Sponsored by:

harness differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default harness differences?

I have been looking at new harnesses, and noticed a wide range of pricing for a standard 6pt set up with cam lock. Is there really a difference between the higher priced sets from Schroth, Sabelt, Sparco etc. compared to brands like Pyrotect, G Force, etc. They all seem to have the same certification. Pros and cons? Also curious about the Team Tech harness with the body pads etc. Any knowledgeable opinions about this?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a set of Simpson 5pt. cam harnesses. They went out of date and I purchased a set of Schroth 6pt. with the 2" lap belts.
I have to say the Schroth are so much more comfortable and softer than other brands.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, there is a difference. The higher priced stuff is usually much softer fabric and adjusts more easily. Be careful when buying, because designs change all the time.

I have always used Sparco harnesses. I went to buy a new one and when I got it, I found the snaps on the ends were sewn in, rather than wrapped. All the new Sparco are like this. This meant I could not move the position of the 3" lap adjusters and they were hitting my seat. My seat sits very low and far back. Will look into some Schroth Profi II's, because I think they still wrap the ends in, so I can adjust it more. If not, the laps are only 2", they'll pull through my seat holes anyway.

I thought it was weird the Sparco branded belts have the lap ends sewn in and some of the Schroth branded ones don't. Schroth builds the belts for Sparco now
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

More expensive doens't mean softer material. Willans harnesses are very stiff. As has been said already a softer harness material is easier to adjust. However that also means it is easier for it to loosen throughout a session. My Willans belts hardly move during a session but I've had other harnesses that I need to snug every few laps on the straight.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

While we're asking harness questions, can anyone please comment on the merits of pull-up vs pull-down?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most often you see a pull-up in formula car where you are limited in space and can only pull up to help adjust the belts.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Pull down for the shoulder straps and pull up for the rest.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hookerharness.com/racing.php

Custom made or off the shelf.

Our #1 choice for crash testing.

Quick Reply: harness differences?