Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 993 RSR

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Great looking car. I'm sure you'll love it.

I've always wondered at what speed or on what type of tracks is the wing extension most useful. Is that wing in a position to always provide optimal or better performance compared to the classic 3.8 wing that is in Larry's 964 in his avatar?

I know they ran those wings at LeMans and other tracks with long, high speed straights.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice car! More info and more pix please!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ignorance Jupe, I couldn't tell you squat about a 964 cup!

This is a real 97 993 RSR, i have the authenticity papers, I also had the VIN verified with Vera at PMNA before the purchase. It has never been pro raced and has 19500km on it. It was ordered from PMNA by a gentleman in FL who raced it in SCCA and PCA for few years, it resided in OH for the next two owners and now is in TN. Mechanically it is a 3.8 motor with a 6 speed G50. adj shocks front rear, around 350 hp as it's built as an endurance motor.

As far as the rear wing, I'm not sure at what speed it makes a difference, I'm sure Mark Kilbort could explain more on extended vs non extended wings.

If anyone sees me at the Road Atlanta club race feel free to stop by. I'll be at the R&R Racing trailer.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wing extended into the "clean air" will produce more downforce with less drag than one that is closer to the car like mine. Alternatively based upon equal size, at the maximum angle of operation, it will just produce more downforce. Once it is in clean air though, making it even higher doesn't do anything more.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

looks awesome, I bet it sounds even better!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
A wing extended into the "clean air" will produce more downforce with less drag than one that is closer to the car like mine. Alternatively based upon equal size, at the maximum angle of operation, it will just produce more downforce. Once it is in clean air though, making it even higher doesn't do anything more.
True. The air is more agitated closer to the body. But here's the part that surprised me: just because you raise the wing up to the roofline or higher doesn't mean the air is moving parallel to the ground. I have big honkin wing uprights, and the air is hitting my wing at roughly the same angle as my rear window -- about 11 degrees. (I tested it with wool tufts suspended on wires.) You have to take this into account when you set the angle of attack for the wing. If 12 degrees is ideal for a wing, then on my car it has to be set at 1 degree relative to horizontal.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
This is a real 97 993 RSR,
FRIGGIN' AWESOME! I look forward to seeing it run at ra next week!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
FRIGGIN' AWESOME!...
FRIGGIN' AWESOME is right! That's a very cool car.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
here's the part that surprised me: just because you raise the wing up to the roofline or higher doesn't mean the air is moving parallel to the ground. I have big honkin wing uprights, and the air is hitting my wing at roughly the same angle as my rear window -- about 11 degrees.
I'll bet that has a lot to do with the angle (and height) of your front window. Next time you run one of your "wind tunnel" tests, check to see how the air flows over the beginning of the roof. I'll bet that you find a huge low pressure area there. The air literally gets launched over the windshield and then is pulled back down by the low pressure created. I would venture a guess that it is a lot less on the newer cars (996/997s). You could try some of those "disrupters" that the Nascar boys have run to see if it helps straighten out the air flow.

Sorry for the OT.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 03-18-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Thanks for the explanations on the wing.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

VERY SWEET... As other's said, post more pics!!

I find it interesting the front fender louvers are forward of the aluminum wheel / cooler dividing plate. I thought typical front fender louvers were to remove air generated from the rotating wheel. ...comments?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoeMag
I find it interesting the front fender louvers are forward of the aluminum wheel / cooler dividing plate. I thought typical front fender louvers were to remove air generated from the rotating wheel. ...comments?
Louvers can be used to vent anything...they don't have to be used to vent a wheel well just because they happen to be located on a fender. These louvers seem to be used to allow air to pass into the bumper openings, up and through the coolers located in front of the wheel.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JoeMag
VERY SWEET... As other's said, post more pics!!

I had originally thought the same thing, but this one is set up so the air going through the oil coolers exits through the vents.

I'll get more pics up soon.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

HOT.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
I had originally thought the same thing, but this one is set up so the air going through the oil coolers exits through the vents...
Exactly. There probably isn't holes underneath the bumper in front of the front wheel (where stock 993 vents the hot air down)?

Changing the air route to go up instead of down & under the car is much better for earodynamical reason.

Where are the additional pics?!

Quick Reply: New to me 993 RSR