Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a MOMO on my boat too
haha
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can leave the drain plug out if you don't plan on stopping!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard,

I have the PMNA Cup quick release in my car. It is really nice, but quite expensive (IIRC $400+). You might want to check out the one from TC Designs?

http://tcdesignfab.com/products.html

I have a Momo Competition steering wheel (very lightly used), it's 350mm leather wrapped, that needs a new home. If you're interested in checking it out, I can bring it down next weekend. (I switched to a 330mm suede)

-Noby
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurt M
You can leave the drain plug out if you don't plan on stopping!
No doubt. Completely off topic, but here's a true story about that. My wife and I had just picked up my boat from the boat mechanic and I wanted to quickly lake-test it. Took it to the boat ramp, and in a hurry launched it with me in the boat and her parking the truck. Drain plug had been removed at the mechanic (I always kept it installed since the boat was stored indoors) and like a bone head, in my haste, I didn't check for it. As soon as I got away from the boat ramp, it dawned on me that I didn't check it. So I opened the engine hatch in the back and sure enough, there is water swirling around in the bilge. I called the wife on her cell phone to get her to immediately back the trailer back down, but of course she doesn't answer it and I don't even know if the plug is even anywhere in the boat and I'm afraid to waste time looking for it. So I start driving the boat around the boat ramp/dock area (a no wake zone) at full throttle trying to self bail it, all the while trying to call her. People are gesturing and yelling at me to slow down and I'm just running a big figure 8 at full throttle in this cove. I was starting to think about beaching it when the wife comes walking down the dock. So I'm driving past the dock flat out yelling "Get the trailer in the water! Get the trailer in the water!" She finally understood and ran and backed the trailer back in. I figured I had about one shot at putting it on the trailer (the water was almost half way up the engine block by now). I drove straight at the trailer at a much faster speed than was safe and then backed off the throttle at what I hoped was the right point. When I backed off the throttle, the stern of the boat suddenly dropped and the bow went up as the water in the bilge first went forward and then back. About that time, the boat came to a rest on the trailer bunks. Of course, I had to endure all the U-boat jokes from the other guys at the boat ramp as my boat sat draining water for about 30 or 40 minutes onto the pavement. Fortunately, no harm done to the engine and by some miracle it didn't stall on me. That was as close as I want to get to sinking a boat.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^

BTDT.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the one thing I didn't think of in the heat of the moment that someone suggested after the fact was to take my shirt or a towel and stuff it into the drain hole from outside to block it up. I also decided I needed to finally fix my broken bilge pump after that...

Quick Reply: Race Safety Equipment