Sponsored by:

Need opinions on a trailer setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
tfro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Yeah, I went thru the same logic... It's a close call. storage around here is more like 100 bucks a month, and the closest place is the same u-haul location where I would rent a trailer to begin with. $1200 per year on top of the trailer purchase for an option that shares some of the same trailer rental hassles just doesn't feel right.
I was told it'd be 50 a month for uncovered at the storage places around work, which is along the Carrollton/Addison border. I ended up going a different direction for storage, so maybe there were fees that I didn't find out about. When I lived in Houston (I guess I should update my profile) I did store my trailer at one of these places for ~$55/month after tax, and it worked out pretty well. The key is to get a 24hr gate code and shop around until you find one with a spot that is easy to park in.

I'd just be really nervous about paying extra for a custom trailer, then when you realize you want an enclosed trailer you'll have trouble selling it
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why a dovetail? You highlight 2 big issues with the trailer abd your car - the rear wheels are on the dovetail and the ramps might not be long enough. You can solve both with a change to the type of trailer you plan to buy. I had an 18' open ('cause space didn't matter) that had 11' pull out ramps for a very low car. It would seem a 16' version of a flat car hauler with longer ramps would suit your needs.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom W
Why a dovetail? You highlight 2 big issues with the trailer abd your car - the rear wheels are on the dovetail and the ramps might not be long enough. You can solve both with a change to the type of trailer you plan to buy. I had an 18' open ('cause space didn't matter) that had 11' pull out ramps for a very low car. It would seem a 16' version of a flat car hauler with longer ramps would suit your needs.
Now that just might be the ticket. I started with a dovetail in mind due to the ease of getting a lowered car onto the trailer. But you're right... there are a lot more options for solving the loading / unloading challenge than there are for solving the storage challenge. Thanks for getting me out of the box.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
But isn't that foot only an issue going from aircooled to water-cooled, and not vice versa? i.e. anything I might get today for the 996 would certainly work for a 993 or earlier, right?
That is correct. My GT3 sat about a foot farther forward (than my Carrera did) on the trailer to get the proper tongue weight. That put it about an inch from the trailer box.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:37 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Ha! I've seen you drive.
I'm multi-talented. I can drive and give you nightmares all at the same time!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on a trailer setup