Sponsored by:

Bad Shops and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:24 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad Shops and Experiences

Reading the thread on alignment shops got me thinking -- what sort of cautionary tales do our members on this board have when dealing with independent Porsche shops? I've dealt with a number of shops that were either incompetent or were extremely arrogant and difficult to deal with. And each of these shops that I went to were highly recommended by both people who were supposedly "in the know."

So what do you look for when you choose a shop to work on your car? Or do you just avoid that situation entirely and work on your own car?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuenfer,

I live in an area that for a long time was dependent on independent shops for Porsche repairs. A few years ago, we had a Porsche dealership open with a service department and times changed.

However, in that period of time without a dealership nearby we did what you did. We received recommendations of shops anywhere from 1 mile to 250 miles away from our front door. We learned that the folks that made the recommendations and had great work done - that the work done was the speciality of that particular shop and didn't mean he/she could do the rest of the work. So when the transmission was rebuilt it went 150 miles to the North, when the engine was tuned it went 35 miles to the South. The trick was to find out the speciality of each shop that was independent.

It was quite a change from where we were from. But then anything away from New York City is quite a change... but there we had a mechanic that specialized in Ferraris and Porsches - now retired to Florida...and one shop that, well, if a dealer wasn't in his territory - he'd probably would have received a Porsche Service Shop from PCNA....
Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of both examples in my area.

One indy is an arrogant slob who does the worst work you can imagine for high prices and bad-mouths you if you complain your wheel was falling off at the track. He never hesitates to tell customers he knows where Moses is buried and the customer is a fool. Prices not proportional to quality of the work. Quit going there.

The other indy is run by a pleasant mechanic who, if he doesn't know what he is doing will tell you when you get there. He has been doing Porsches for years so really knows quite a lot. He will do what you ask and not try to convince the customer he is a know-nothing slob. Prices proportional to the quality of the work.Go there now.

Both indys within 5 mi of one another. I don't even think about the dealer as I have a 951 car and got a completely blank stare the first time I went there.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I enjoy repeating the story I got when I bought the latest roller for my D class car.

Older woman and her husband had a 78 SC, purchased new, with 63K on it and had it sold to a friend of theirs. As a nice gesture she brought it to a nearby shop and asked to have the oil changed as the new owner was picking the car up 4 days later, on a Friday I believe. She was told to call for the car on Wednesday afternoon to arrange for PU Wed. evening. Called, mechanic answers and said the car wasn't done and she needed to speak with the owner, call back Thursday morning. Calls and speaks with him and he says the car won't be ready because it has broken head studs!! She tells him to just change the oil (as the work order she signed clearly stated) and to get the car ready for pick up. Then he tells her the engine is completely disassembled (split case and all!) and the estimate is $12K if she wants the car back! She says "there must be some mistake" and he looks again and says yes, there is.. Whew.. he then tells her the front brake calipers/rotors, etc. all had to be replaced and that was another $3k.. and it was already done! She sued, won, and sold me what was left.. Shop was in NJ but I won't name it as all this comes to me secondhand. It's a good story though!

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-19-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest problem I see with Indy shops is some are great bussinessmen and poor mechanics and and some are great mechanics and poor bussinessmen!
The advice I would give is ask folks opinions and then ask why. Some people have honest complaints and some folks would complain if the car's 5 minutes late to be ready. At least that's my experience.
I would love to hear some Indy's comments as I would imagine Porsche owners can be a hard lot to please.
I must say, I've seen the arrogance too, usually not until they have your car and it's in pieces.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Reading the thread on alignment shops got me thinking -- what sort of cautionary tales do our members on this board have when dealing with independent Porsche shops? I've dealt with a number of shops that were either incompetent or were extremely arrogant and difficult to deal with. And each of these shops that I went to were highly recommended by both people who were supposedly "in the know."

So what do you look for when you choose a shop to work on your car? Or do you just avoid that situation entirely and work on your own car?
pm sent
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Oh! could I write a small book on this topic, but I won't. Many know my story. All I can say is get references, check things out twice, question everything. My problems are all related to a race car. If your having a street car worked on your problems should be as bad.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I enjoy repeating the story I got when I bought the latest roller for my D class car.

Older woman and her husband had a 78 SC, purchased new, with 63K on it and had it sold to a friend of theirs. As a nice gesture she brought it to a nearby shop and asked to have the oil changed as the new owner was picking the car up 4 days later, on a Friday I believe. She was told to call for the car on Wednesday afternoon to arrange for PU Wed. evening. Called, mechanic answers and said the car wasn't done and she needed to speak with the owner, call back Thursday morning. Calls and speaks with him and he says the car won't be ready because it has broken head studs!! She tells him to just change the oil (as the work order she signed clearly stated) and to get the car ready for pick up. Then he tells her the engine is completely disassembled (split case and all!) and the estimate is $12K if she wants the car back! She says "there must be some mistake" and he looks again and says yes, there is.. Whew.. he then tells her the front brake calipers/rotors, etc. all had to be replaced and that was another $3k.. and it was already done! She sued, won, and sold me what was left.. Shop was in NJ but I won't name it as all this comes to me secondhand. It's a good story though!
Gary, I'd hazard a guess as to which shop it was, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about a number of shops in NJ, so I'd probably be naming about half the Jersey shops.

BTW, who's your preferred shop in CT?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

The real good ones are perfectionists, dam few that can do it all Frame - Susp. - Engine/trans. and hang body. When you find one they are worth every bit of the $85 or what ever per hour. The problem lies in paying for all the hours do do the job really right!! The prior comment on references is right on.
Attached Images       
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Gary, I'd hazard a guess as to which shop it was, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about a number of shops in NJ, so I'd probably be naming about half the Jersey shops.

BTW, who's your preferred shop in CT?
I use Dan Jacobs LLC and couldn't possibly be more pleased with him or how I am treated by everyone in his shop. I consider everyone there a friend now, and I doubt I am the exception.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on getting multiple references. All you can do is choose a shop that has a preponderance of satisfied customers.

As I have discussed with some in PMs, there hasn't been a shop mentioned in this thread so far (in the Northeast) where there hasn't been at least one dissatisfied customer story heard in the recent past (and the shop involved in the ladies horror story told above hasn't been mentioned at all).
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
+1 on getting multiple references. All you can do is choose a shop that has a preponderance of satisfied customers.
Exactly.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
some folks would complain if the car's 5 minutes late to be ready.
I believe there is a lot of this going around... I believe the complaints on the other thread began over wheel weight of all things.

+2 on getting multiple references.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Oh! could I write a small book on this topic, but I won't. Many know my story. All I can say is get references, check things out twice, question everything. My problems are all related to a race car.
You too, huh? The one thing I would add would be to get EVERYTHING in writing. I hate surprises, especially when they come in $2000+ increments.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
The one thing I would add would be to get EVERYTHING in writing. I hate surprises, especially when they come in $2000+ increments.
Man... excellent point! I don't know why I never seem to have the gumption (or the guts) to require all quotes in writing. Some of the miscommunication this would have saved over the years...

Quick Reply: Bad Shops and Experiences