld?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will not comment/post until Sir A. Wayne, somewhere out in the world, reads this thread on his Blackberry, finds the nearest phone booth and changes into his Fenando Alonso pajamas and cape, finds the nearest tall building and leaps into action to protect the integrity of his 'binky'.

Thank you for understanding.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course, I agree what you're saying.

Just that some people were praising Alonso unrealistically last year and crediting McLaren's succes to him (from the race 1) when in real life that car was designed and developed before he even came to the team and also saying Renault was so bad because he (Alonso) left the team.

This just proves a driver can only do so much and judging by Heikki's pace during latter races last year and Alonso's pace now, I'm not surpriced but it seems some others might be.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Alonso is still the best driver in F1, Heiki is a clown, a no 2 clown, Alonso is a 2 times WDC. comparing heiki to Alonso, what a joke, what's next Kubica to senna Alonso's input is making a big difference at Renault look at Jr , who is as good as heiki or better , the renault is bad , it will take a lot to change that ........ and comparing last years car , with this one is rediculous . now if i where you i would be focusing on Hamilton as you have a lot to lose

He is going to put it on Kimi with his abeng
So Hmmm LH is 2008 wdc and Alonso to ferrari as planned .........
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ring, Ring... Hello? Pinky Jr. better than Heikki? Wayne, get off the sauce. Jr. belongs back in karts.
I was indifferent to Heiki, but the kid just drives, admitted he was on the racing line when he was handed a 5 grid spot and then still got on the podium. Finns don't complain.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Finns don't complain , i guess you never met Petu nor Keke ROsberg

anyway renn is laboriously slow at the moment , so i can't help you , but go ahead and do the research Jr vs Heiki prior to f1, then get back with me about heiki being better ,as he did not have anymore success than Jr before f1 . Jr performance is the same as heiki's was last year this time and he had T/C to ease the pain .........
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys have made whining about whining an art form.

I think the proper descriptor for these threads might be "meta-whining".
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
You guys have made whining about whining an art form.

I think the proper descriptor for these threads might be "meta-whining".
+ 1

How about some real news...

Quick Reply: Alonso's whining has now begun