Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobahn Country Club corner numbering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Autobahn Country Club corner numbering?

I have two different corner numbering systems shown for Autobahn full circuit track.
One map shows sequential corner numbers from 1a to 21.
The other full track map shows the North track and South track corners numbered as if they are separate: the North starting with 1n and ending with 9n; and the South track starting with 1s and ending with 15s. Which numbering system is usually used for the full track?
I'll also be driving the N & S tracks separately. The separate N & S maps I have show them numbered from 1 to 9 for the North, and 1 to 15 for the South. I assume those are correct when driving only one area?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, even when driving full track I still mentally think of the turns as North/South, i.e. North 3, South 6, etc. I'm a member at Autobahn, and I think if you asked someone what line they take through turn 17, they'd have to sit back and do the math to figure out which turn you're talking about. I've never heard anyone refer to the full-track turn numbers sequentially; they're always referred to as North <whatever> and South <whatever>. So keeping the separate North/South maps in mind is probably the best bet. In the full-track configuration N 1 & N 2 go away, and are replaced by "Link 1" (some track maps may still show N1, but N1 is really just the entrance to the Link).
Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
To be honest, even when driving full track I still mentally think of the turns as North/South, i.e. North 3, South 6, etc. I'm a member at Autobahn, and I think if you asked someone what line they take through turn 17, they'd have to sit back and do the math to figure out which turn you're talking about. I've never heard anyone refer to the full-track turn numbers sequentially; they're always referred to as North <whatever> and South <whatever>. So keeping the separate North/South maps in mind is probably the best bet. In the full-track configuration N 1 & N 2 go away, and are replaced by "Link 1" (some track maps may still show N1, but N1 is really just the entrance to the Link).
+1. There are only two things to really keep in mind when thinking about the differences between N, S, and full track:
1. you will have to option to take N3 using a very different line when running the full course
2. link from N to S going around the club house can be perilous... very perilous.

Good luck out there.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
+1. There are only two things to really keep in mind when thinking about the differences between N, S, and full track:
1. you will have to option to take N3 using a very different line when running the full course
2. link from N to S going around the club house can be perilous... very perilous.

Good luck out there.
What he said.

And I'd add: 3. On the straight between S and N (coming up to N3), remember to get left early, otherwise you'll get some air time as you go over the rise (assuming you're carrying enough speed).
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
speedread
Racer

Thanks. Any more advise is appreciated. Is there a video that best shows a good line? There are a lot of them.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedread
Thanks. Any more advise is appreciated. Is there a video that best shows a good line? There are a lot of them.
I've got some video, but it's all huge (100s of MB). If you've got links you can point me to, I'd be happy to watch them and tell you how they compare to my line (i.e. the slow line ).

Another tip: careful through S3; it's not a challenging turn, but the barrier is close on both sides so a small mistake can result in big damage. That turn probably claims 90% of the cars that get damaged out there.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 AM
speedread
Racer

I've got some video, but it's all huge (100s of MB). If you've got links you can point me to, I'd be happy to watch them and tell you how they compare to my line (i.e. the slow line ).
I would like to see a good quality video of one lap of the full track; one of the N track and one of the S track; all that I could download instead of stream You Tube.

But anyway, how about this one: You tube RSAE Milano Autobahn Country Club video
(I couldn't figure out how to attach a link).
Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 AM
speedread
Racer

Cobrien, I haven't figured it out yet, but I bet there is a way for you to send a large file that I could edit. I have Nero for editing. (Haven't used the video part yet, but sure I can figure it out).
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

So many turns in the full course that I actually taped a map of the track to the dashboard the first time I ran there...

True story, you can ask folks who were there...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedread
Cobrien, I haven't figured it out yet, but I bet there is a way for you to send a large file that I could edit. I have Nero for editing. (Haven't used the video part yet, but sure I can figure it out).
Sent you a PM!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
So many turns in the full course that I actually taped a map of the track to the dashboard the first time I ran there...

True story, you can ask folks who were there...
The only problem with that is that several of the turns at Autobahn look similar, so even if you think you know where you are, you might not be there..... Usually you figure it out when you notice your car filling with grass and mud
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Another tip: careful through S3; it's not a challenging turn, but the barrier is close on both sides so a small mistake can result in big damage. That turn probably claims 90% of the cars that get damaged out there.
+1. I remember seeing an 1,200 mile Challenge Stradale planted in the barrier right there. Apparently $120k in damages to the car.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...Another tip: careful through S3; it's not a challenging turn, but the barrier is close on both sides so a small mistake can result in big damage. That turn probably claims 90% of the cars that get damaged out there.
Another +1. I watched a Cobra replica drop a wheel and shoot across the track & smash the armco on the left (inside) of S3. Seeing that so close scared the s**t out of me ...

Quick Reply: Autobahn Country Club corner numbering?