Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM reading stock 993 wheel speed sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Sean, my experience (or what I've seen from my colleage's), is now the cages are looked at pretty close (at least in our region). ...know several folks who were denied log books because tube wasn't 360 welded (like 1/8" short). I can say that in the beginning cages were not looked at that closely as I raced in some of nasa's first races here in Ohio.

Gary, my issue is the diagonal main hoop brace. It must be one continueous piece and horizontal brace (seat belt bar), must be two.

Regarding the AIM Dash, I talked with AIM and it's definately not fast enough to use the abs sensor. It can read 50hz and a 25" wheel at 180mph (yea, i will not get going that fast), is going at 41 rev's/sec so we're talk'n single pulse per rev to get below 50hz.

I do have the AIM gps setup, but I want to monitor all 4 wheel speed for detection of wheel lock up. I have a call back to AIM to see how how fast this thing does the speed calc.
Yeah, that stuff does get looked at. It's easy to pick out, unlike the 180 degrees of bend in the main hoop rule or others.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Gary, my issue is the diagonal main hoop brace. It must be one continueous piece and horizontal brace (seat belt bar), must be two.
I'm a bit confused. I have a Safety Devices cage that I added a diagonal to go from the top of the hoop behind my head to the bottom of the upright behind the passenger's seat (at the floor) to meet NASA spec. I already had a diagonal from my head to the rear passenger quarter brace and the cross bar (harness bar) between the uprights. My hoop is one piece, have no idea what you are referring to when you say the "horizontal brace (seat belt bar), must be two". A two piece harness bar?? That can't be right.. The only other thing I knew was required was a 2nd door bar and a head restraint (Halo in my case). Again, it's most likely my reading something incorrectly.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at pic below. Bar that has green arrow pointing to it must be one piece, all the way from passanger floor to top corner of main hoop on drivers side. Red arrows are the two piece 'harness bar' I'm talking about.

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Yep, the green arrow is the bar I had added, but I guess my confusion is the two piece harness bar. Mine is one bar welded on both ends to the uprights. My door bar follows the seat contour and I had one made that matches it and am welding it in about 2" above the original. I like that idea anyway but I think the added diagonal is overkill.. my hoop is already braced with the bar marked "optional" on that drawing.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, few cutting wheels and sanding disks later it's gone. Makes such a mess...

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: AIM reading stock 993 wheel speed sensors?