Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
very nice write up roger. glad to see you had a great time at my home track. sorry about the rain, tornado, and hail. although you can learn so much from driving in the rain, as i know i did when it rained duirng my racing school. i hope everything goes well with your build and your able to have that much fun in your car very soon
I'll shoot you an email next time I'm up there. And yes, you can learn a lot driving in the wet. (wasn't too excited about the tornadoes and hail though)
Originally Posted by schwank
Sounds great! This coming weekend was supposed to be my comp school and first race, but after months of work on various things... over the weekend I went to slide the gauge cluster back in the dash... and BAM... hits the cage dash bar. Given that the car still needed to be aligned and some other tweaks done, there is no way the car is on track by Friday. It's too late to rent a car and I can't stomach a couple grand for the cost anyway.

Which sucks since there is only one SCCA school all year around here. So my 08 rookie year just became my 09 rookie year. Woot.

My advice to you... when you cage is done, check EVERYTHING before you let the car leave the cage shop. Welds, dash fitment, gauge fitment, etc. Sucks to figure out there is a fitment issue after you get it home.
I will, thanks. BTW, you can do Rob's weekend for a bit less than 2k if you are creative. I would call them and see what he can do for you. I think a lot of groups honor each other's license, NASA, SCCA and possibly PCA with a sign-off. Without starting when I did, I probably wouldn't have been able to race this year either....so it was an important weekend for me. Still could be your rookie year!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's actually going to be my angle... I am going to comp school in April with a different organization. The downside of that is the licensing process is different for each sanctioning body. With the ICSCC, you do a ground school and a driver's training day, and then go racing in a Novice-only group. You have to complete three races and a host of turn worker and official duties before you get your actual regional license. Only then can I race SCCA sanctioned races.

I 'might' be able to make one 944 Cup NW race late this summer if I can get my 3 novice races in with Conference first. It's a roundabout way to do it, but I'll get plenty of seat time so... hey.

Certainly am not gonna sit at home on my rear end with this fancy car and shiny new trailer sitting right outside!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
DarinB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schwank,
It sounds like you must be from the PNW. I'm going to be driving in the SCCA school tomorrow. Sorry you're not going to be able to make it. It looks like the weather could be pretty nasty. They are calling for 1/2" of rain/snow. It should be interesting.
Darin
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schwank - you will probably enjoy the Conference novice program. I did. It is a low pressure way to get race experience. The other good part is that there are a lot of schools & novice races available. You could have your 3 novice races done by early June and start racing with whomever you want.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eric... I've seen your car out there a bunch at the last few Cascade enduros. I have a bunch of pics... sweet 968! I'm already signed up for the school on the 25th and 26th of April. I ran a lot of DE days with Cascade last year and I do like their organization... very friendly and laid back.

Can't wait to get out there... it was a really nasty day today anyway for comp school. Snow and sleet... yuck. I'm gonna stop by the track late morning tomorrow to meet some of the 944 cup guys who are going to the school. Darin... will keep an eye out for you as well. What are you driving?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Schwank, SCCA also has a double driver weekend at Roebling that is a four day deal. You do the school and finish enough races to get your license all in one weekend. I don't know much about it, but I had a friend that did it in Feb and had a blast. Be worth checking into. If they have another, I'll do it for the experience.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Roger it all looks cool, tons of fun, I am envious as you are miles ahead of me, but I got my foot on the gas and trying to catch up.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
DarinB
Advanced

Schwank - Weather was intersting this weekend. It was snowing during my first session of the SCCA school. We experienced everything from the weather this weekend: Snow, hail, heavy rain, and dry track. It really wasn't as bad as it might sound and made for learning the car and line at a lot lower speeds. I was in the orange 911 - #67. I made it through the ITE and PCA races unscathed and turned my personal best time of 1:27. It was a blast, but tiring due to 2+ hours of track time over 3 days. We had 4 new 944 guys from Seattle there that were having a blast battling each other(Very nice guys)

Darin
Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Darin... I came out to the track on Saturday morning to meet the 944 guys. I have some pictures of all of you from your practice race right before lunch. I'll try to get them posted online this week. You car looked very nice. Certainly you did get a lot of weird weather!

It was too bad I couldn't be there this weekend but I am on tap for Conference school next month. And there is nothing to motivate you to finish a car like seeing a bunch of other class competition out there on track having fun. We'll see you out there next time around!

Congratulations to all of you guys on your first races. I know how nerve racking it has to be... can't wait to experience it myself!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Roger it all looks cool, tons of fun, I am envious as you are miles ahead of me, but I got my foot on the gas and trying to catch up.
My slippery slope is a cliff!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up. Thanks.

What kind of laptimes does a RX-8 do in RA?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
DarinB
Advanced

Schwank-Thanks. Pictures would be awesome.
Darin
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Great write up. Thanks.

What kind of laptimes does a RX-8 do in RA?
They are capable of 1:40 with a better driver than me.

Quick Reply: 1st Race Experience w/ Photos