Sponsored by:

Need help on noise reduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
The only good thing going for VIR is that Danville is NOT Atlanta. RA once was in the middle of no where just as VIR is now. Atlanta and it's suburbs just grew around it. Happens all the time.
You are right, and Road Atlanta will be challenged from here forward by greedy developers that dont recognize a piece of history in our back yards. I can go outside whenever there is an event and the sounds of the cars are music to my ears.

There was a rumor not to long ago about Road Atlanta's days being numbered but it kinda died down, but I assure you it will come up again. The positive thing is that Don Panoz still owns the majority of land out here so no one can get it and try to rezone and restrict our track until it's non existant.

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Chris-

Is this what you're referring to?

http://store.summitracing.com/largei...344-3004_w.jpg

It looks like this may be the whole system that would just attach with a set of clamps.
I'm trying to develope some straight pipes now that cut short and point at the ground and then use a dummy end pipe welded on to attach tips to, and in addition have something to muffle the sound anyways. I really just want the weight out.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It amazes me that "greedy developers" will build on that land (and people will buy it) knowing damn well that it is in the backyard of a racetrack and then after moving in claim that the noise is intolerable and must be stopped. It's the same BS we kept hearing on the news in Vegas while I lived out there about the community that in the flight path of the airport trying to get the planes diverted so the noise didn't affect their "quality of living". WHY THE F DID YOU BUY THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE KNOWING THE DAMN PLANES FLY OVERHEAD!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an issue with my 928 running Magnaflows and and a dual 2 1/2 inch...so far I just know where the monitor is and short shift through that area....but it's not a good fix. This year several of the places that I autocross will also have requirements.

Has anyone tried these inverted cones ? http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...1&autoview=sku

They would be easy to insert at the tip and then remove.

Ken
Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shoot sporting clays as a hobby and this is the same issue we have had with the gun clubs around Dallas. The legislature passed a law grandfathering the existing clubs so the the local municipalities could not shut them down because of housing developers moving in. However the developers have found it is just easier to buy the places and just shut them down than to fight in court. It is land values that are really going to be the problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
It amazes me that "greedy developers" will build on that land (and people will buy it) knowing damn well that it is in the backyard of a racetrack and then after moving in claim that the noise is intolerable and must be stopped. It's the same BS we kept hearing on the news in Vegas while I lived out there about the community that in the flight path of the airport trying to get the planes diverted so the noise didn't affect their "quality of living". WHY THE F DID YOU BUY THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE KNOWING THE DAMN PLANES FLY OVERHEAD!!!!!
You should hear about the fight at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. It's been going on for years.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:06 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 944 spec car I just run a stock muffler. I have noticed no power differences between that and various other car's set-ups. For 944 NA DE car I would suggest a stock muffler. I run it without a cat and I believe that makes a power difference, but it only very slightly increases the sound levels. That said I have never run the car at a noise restricted track so I can't say where I am on the dB scale. I would suspect only slightly lowerer than a stock street car.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
This is what i have with a short piece of exhaust tubing welded to it. I can't tell if the one you link to allows for plates to be removed/added.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If you go with the Supertrapp disks, you might want to consider using the 5" disk model instead of the 4" model in the link. The 5" will flow better than the 4" one.

Scott

Quick Reply: Need help on noise reduction