Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window egress with containment seat - NASA rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose the most reasonable solution would be to use the Racetech 4009 with a right side net instead of the 4009HR (the head restraint model). The 4009 should have the same fit as the 4009HR, as the dimensions are all exactly the same.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It helps to talk these things through with people who have 'been there'.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading the ccr and can not find the exact requirements regarding the placements or locations for the right side net. How close does it have to be from the head or right shoulder? How high does it need to be compared to the drivers head? Or shoulder? Or arm?

What is known?

Anyone from NASA Florida please help.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would move the seat and controls back if I was in your situation. If the halo seat is impossible to escape from, a standard seat can't be easy. Give yourself some more room.
Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
No way I was going to exit my car with the HANS and the halo seat.
That is a big reason why I don't understand the SFI 38.1 requirement.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brinkley
I have been reading the ccr and can not find the exact requirements regarding the placements or locations for the right side net. How close does it have to be from the head or right shoulder? How high does it need to be compared to the drivers head? Or shoulder? Or arm?

What is known?

I'm no expert, but from what I understand:
Net as close to parallel with the centerline of the car as possible.
Top strap intersects center of helmet.
Mid strap intersects shoulder.
Net wraps around seat to help support seat itself.
Collars used on cage mounting points to prevent belt slippage.

I'm probably missing something, but someone will chime in.

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
I would move the seat and controls back if I was in your situation. If the halo seat is impossible to escape from, a standard seat can't be easy. Give yourself some more room.
I see what you're saying, but with my current non-containment seat I can get out ok. It's just that head bolster on the halo seat that extends right into the opening making it impossible to squeeze through.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short or tall, it is the same problem;

Short seat position fills the door aperture with halo. Tall has to scrunch a bigger body to fit through a bigger (but not big enough) space. Same result; It can be hard to get out!

The only way around using a halo seat and getting out is to have an FIA seat on FIA sliders.

Originally Posted by Brinkley

What is known?

Hey;

The belt wraps around the side bolsters of the seat, so it as far away from the head as that. The top strap should be at chin level to catch a majority of the head, but not high enough to restrict sideward vision. The bottom (or another if it is a 3-or-more strapper) should be somewhere about mid-upper arm to catch the shoulders and torso.

The angle of the belts pictured may vary as to mounting point position, but the position at the body whould be similar.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I spent a few hours looking at this last night. I removed the instrument cluster and vents. (89 S2) The ideal location for the front mounting point is just to the right side of the inst cluster. I can see, touch, the fire wall from there. Problem is if I use that mounting point the net is to close to my hand when moving on the wheel. I don't want to go to far to the right as it pushes the front part of the net to the right. I think the head would follow the angled path of the net. The front mounting point needs to be behind one of the center vents. I think the dash needs to come out to get the net to that point. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:33 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I spent a few hours looking at this last night. (....) The ideal location for the front mounting point is just to the right side of the inst cluster. (.....) Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Hey Don;

Let me modify your perspective just a tad.

- First, trying to do a side net and get it perfect in a car that you cannot REALLY modify to suit the need is tough. Another way of saying The Stocker It Is, the Tougher It Is.

- Second, The angle of the net front to back - relative to the car's center line - is somewhat important, BUT... there is some leway. The idea is to keep side travel of the body to a minimum. If the net does this in any way, it is doing a decent job. Converting some of the side travel to forward travel is also not a bad idea. Even if a net is at a bit of an angle, if it converts a decent percentage of side travel to forward, it is serving a good purpose. The forward direction is where most safety equipment - and the human body - work best under duress.

In other words, if the mount point at the dash is a bit more toward the passenger side than where the net comes around the side of the seat (like say, and equal distance to either side of the tunnel), it will still ultimately keep you from travelling sidewards to an extreme. Further, you really can't expect to get it straight forward from seat to dash and not interfere with the shifter. A certain amount of offset is necessary here. Normally a hand-width at the shifter is good. Getting a clear shot at the shifter is part net height, and offset to the passenger side.

If anyone thought seats & belts, and H&N were tricky, try a side net! It's even tough in a fully fabricated car!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

John,

In your picture and a very upright seat the front attachment of the side net seems above the usual dashbar height. So is anyone connecting the front sidenet attachment to say a window bar also used to support lexan windows?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm also a fan of seats bolted to the cage. So sliders are verbotten! so I find if you use a 20 degree layback seat vs an upright seat this helps egress tremendously as does using properly made NASCAR bars vs an X bar. Forget about A-piller support tube that will kill egress...how about helping out by using say 0.120wall tube vs legal 0.95 wall tube for the A-piller tube and gussetting to the A-pill all the way up to the roof. Perhaps that a decent compromise.

I have love hate with my full containment seat. If the car crushes at all you are basically trapped in there. A mild injury can prevent you from being albe to skirm around and extracate yourself. I have crashed before and I am glad to have the seat for that.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I spent a few hours looking at this last night. I removed the instrument cluster and vents. (89 S2) The ideal location for the front mounting point is just to the right side of the inst cluster. I can see, touch, the fire wall from there. Problem is if I use that mounting point the net is to close to my hand when moving on the wheel. I don't want to go to far to the right as it pushes the front part of the net to the right. I think the head would follow the angled path of the net. The front mounting point needs to be behind one of the center vents. I think the dash needs to come out to get the net to that point. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
I don't have the net yet, so I haven't had a chance to play with different mounting locations. But as an option I was thinking going over the dash rather than through it. Not sure how well that would work. You could bolt or weld a metal plate to the firewall (see to the right of my photo), with a D-ring welded to the top of the plate. This would locate the net up higher at the shifter so you're not bumping into the net while shifting, and would only require a small slot to be cut from the rear of the dash up by the windshield for the plate to go through. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if it would hinder the view of the right side mirror.

Here's a crappy drawing of what I'm thinking (which also might be crappy)...
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jim;

That's not a bad idea. However, in my experience, the perfect location is usually right about where that supplemental gauge is in the old vent opening. The point at the top of the dash would probably put the top strap right in your sight line, unless you were really sitting tall in the saddle. Untill you get the net, you won't really know. You're on the right track with the 3 strap Safety Solutions one, though.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I concur with John. My net would go right through your right most gauge. At that angle and elevation, my shifter and sight to the right are not blocked at all. Any higher or closer to the left and it would be an issue.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I installed the 4009HR in my 924S this winter. I'm short and with the roll cage it's a pretty tight fit. I was practicing today and I can get out with my helmet and R3 in 10 seconds using the door, I have yet to practice with the door shut, but I will probably head for the passenger side in that situation.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:34 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

Remove the remaining vent to the right of your instruments and attach the net's front fastener in there (to the firewall).

Richard
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

When mounting your passenger seat (if required...such as Stock class PCA) mount it as far to the rear as possible. My passenger seat is only inches from the rear seat humps. With a Halo seat the passenger door is usually the best/only way out and you don't want that passenger seat in your way.

Quick Reply: Window egress with containment seat - NASA rules