External oil tank question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default External oil tank question.

Looking for recomendations for a good oil tank for a track only 911. Have not set my mind on the motor but it might in the 2.7 to 3.2 L range. Car will be 73 RSR look with front cooler and tank in pass footwell. I am making a sealed from the drivers side tank compartment in the footwell. (I don't feel like having a hot oil treatment while I am wadding up my car and if given enough time I will likely wad it up) is there a good "everyone uses this one" tank?

What is a good oil fill size? Looks like dash 16 motor to cooler, T stat and tank and Dash 20 from tank back to motor is the standard recomendation.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kurt,

I've been gone for 7 months and now you are getting the additional 2 cylinders? What happened to the hollywood green 912?

-Skip
Old 01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Looking for recomendations for a good oil tank for a track only 911. Have not set my mind on the motor but it might in the 2.7 to 3.2 L range. Car will be 73 RSR look with front cooler and tank in pass footwell. I am making a sealed from the drivers side tank compartment in the footwell. (I don't feel like having a hot oil treatment while I am wadding up my car and if given enough time I will likely wad it up) is there a good "everyone uses this one" tank?

What is a good oil fill size? Looks like dash 16 motor to cooler, T stat and tank and Dash 20 from tank back to motor is the standard recomendation.

When I built my 914/6 track car, I polled a number of racers and ex-racers, and they seemed to agree on -16 all around except the -20 from the tank to the motor. Some people like to use -12 from the motor to the external cooler inlet, then -16 from the outlet onwards (and -20 from tank to motor), but I did not do it that way.

Scott
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Brand is not important. I like tanks that are taller than wide. I think they de-aerate better. Brand is not important. They are all expensive for what they are. If you trust your tig welding, make one. 10-12qt. is good. You'll probably end up with 3-4qts in the cooler/lines besides.

Position is important. You need better access than you'd think from the top so you can peer inside, dipstick it, use a suction pump to empty it, get it in and out easily, etc. Don't underestimate the heat they generate either. A large filler opening is really helpful. A drain spiggot through the floor makes life a lot easier too.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
Kurt,

I've been gone for 7 months and now you are getting the additional 2 cylinders? What happened to the hollywood green 912?

-Skip
Still have the movie star car. right now it is stashed on the lift waiting for the spring thaw. The 911 project is a 77 that I stripped to the tub, had it cooked clean and then went postal with the plasma cutter. If it was not needed for speed or my survival it had no place on the car. Going to be a pure track rat in 73 RSR clothing.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice Kurt...Enjoy the project.

Quick Reply: External oil tank question.