Sponsored by:

Trailer - Electric controler Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer - Electric controler Q

I just am hooking up a trailer set up to my Ford F-150, i have a Trailex trailer with electric brakes. I am looking at controllers, Inertia, and Proportional. I am looking at the Prodigy Inertial controller, as I have heard its the best. So is the Inertial the way to go?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I need to make a correction, see I am really confused. the Prodigy is proportional
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

All I can add is I have the Prodigy 90185 in my 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax/Allison 6 spd. and I couldn't give a higher praise. I installed it and it was plug-and-play, 2 screws to mount the controller and plugged right into my fuse box. I never feel anything when braking as far as the trailer pulling or pushing. I actually use my brakes very little except in town due to the Trailer package and the Allison 6 spd braking. I never even adjusted it, just worked perfectly from day 1.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My company sells loads of brake controllers a year - mostly the Prodigy although the others are good too. The Prodigy is just easier to use. The Voyager is old reliable. Been around a long time and it works.

Skip the cheapo stuff. They are usually time activated. The longer you hold the brakes, the harder the brakes on the trailer are applied. Not good when you need brakes NOW!

Proportional good.

Inertia crap.

http://www.tekonsha.com/product1.html
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I installed it and it was plug-and-play, 2 screws to mount the controller and plugged right into my fuse box.
Everytime I hear this I get angry because supposedly I have the mother of all
SUVs (Range Rover) and my dealership isn't really sure how to hook one up. The local truck/trailer place that does all sorts of brake controller installs says, "oh a Range Rover, you're going to have to get the dealership to do that because we don't touch those cars...."

Dohhhhhh
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the European SUVs have very different wiring from the domestic SUVs/trucks. A local place here charges about $150 to set up a new domestic vehicle, and over $600 for the European vehicles.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this help?

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfittin...m/harness.html
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
My company sells loads of brake controllers a year - mostly the Prodigy although the others are good too. The Prodigy is just easier to use. The Voyager is old reliable. Been around a long time and it works.

Skip the cheapo stuff. They are usually time activated. The longer you hold the brakes, the harder the brakes on the trailer are applied. Not good when you need brakes NOW!

Proportional good.

Inertia crap.

http://www.tekonsha.com/product1.html
How much for a Prodigy?

Any idea for cost of an install on a T-Reg?? The one place I checked didn't want to touch it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
Yeah, that helps me feel warm and fuzzy about buying my Chevy 2500 HD! Holy smokes!

Here's my model, came down $10 since I bought it - http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=BC
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most current trucks/SUV's my 4Runner has a plug to accept a harness that hardwires to the back of the controller. Toyota includes the harness as part of the tow package. I think it was a 5 minute install with all of the time spent crimping the four wires into bullet connectors. When I'm not towing i unplug the controller and stash it in the glovebox.

I think the new Ford HD trucks have a controller built into the truck. That's pretty cool.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This does work. It took several hours to install a Prodigy brake control in my 2003 Range Rover using these instructions as a guide.

I get a fast turn signal when my lights are on, but the braking function works very well. This may be due to LED lights on my Trailex. Anybody else have this issue with a RR or BMW X5 (same basic wiring harness)?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
How much for a Prodigy?

Any idea for cost of an install on a T-Reg?? The one place I checked didn't want to touch it.
We've done a couple but not for awhile.

Touregs of old had a peculiar way of wiring them. They had to be done a specific way. There was a TSB but this is back about 4 yrs.

I don't believe there is much issue now although the last generation Cayenne did not like Prodigys.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
How much for a Prodigy?

Dave, you have a PM...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the new Ford HD trucks have a controller built into the truck. That's pretty cool.
Chris- They've actually had them since the '06 model year and was my main reason for choosing the Super Duty over a GM product. It works extremely well and integrates the trucks ABS into the system. Couldn't ask for a better set up.

I saw recently that GM now does this as well with some of their '08 line.

If you're buying a new truck this is a must have option if you do any towing.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Chris- They've actually had them since the '06 model year and was my main reason for choosing the Super Duty over a GM product. It works extremely well and integrates the trucks ABS into the system. Couldn't ask for a better set up.

I saw recently that GM now does this as well with some of their '08 line.

If you're buying a new truck this is a must have option if you do any towing.
I'm told that the new '09 F-150 will also have the integrated brake controller.

Quick Reply: Trailer - Electric controler Q