Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add-on question (re: installation requirements) to "lift in the garage" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default add-on question (re: installation requirements) to "lift in the garage" thread

Thought I would post my question as a separate thread in case anybody uses the search function with "lift" and "instillation"

My lift (4-post) is being installed later this week (yes, I know, I'll post pics as soon as it is done ) and had a quick install question.

I have the local Rotary lift dealer doing the install but had a question regarding the SLOPE of my garage slab. There is a obvious slope (the front two posts will be exactly 2" higher) from back to front for drainage I assume so when the lift is installed what is the preferable way to install level:

1. Shim the the 2 post near the garage door on the "low" end of the slope?

or

2. Adjust the lock ladders in the two lower posts to make the ramps level? I assume this is why they have the adjustment screws for several inches of travel up or down.

Obviously option number 1 seems like the lift would be "raised" on the low side and thus make a low clearance car have difficulty getting on the lift. Option 2 seems to make the most sense since the adjustments are there for what I would assume if fine tuning (like this situation).

TIA!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dell give me a call let me know what and where you got ... moving into my new house this weekend...
that is what i am going to buy first before the Sofa!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Matt, you'll have to swing by and check out the garage transformation! Flooring, cabinets, lift, etc.

Where is your new place? We'll chat later.

By the way, saw the 2 the other day dropping my car with Greg. Nice
Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello.
The easiest way is to just adjust at the top of the lift-posts with that big bolt that holds the cable so the lift is level.
However, the better way is with shims under the posts of the lift...although I haven't seen that much.
Biggest problems with just adjusting the cables, is that when the lift rests on the the locks, the car/platform will not be level, also when it is lowered onto the ground one side of cables will be real loose and might tend to come off the pulley wheels
Good luck.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell, if you have that much pitch, I would consider having the posts shimmed. Also realise that unless they level the pads, the posts will be leaning if they are just bolted to the concrete floor.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The lock ladders on my lift are adjustable WITHIN the post so the ladders can be lower/raised to make the platforms level. I plan to have them bolt the lift to the slab anyway so I assume the optimal way in this case would be to allow the posts to be 2" in rise difference, adjust the lock ladders to make the platforms level, and bolt to slab?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thought I would post my question as a separate thread in case anybody uses the search function with "lift" and "instillation"

My lift (4-post) is being installed later this week (yes, I know, I'll post pics as soon as it is done ) and had a quick install question.

I have the local Rotary lift dealer doing the install but had a question regarding the SLOPE of my garage slab. There is a obvious slope (the front two posts will be exactly 2" higher) from back to front for drainage I assume so when the lift is installed what is the preferable way to install level:

1. Shim the the 2 post near the garage door on the "low" end of the slope?

or

2. Adjust the lock ladders in the two lower posts to make the ramps level? I assume this is why they have the adjustment screws for several inches of travel up or down.

Obviously option number 1 seems like the lift would be "raised" on the low side and thus make a low clearance car have difficulty getting on the lift. Option 2 seems to make the most sense since the adjustments are there for what I would assume if fine tuning (like this situation).

TIA!
Dell I have the same issue. 4" slope over 27' of my garage.

I chose option 2.

Shimming the posts would have raised the posts more. Car sits level. The only issue is I have to transition to the ramps or the nose scrapes on the cross piece. Right now I used 2x12s (same as I do getting the car in a trailer) but I'll figure something better out come spring.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The lock ladders on my lift are adjustable WITHIN the post so the ladders can be lower/raised to make the platforms level. I plan to have them bolt the lift to the slab anyway so I assume the optimal way in this case would be to allow the posts to be 2" in rise difference, adjust the lock ladders to make the platforms level, and bolt to slab?
Wow...nice lift!
My locks aren't adjustable...makes a difference.
Yes, your idea sounds good.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I am going with the adjustments at the lock ladders and bolting the posts to the slab.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I am going with the adjustments at the lock ladders and bolting the posts to the slab.
That's what I had done. Works like a charm.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dell I have the same issue. 4" slope over 27' of my garage.
4" of slope in your garage??

What do you think it's going to snow or something, eh?

Down South we only put 1 to 2 inches depending on the size of the garage.

BTW Dell, your installer probably can reccomend the best way to solve your problem as he's probaly encounterred this before...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I assume the Rotary dealer will install with option 2 since they did the same for another friend here on RL that is local to me. I'll ask them though when they come out and make sure they are comfortable with either method before we commit to one. I prefer option 2 as two inches of slope isn't that much.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by smlporsche
4" of slope in your garage??

What do you think it's going to snow or something, eh?

Down South we only put 1 to 2 inches depending on the size of the garage.
There was no garage on my house when I bought it. While renovating I had the garage built. My dad oversaw the job (commercial construction was his line of work) and, from experience with water pooling in my parents' garage, made the guys who did my floor use a good slope. Water doesn't pool.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool dell i will stop by....

the 2 is in decent shape ... i guess i should wash it! LMAOOOOOOOOo
Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Cool. Give me a call and we'll find a time that works.

Quick Reply: add-on question (re: installation requirements) to "lift in the garage" thread