Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What boost do 944 turbo race cars run?? Just got one!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Doc:

We need to talk about the way a lot of that car is set up. Seriously, spend some time reading the good technical stuff on the 944 turbo board to see some of the things that just are not right with your current setup (PO induced error). Right off the bat, you don't want the intake cone filter right behind the intercooler, hot air at intake = bad.

To answer your original question, the only right way I know to determine safe boost is on a dyno. I didn't see what class you're planning for this, so I'm guessing it's not a stock class (is adjustable boost legal in stock?). What chips are in the car, wastegate, and wastgeate controller? Lot's of variables here, each of them will determine boost settings, but the most important is rule book first.

I may have some bits off your previous 944 turbo that you might want to use...
thanks for the reply, I got totally no response on the 951 board and doubt I will be using that site much.

thought the same thing about the air intake when I opened the hood!

trying for NASA super cup and PCA SP3.

How's the old girl doing??
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
My 944s blew up so I bought a turbo. lulz, you have it bad sir, bad indeed.

Lots of good advice here. Who does your car preparation in tampa?
Vortexmotorsports, used to be Dave Whites.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
How much power do you want to make?

More boost = More power but also = More money to make it last.
would rather it be reliable then jacked up hp.

Just want a dependable race car if there is such a thing!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Make it hold 13 psi to redline, throw an S2 ring and pinion in it, change out the stock waste gate to a Lindsey Club Gate, then dial in the suspension.

Don't waste your time with the other bells and whistles. Learn to drive that car fast through the turns and you'll eat up a lot of more powerful, more expensive cars.
thanks good advise!!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
I know the car in the pictures, it belonged to a good friend of mine. At the time it sold to a guy in FL it has some nice pieces.

Feel free to email me directly!
John that is awesome. I am buying it from "that guy" and am just looking for a reliable 944 race car if there is such a thing!

emailed ya, thank you

tom
Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Jon
OT...........

I posted this same question as a newbie on the 951 forum with the pics and got exactly not a one!!! response!

tom
Sorry Tom,
Didn't see your other thread, it wasn't in the 944 Turbo forum

My advice is to return everything on the motor back to completely stock, to include all the boost control hardware. Go through the entire engine comparment and replace any of the 20+ year old parts with new or newer ones that don't look like crap . . . anything rubber or plastic!

Can't offer any more specific advice without knowing more details on the car.

Maybe do a search on the 944 Turbo forum.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, was trying to run in the super cup, what would be better for this car.

by better, just want to be able to run with the group
I was planning to run in SuperCup until they instituted the 14lb/hp rule. That booted me (and Vito, the only 928 to actually run a race in SuperCup) out. Since I've been looking at GTS I can see how it's going to cost me more money, but it also allows a lot more freedom for innovation. The variety of cars in each class also makes it more interesting.

Find some GTS drivers and go to some races. When I went to Summit Point last year, most of the field was in GTS3 or GTSU. Other classes (based on lb/hp, stock vs tube frame, and DOT vs slick tires) seem to be popular in other regions. By playing with the boost and weight, you could easily move yourself between 3 and 4. GTS2 and 5 may be possible. There is even a pseudo-national championship this year based on 6 or 7 races on the east coast and in the mid-west.

Which one is better? I have no idea. I'm still driving DEs and they both seem like good choices to me.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

thanks for the reply, I got totally no response on the 951 board and doubt I will be using that site much.

thought the same thing about the air intake when I opened the hood!

trying for NASA super cup and PCA SP3.

How's the old girl doing??
Responded to your thread in the 924/931/944/951/968 forum.

As Andrew said, the more appropriate forum is the 944 turbo forum, different posters frequent the two, and some of the guys on the dedicated turbo board have a ton of info, when they come out to play.

Don't give up yet on the turbo guys, there's a few worthy of your time.

The offer to come over and poke around is open ended, whenever you have time. PM me if interested.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom-

Definitely look into GTS Challenge with NASA. Great racing. The next race is at Homestead in April. Oh, and NASA runs NASCAR 3 & 4 at Homestead instead of diving into the infield at turn 10!!! The Florida Region primarily runs Sebring and Homestead with the occasional trip to Moroso. You can qualify for the National Championships at Mid-Ohio by doing 4 weekends. We're doing it this year and will go to Nationals in September.

Go to www.gtschallenge.com and click on Rules. They will have the wgt/hp calculation and classes there.

Peter
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Sorry Tom,

My advice is to return everything on the motor back to completely stock, to include all the boost control hardware. Go through the entire engine comparment and replace any of the 20+ year old parts with new or newer ones that don't look like crap . . . anything rubber or plastic!

Thats great advice. I would also recommend coating the headers,crossover pipe, and downpipe with some ceramic coating to futher retain the enery in the pipes instead of having it lost to the engine compartment where it will just heat up the intake and cause power loss. Also, the stock downpipe is a double walled pipe, the inside pipe does not have a smooth mandrel bend, and is also 2.24 inches in diameter at it's narrowest point. I would have a 2.5 inch downpipe made, no need for 3 inch with your k26 compressor.

Also, put the stock airbox back on as others have said. Check the rod bearings, no need for cross drilling, oil passages are not the problem, its when there is a lack of oil for the oil pump to suck that creates the problem. Go about this however you choose, I would intall an accusump as well as additional baffling of the pan.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom,

I focused most of my efforts on "safe" and "reliable" with my 86 951 when getting it ready to club race. So far, I've had 18 races and a lot of DE's with only one DNF. That was due to blowing a heater hose. Of course I'm slow, but now that I'm comfortable with the maintenance necessary to keep it running, I can focus more effort ($) on go fast stuff. I think these cars can be raced reliably (and fast) with the right amount of preventive maintenance. Once you have made sure anything with rubber has either been replaced or updated, their are really only a few areas that need to be watched closely.

I raced this weekend at Sebring and other than an issue with a leaky PS rack, I completed every lap. I wasn't turning laps anywhere near the front of my class (E), but I had a great time - and didn'have to worry too much about the car.

I run a completely stock motor with no modifications to the boost, intake or oiling system. The car has about 110K on the ticker and still pulls stock HP & Tq. My oil pan seal has started to leak so I will check the bearings when I pull the pan in the next few weeks. I always make sure the oil level is about 1/8 inch over full before I go out.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m 99.9% sure Boost controllers are not legal if you plan to run in SP3 or super cup. In our SP3 class this weekend there was a car (second hand info) that was running with these mods. Whether it’s true or not, I don't know, but the boost seemed pretty intense down the back straight. Cars set up legally for SP3 and Super cup seem to be very evenly matched which has made for some very close and exiting racing. I have driven with many 944T's and those that have been "tweeked" are very obvious.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Sorry Tom,

Mike good info and others on this forum and you have been a great help, including the previous cars mechanic.

want the car to run solid and stock for racing

PS I posted on the 944 site must have been wrong one? Duh!!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
I was planning to run in SuperCup until they instituted the 14lb/hp rule. That booted me (and Vito, the only 928 to actually run a race in SuperCup) out. Since I've been looking at GTS I can see how it's going to cost me more money, but it also allows a lot more freedom for innovation. The variety of cars in each class also makes it more interesting.

Find some GTS drivers and go to some races. When I went to Summit Point last year, most of the field was in GTS3 or GTSU. Other classes (based on lb/hp, stock vs tube frame, and DOT vs slick tires) seem to be popular in other regions. By playing with the boost and weight, you could easily move yourself between 3 and 4. GTS2 and 5 may be possible. There is even a pseudo-national championship this year based on 6 or 7 races on the east coast and in the mid-west.

Which one is better? I have no idea. I'm still driving DEs and they both seem like good choices to me.
thanks Matt. Just want to run competitively in a class with more than 5 cars.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Responded to your thread in the 924/931/944/951/968 forum.

As Andrew said, the more appropriate forum is the 944 turbo forum, different posters frequent the two, and some of the guys on the dedicated turbo board have a ton of info, when they come out to play.

Don't give up yet on the turbo guys, there's a few worthy of your time.

The offer to come over and poke around is open ended, whenever you have time. PM me if interested.

Sorry you are right, I thought that the 951 was the turbo forum for this car!!

Quick Reply: What boost do 944 turbo race cars run?? Just got one!!