How much faster is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 02:35 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default How much faster is this?

Two similar stock 996 GT3's.

The course: 1:30 second track with a lot of twist and turns, short straights.

GT3 #1: Stock wheels with 1/2 used Toyo R888

GT3 #2: Lightweight wheels (possibly Kinesis wheels) with new Hoosier R6

Question: Assuming similar drivers, approximately how much faster per lap would you expect car #2 to be on this type of course?
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Why don't you run have driver 2 run the session and then come in and put driver #1's wheels on his own car and see? That is the only way to really tell.

On a 2min track I have seen a 3 sec difference personally moving from a Nitto NT01 (same comp as R888) to a R6 on the same wheels.
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Why don't you run have driver 2 run the session and then come in and put driver #1's wheels on his own car and see? That is the only way to really tell.
That's too much work. You statistic guys... sheesh... I'm only looking for approximates or persons that have experienced similar. Thanks Dell... just busting your

This gives me some baseline. Dell, were those times with the same rims? The less unsprung/rotating mass has to account for something too.
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Well, from personal experience, I ran with my good friend Chris L at VIR recently and my best time on R6's with stock wheels was a 2:06 and his time on Pirelli slicks with Fikse Motorsport wheels was a 2:04.3. Then I moved to slicks (scrubs actually) on BBS Motorsport E88 wheels and ran my fast lap of a 2:04.8 so I would say that we are very similar in time at VIR. I have no idea what I will run on a new set of Pirelli slicks (I will at Zone 2 :jumper) but I can't imagine it is more than a second give or take.

So with that data set, I would say 2 seconds?
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:57 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by flight747

Question: Assuming similar drivers, approximately how much faster per lap would you expect car #2 to be on this type of course?
My guess would be (given it is a track with lots of turns):
- beginer driver - no difference
- 25 trackday experience - 1 second
- fast driver - 2 seconds

I wouldn't attribute anything more than a 1/10 or two to the lighter wheels.
Old 03-03-2008 | 03:01 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Same driver might not produce total obtainable results with a single run of one or the other. You need to use all that a tire has to offer in order to get the best lap times. Same driver might drive the sticky tires using the same methods he is used to with the less stick tires.

Same car, same driver, same conditions, one day each.

The above is a truly bad answer BTW.
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by flight747

I would guess 1 to 1.5 seconds. That is only assuming the driver can push the car hard enough to see the gain from the R6. Also this is if you take the average lap times from an entire session and compare them to another entire session. Other assumptions are proper tire pressures and camber for both tires and similar track conditions, (air temp & surface temp).

I do not believe you will see a difference in lap times from the wheels as this time delta will be smaller than the typical lap to lap variation on most drivers (even very solid ones).
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So? I guess the big question is..........where are you going with this Pete?
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
So? I guess the big question is..........where are you going with this Pete?
Nowhere special Dell, only to the tire dealer (as mentioned in my location). A guy I was 3 seconds faster than with similar tires a couple weeks ago, just beat me in a time trial by .7 seconds with new R6's and lighter rims.

I tried to heed the advise of y'all and stay away from the crack called Hoo Hoos, but I don't like being beat. I was out "tire'd" and wanted to know the approximate time delta.
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You'd easily get .7 seconds!
Old 03-03-2008 | 08:55 PM
spare tire
Racer

Now that the whole reason came out I would say 1.5 - 2 seconds easy. Yes you got out tired, join the club. And when you finally make the move to Hoosiers your friend will jump to slicks and let the financial carnage begin....
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spare tire
Now that the whole reason came out I would say 1.5 - 2 seconds easy. Yes you got out tired, join the club. And when you finally make the move to Hoosiers your friend will jump to slicks and let the financial carnage begin....
I had flashbacks when I used to race karts when it was everything you could do to have new tires for each race, refresh your engine often, etc. etc. Money pit 101. My sponsors were Visa and Mastercard

I can't make every time trial so I'm not going to go for the season point competition, but I was just curious. My thought was roughly 1.5-2 seconds as well. I'm going to stay away from the crack...... for now....
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:33 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Ah the pull of competitive driving. You do your qualifying and your competition is .5-1 second faster. You KNOW there's 1-2 seconds in that new set of $1,000 Hoosiers. Do you take you chances at getting beat or buy the tires?????
Remember, that 1-2 seconds is only good for about 6 laps.
Me? I'm focusing on trying to find that 1-2 seconds in driving technique...well, until the race anyway. Damn! Those new Hoosiers look fast....
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:30 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pat056
Ah the pull of competitive driving. You do your qualifying and your competition is .5-1 second faster. You KNOW there's 1-2 seconds in that new set of $1,000 Hoosiers. Do you take you chances at getting beat or buy the tires?????
Remember, that 1-2 seconds is only good for about 6 laps.
Me? I'm focusing on trying to find that 1-2 seconds in driving technique...well, until the race anyway. Damn! Those new Hoosiers look fast....
Or, I guess now one could be a REAL putz and buy a set of hoosier a6s (which are apparently now for SOME reason allowed), go out, and second lap rip a stupid qualifying time...god damn it....
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I had a student recently in a T1 Vette that was schredding his tire with the sidewall of the rear fender and was smoking really bad so we were blacked flagged (session1) and came in. So when we got into the pits we (me and the event organizers) took a look and his fender was coverd in "drippy" rubber and his tire felt like hot gum that has been on the pavement in July for hours. You could literally depress the rubber. Low and behold it wasn't a R6 he was running but rather a A6!!! I explained to him that was an auto-x cross tire and intended for 1 minute run NOT a 30 minute session!!! He promptly told me that "ALL THE VETTE GUYS RUN THIS TIRE NOW". Unfrickenbelievable. Needless to say I didn't go back out with him (there were other safety issues inside the car that I won't get into here).

Quick Reply: How much faster is this?