Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   vir fun: south bend screwup (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/417639-vir-fun-south-bend-screwup.html)

}{arlequin 03-17-2008 05:26 PM

vir fun: south bend screwup

mid 'moment' i was already thinking what my next chassis should be.

YouTube - vir zone2

the way i see it, MANY things caused it. not really sure what saved it.

1. too early
2. too hot
3. realized i'd run out of track so straightened the car for more brakes but...
4. ....i cheated and wasn't fully straight
5. not straight + too much brake b/c of panic mode = tail kicks out
6. it's not in my nature to just bag it and ride it out (at least not when i *think* i have a chance)

Patrick E 03-17-2008 05:31 PM

That was a great save - nice driving! I wish I had responded similarly when I put the car off coming out of turn 2 on Sunday afternoon!

smlporsche 03-17-2008 05:35 PM

You were definitely too late on your turn in. You absolutely need to have a sharp turn in, kiss the gators and let the car drift out.
Nice save though...
Just my $.02:)

Bull 03-17-2008 05:41 PM

Yes, you were out there where no man should ever go....but nicely done!

And good job checking the mirror to see "who saw THAT"?:icon107:

Bryan Watts 03-17-2008 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by }{arlequin (Post 5222311)
6. it's not in my nature to just bag it and ride it out (at least not when i *think* i have a chance)

Nice save...but in the future if you don't get it buttoned up, once you drop a wheel off the outside, clutch it in and ride it out. If you already have a wheel off and you try to save it, there's a 90% chance you'll end up in the wall across the track to the left. I've seen it happen 5-6 times.

Looks to me like you simply got out into no-mans land while trying to lose speed where there are marbles and oil (you mentioned a wet track?). If you had just committed to the turn, turned in on time, and used the turn-in to scrub off some speed, you probably could have made it through with less excitement. :burnout:

jester911 03-17-2008 05:52 PM

The double mirror check afterward to gather your sh*t was a nice touch.

bobt993 03-17-2008 06:04 PM

Too wide, a little late on turn-in. If you look at the cars position prior to the apex, there are huge skid marks that line up with your trajectory. Just to the inside is the really dark "preferred line". No farming, saved it, so no harm there. Glad you guys had fun.

}{arlequin 03-17-2008 06:04 PM

for the record, none of the wheels left the pavement, at least not from what i could tell at the time (nor from watching it on a big screen). you can see in the rearview the puff of smoke from the right rear locking up

bryan,
definitely agree on course of action if a wheel got off pavement. i think at that point i'd be lucky to just head down the big hillside. good point ab just riding it out and hoping for a favorable scrub instead of trying to 'fix' it. the 'oh ****' moment certainly would've been smaller then.

speaking of rearview, in most of my other 'save' vids, i have a tendency to hit the mirror w/ my wildly flopping arms. barely touched it this time but still felt the need to readjust it. just one of those things

Barfly 03-17-2008 06:06 PM

Yeah, I agree with the too late of a turn-in, marbles, etc.

________
Jason

TedA 03-17-2008 06:17 PM

Nice save, count yourself lucky........

LVDell 03-17-2008 06:18 PM

Absolutely love the presence of mind to re-adjust the mirror when done saving your ass :cheers:

As others have said, way late on turn-in but I am sure you already know that having driven that track many times. Dear God that is one monster mirror though!

}{arlequin 03-17-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LVDell (Post 5222533)
Dear God that is one monster mirror though!

it lets me see everything except future mistakes

jenk12m 03-17-2008 06:55 PM

very nice save!!

FTS 03-17-2008 07:32 PM

Holly cow, what a save; awesome!!!

A930Rocket 03-17-2008 08:01 PM

I've had a few moments like that where I noticed my hands could not keep up with the steering wheel. I think that's one thing that helps with your save (and mine).