Sponsored by:

HANS fit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HANS fit question

I just got my HANS Sport (thanks Apex!). My collard shirt size is 16.5"-17" so I bought the medium. I just slipped it on and I feel like it's going to push down pretty hard on my neck/shoulder muscles once I get strapped in.

I'm a first time HANS user. Is this just something I need to get used to? Should I go up to the "Large" size to accommodate my massive Traps?

As far as the device itself is concerned, it's a well done piece. It has pretty aggressive "wings" and according to the Fed-Ex scale it weighs 2.65 lbs. (model 20M). I got the sliding tethers which is one of those items that seems so obvious that it should have been introduced sooner.

It even has a little recycle triangle #7 on it. I don't think I'll be recycling it anytime soon however.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
I just got my HANS Sport (thanks Apex!). My collard shirt size is 16.5"-17" so I bought the medium. I just slipped it on and I feel like it's going to push down pretty hard on my neck/shoulder muscles once I get strapped in.

I'm a first time HANS user. Is this just something I need to get used to? Should I go up to the "Large" size to accommodate my massive Traps?

As far as the device itself is concerned, it's a well done piece. It has pretty aggressive "wings" and according to the Fed-Ex scale it weighs 2.65 lbs. (model 20M). I got the sliding tethers which is one of those items that seems so obvious that it should have been introduced sooner.

It even has a little recycle triangle #7 on it. I don't think I'll be recycling it anytime soon however.
if the horse shoe fits your neck, it's right size.
even if you go bigger, once you pull the harness, they will push down on the hans and on to your shoulder regardless of size.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

it does slide over my neck but it touches. I guess what I am saying that even before it hits my shoulders it begins to grab my neck muscles.

Does anyone wear these without the shoulder padding? Dry fitting, it fits better without the padding. I imagine that would create some serious bone hot spots once I'm strapped in.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive w/o the pads because my Bell helmet is too long for my neck. With the pads causes the helmet to hit the Hans and push up covering my edit <neck> eyes. It doesn't really hurt.

Be sure to fit the harnesses corectly. The 'buckles', 'adjusters' on the shoulder straps are suppose to be right at the bottom of the Hans w/o going past the end. This matters!!!

Last edited by paradisenb; 02-19-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you got the right size.

I also received my new HANS Sport yesterday from Apex. I agree that the sliding tether is a no-brainer, although it took forever for me to swap the helmet anchors.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

i think you need a large. I tried both M and L on at OG Racing years ago and the M just wasn't sitting right, same traps problem.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
i think you need a large. I tried both M and L on at OG Racing years ago and the M just wasn't sitting right, same traps problem.
+1. The numbers said I needed a Medium, but when I tried the Large it fit much better. The pads are a pain, they always feel like they are going to cut my neck when I put it on.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrisp
it does slide over my neck but it touches. I guess what I am saying that even before it hits my shoulders it begins to grab my neck muscles.

Does anyone wear these without the shoulder padding? Dry fitting, it fits better without the padding. I imagine that would create some serious bone hot spots once I'm strapped in.
the padding are velcro'd on. you can adjust them to not rub. if the plastic/CF part rubs your neck, then it's too small.

but regardless of size, when you pull down the harness, you should feel some force crushing your collar bones.

i cannot wear it without padding, my collar bones would crack. with padding they still feel like bruised at the end of the day (you dont see bruise marks, but i have the identical pain as if they were bruised)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd agree with the others. I'd try on the large to see how it fits.

As for the pads. I hate the way the HANS pads feel. Both the regular and the gel. I ran without pads all last year.

There is a company that makes a thinner pad that fits much nicer. Zoombang. They are 45 bucks I think. I have some demo ones on the way after I saw them at PRI. Zoombang makes kart protection and seems to be just starting in with the HANS pads. They aren't listed on their site yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. The issue I see is that the distance between the two legs of the horseshoe at it's narrowest point is 4.25". This means that any neck with a circumference of 13.25" or greater will rub the horseshoe as you put it on. If the rule is that the horseshoe shouldn't touch the neck when putting it on how can they claim it's for neck sizes 15"-17.5"?

At the widest point it's a little over 5.5" which means a neck circumference of 17.5" is the widest...which means there's no room for underwear or a suit for someone with a 17.5" neck.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:08 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 16-16.5 neck and I wear a medium. If I was a 17 I'd probably go to a Large. No matter what size you buy, the Hans isn't going to be comfortable. Every weekend leaves my collar bones sore.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Tom N
Instructor

I used a Hans the first time last weekend at Roebling Road. I measure 17 3/4 for a custom shirt, and have the 20L Hans with standard pads and QD tethers.

I did not notice it touching my neck once I put it on ( I was wearing a balaclava). It took a couple of sessions to get comfortable with it, but I had no brusing marks or feel after the weekend.

The snugger the harness was, the better it felt.

Are the "sliding tethers" something new ? I got my device in November (thanks to Rennlist sponser Apex) and was unaware of a choice other than standard or QD. Do the sliders let the head rotate for more lateral movement ?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom N - Sliding tethers are new from Hans - we just received our first shipment of them last week - the kit is $75. Availble with standard mounting only - no Quick Disconnect yet. You can get them here http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1585&cid=29

ChrisP- Regarding sizing, if you need to exchange for a size large, let us know. Everyone has given good feedback - the yolks on the device are angled toward the chest - the original models were straight down but limited side-to-side mobility so the yolks are now angled, so no matter what size you get, the device will be snug sliding it over the neck. And the harnesses will press down on the shoulders and yolks of the device. Note that HANS will be offering the new Sport series in sizes Small and Large but they are still in production with an estimated availability date of mid to end of March. The padding on the device is on there for comfort only, so they can be adjusted or taken off. It will not affect the performance of the device.

You should have the correct model (20) but one sure way to check is sit in the car and put an angle-meter on your chest. The angle reading will determine the model Hans you need.

If we can help with anything, feel free to give us a call to determine fitment or stop in if you are near us. 866-505-2739.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

what does the sliding teather do? ( i know it slides, but what is the benefit)?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The way I see it is there are 2 major benefits.

1. When you go off course and need to reenter it is extremely helpful to have more vision to the sides. There was one time last year where I had a spin in the rain and couldn't see back up the course or the corner workers. One of the corner workers ran down the wall and got into my field of view. I went out to the corner later to thank them for being so aware.

2. In the paddock it helps as well.

Other than that I have never needed any extra side to side vision while on course

Quick Reply: HANS fit question