Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   vir fun: south bend screwup (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/417639-vir-fun-south-bend-screwup.html)

Trj 03-17-2008 08:19 PM

Nice save, glad you made it!

good hands 03-17-2008 08:27 PM

Really nice save }{ . You seem to have a lot of " save " videos :)

iLLM3 03-17-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by smlporsche (Post 5222340)
You were definitely too late on your turn in. You absolutely need to have a sharp turn in, kiss the gators and let the car drift out.
Nice save though...
Just my $.02:)

Exactamundo, doing that and staying on the gas through it, can't really see it in the video but was it wet on the inside and why you didn't take it? Because you were out WIDE?!

Great save though, glad you pulled it off!

sbelles 03-17-2008 08:44 PM

Nice save.

I nearly had a moment at south bend myself on Sat afternoonwhen it started sprinkling . The back end got loose on me right at track out. Luckily the gator seemed to catch it but it's not a good feeling. I took one more lap and called it a session. Kuhmo VRs with 20+ cycles on them weren't real good even on on a damp track and they were totally gone by Sunday. First time I've cycled out a set of VRs before I corded them. Either the PSS9s and camber plates are improving my tire life or I'm not driving it hard enough.

RedlineMan 03-17-2008 09:07 PM

Yo!

Are we awake yet? Yep, that is a serious turn. It's easy to get complacent there, and relax too much... for some reason. You kind of snoozed through the entry, but I'm betting you woke up pretty quick. If you're really toodling, you've got to be as serious there as any turn I can think of anywhere.

Congratulations too for not adding to the thousand hook spin skid marks ending at the tire wall on the left in the dip. Those are all the guys who tried to make something out of nothing. In the end it's much better to just head for the infield than to try and be a hero. That turn takes a definitive steering motion and a planted throttle to have a chance of succeeding.

You may have been OK even turning in a day late if you'd not lifted. In case anyone is wondering why I'm so full of advice for this situation, in this turn... um... well... :rolleyes:

sbarton 03-18-2008 03:57 PM

OT: John, is that your new car in your avatar? Slight upgrade from the 944? ;)

-Scott

MUSSBERGER 03-18-2008 04:22 PM

Were you checking your mirrors to see if anyone saw? Nice save!

Sean F 03-18-2008 04:24 PM

wow, looks like you almost forgot to turn in...good save

gums 03-18-2008 04:53 PM

that's a nice save? he never turned in and then just passengered, way behind on everything.
Lucky is more like it.
"the only difference between a spin and a crash is an impact"

renvagn 03-18-2008 06:28 PM

:) Very nice save and you managed to keep it on the track. The race line is far more early than you will ever see at a DE for that turn. In fact you can hardly run the race line toward the end of an event because of the three feet of track out full of marbles. The camera coverage is usually good at the Rolex and may give you a good perspective.

}{arlequin 03-18-2008 06:38 PM

great input guys. really appreciated. i was doing fine there all weekend and in fact, pushing myself there more and more (i like the scary parts the most), and this time around i guess i fell asleep at the wheel.

next time i'm there, i'll play around/experiment and see what happens if i'm early. curious as to how much speed i can scrub

wanna911 03-18-2008 06:52 PM

If my tape hadnt run out of room on the lap, I had a similar experience only no late turn in, I came around south bend and started to apply throttle and the car went sideways heading down the hill. I knew that if the tail came back around it would whip me into the inside grass, but that wall sure got my attention!!!!!

I have no idea how the car caught itself, when the back end whipped around it stuck and I kept going. If the guy in the Z06 has a video he was right behind me when it happened, I'd like to see it.

gums 03-18-2008 10:53 PM

hey wanna,
read your messages clearly and watch your video. Everyone can tell you that you're doing great, but the writing on the wall clearly tells me that you would do better to back off a notch, if not a few. Speed will come later, otherwise you're gonna have a wreck to repair. Sorry to say, but I think that's more helpful to you than to encourage you to keep it up.

wanna911 03-18-2008 11:12 PM

I do listen to the advice of my peers, but I know when I've gotten to my cars limit. I listened carefully to what the VIR vets were saying about the turn and people trying to save the car from going off track right and then ending up doing the opposite and end up left in the wall. But nothing prepared me for unexpected throttle steer through there which is a different monster, but it's road racing and there are going to be occasional wet your pants moments if you like it or not. I backed off susbstantially through that section for the rest of the weekend.

South Bend is such a tease though always telling you you're a wuss for not going faster, then it tries to bite you.

So I'd consider it lesson learned.

richard glickel. 03-19-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by gums (Post 5225653)
that's a nice save? he never turned in and then just passengered, way behind on everything.
Lucky is more like it.
"the only difference between a spin and a crash is an impact"

Yeah, and the only difference between daytime and night-time is sunlight. The only difference between swimming and drowning is keeping your head above water . . . unless, of course, you're in a submarine, in which case you can remain submerged for a long time, much longer than if you were snorkling or scuba diving . . . .

The only difference between walking and running is pace, although there are different shoes for walking as opposed to running and there are some people who walk really fast, but they're rarely faster than an average jogger even. I think most dogs can walk faster than joggers - but, cats don't walk as fast as most dogs, mainly because they've smaller and have shorter legs. Otherwise there's no difference.