Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic stability control -- track considerations

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:10 PM
Rob S
Pro

Default Electronic stability control -- track considerations

I was recently at a DE instructor clinic where the topic of electronic stability control (ESC) (like the Porsche PSM system) was discussed. What began as an technical discussion of what it is, how it works, how it can be used as a learning/teaching tool, and how/if/when to turn it off morphed into a moderately contentious discussion regarding the potential liability to the instructor or club if a student turns off the system or is allowed or encouraged to do so by the instructor.

Some argued that certain ESC systems (or traction control systems for earlier vehicles) were intrusive and would essentially render those cars useless on the track if the electronics could not be shut off. Others argued that turning it off alters a primary safety system on the vehicle and should never be done under any circumstances, and especially not when students are involved.

It was noted that ESC will be federally mandated as standard equipment in 2010.

What policies or practices, if any, do the various clubs around the country have with respect to this issue?

Rob

Old 02-12-2008 | 07:11 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I don't think you will find a standard party line on this as it has probably been debated in all DE circles. Some would have you switch it off and others would have you leave it on. Personally, I will not switch it off with a low time beginner student. It is relatively easy to identify when it intrudes and that is usually after the student has over driven the car, which can then be used as a teaching point. Certainly the skid pad needs to be driven with it both on and off. Some higher run group drivers use it as a tool to identify limits and I have seen it used effectively.

Quick Reply: Electronic stability control -- track considerations