Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Shop in NNJ ( or central) For DE Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

As far as wheel weights go, until I went to the metal HVAC tape I have always lost them, even had them rip through the purple duct tape Hoosier used. I use two layers of the metal tape, have never had a problem since. As for shops, look hard enough and someone will have had a bad experience regardless of the other 99% good and hate them with a passion.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

I get my work done by Princeton Porsche. They have a track oriented following and do excellent work
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I went to the metal HVAC tape - have never had a problem since.
+1... can't keep enough of this stuff around... works great.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyT
Doug Arnao at VCI near Rockaway is great with the older cars
Doug's the Man!...

But Will at Precision Motorsports Racing is great too...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 AM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
Doug's the Man!...
+1
Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

I'm with you dan212.....Princeton Porsche does an excellent job. I have tried several indies and returned to Princeton Porsche for any work. Very professional and repairs are within 10% of estimates.

Last edited by Ninetynine996; 02-22-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paddock Performance in Haverstraw, NY, does a great job setting up my race car for the track.

Richard
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as wheel weights go, I decided long ago that was my responsibility. That means cleaning your wheels before you have the tires put on so there is a good contact patch, applying HVAC tape yourself and monitoring it at the track. I've had HVAC tape come off at the track. Every shop neglects wheel weights at one time or another. One reason is that it's almost always the lowliest of shop hands who gets the job of putting on and taking off tires.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Paddock Performance in Haverstraw, NY, does a great job setting up my race car for the track.

Richard
+1. I'm thrilled at the job they did for me.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1957 356
As far as wheel weights go, I decided long ago that was my responsibility. That means cleaning your wheels before you have the tires put on so there is a good contact patch, applying HVAC tape yourself and monitoring it at the track. I've had HVAC tape come off at the track. Every shop neglects wheel weights at one time or another. One reason is that it's almost always the lowliest of shop hands who gets the job of putting on and taking off tires.
I'm sorry, but if I'm dropping my wheels off for a "professional" to balance them, I expect them to be able to clean off the old weights and to attach some HVAC tape on top. It's not as if the shop is doing us a favor -- they're a business and they're being paid -- they need to do the job right. And if they can't, I'm finding someone else to do my work.

I wouldn't complain at all if the wheel weights fell off during road or track use, but come on, the OP didn't even have the wheels mounted on his car-- he brought them back to his house in wheel bags. What was the point of having them balanced in the first place if the weights would fall off IN THE BAGS? That's just sloppy work, and yes, you can argue that it's meaningless and not a big deal, but it certainly shows a lack of attention to detail.

If we're willing to put up with wheel weights that fall off, what's next? "Oh yeah, they forgot to properly torque my wheels, but you know, it wasn't a big deal. The wheel fell off on the way home from the shop, but it was really my job to torque the lugnuts when I picked up the car." We're driving these cars at 140+ mph -- details can and do matter.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, I've had shops forget to torque wheel nuts as well. My point is - find me a shop anywhere that doesn't make these or similar mistakes. I could send you a list of shops I've used in the area that have all made mistakes on my car or my friend's cars and it would include every shop East of the Mississippi. If anyone thinks the way to solve this is to find the perfect shop, they're going to be in for a surprise. It doesn't exist. You find the best one you can and you deal with the mistakes. If you find yourself the victim of a particularly egregious one you switch shops but don't delude yourself that the new one won't make mistakes as well. If we were to poll all the guys here about the mistakes their shops have made it would be every one and a very ugly list of mistakes. I know of suspension bits being installed upside down that then broke on track, gears put in the wrong order on transmission rebuilds, the list goes on and on - all top shops in the area.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Oh, I've had shops forget to torque wheel nuts as well. My point is - find me a shop anywhere that doesn't make these or similar mistakes. I could send you a list of shops I've used in the area that have all made mistakes on my car or my friend's cars and it would include every shop East of the Mississippi. If anyone thinks the way to solve this is to find the perfect shop, they're going to be in for a surprise. It doesn't exist. You find the best one you can and you deal with the mistakes. If you find yourself the victim of a particularly egregious one you switch shops but don't delude yourself that the new one won't make mistakes as well. If we were to poll all the guys here about the mistakes their shops have made it would be every one and a very ugly list of mistakes. I know of suspension bits being installed upside down that then broke on track, gears put in the wrong order on transmission rebuilds, the list goes on and on - all top shops in the area.
Man, you've just made me more paranoid. Now I'm going to watch the guys at my shop like hawks when they work on the car, with pictures and diagrams to carefully make sure they're installing everything correctly.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

+ 1
Old 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

I understand what you are saying, but what are we paying these guys for? Another pet peeve of mine is leaving the car off for service perfectly clean, and then picking it up and it's filthy. It happens all the time.

Adam
Old 02-23-2008, 05:16 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Every shop neglects wheel weights at one time or another. One reason is that it's almost always the lowliest of shop hands who gets the job of putting on and taking off tires.
Hey Sean,

Not so at Paddock Performance. I have witnessed every one of the mechanics there - and the owners too - mount and balance wheels at their shop. I mean Junior @ Paddock is a terrific engine builder, but he won't hesitate to mount and balance wheels should the need arise. There doesn't appear to be one "lowly" individual relegated to that task at their shop.

Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but I agree with another poster here that the customer has a right to expect that the job will get done correctly.

Richard

P.S.: Are you racing at VIR at the end of March?

Quick Reply: Alignment Shop in NNJ ( or central) For DE Setup