Sponsored by:

DE Car 944TS vs 911 3.2 vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.2 will be the best learning platform for general driving skills. A bit of a bump in the curve up front from the REAC factor but still a good platform.

The fun factor is not to be discounted. You can have a lot fun in any car on track but you have more fun when driving with others of like kind and speed. Sadly the 3.2 is going to get killed out ther nowadays. the 951 will better hold its own and has potental for improvment too. BTW a 912 is not a good choice from any aspect.

The 993 is likely the most fun from the start in DE as you need to do little to it to make it drive well and you will likely have more playmates to run with than the 3.2 Has it gotten that bad out there? I am telling someone that a 3.2 will get run over!!!

Which one makes you want to turn around and look back at it in the parking lot? Get that one...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason you see 944 turbo breaking at the track is their ability to develop cheap speed. It is quite easy and check to make a 350 whp 944 Turbo. The problem is that is costs considerably more to make that 350 whp car reliable. The reason is that you are pushing 130-150 more whp than it came with and that 50% power gain REQUIRES you to do alot to the car.

Keep the power levels closer to stock and under 300 whp and the reliablity increases dramaticly. Also many 944 turbos have been use and abused. I see this all the time with 944 NA's that have been completed trashed. They can be brough back to racing standards, but it takes time and money to fix all the little things needed. In general 3.2's and 993 have been better maintained over the years and that leads to the impression of better relaibility.

Buy a decient 944 Turbo and fix what is needed and it should run like a champ for a long time. Chips add hp and speed, but if you don't take care to look at the rest of the system they can overstress other parts of the car causing failures.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APKhaos
That's hilarious!

- The Carrera 3.2 engine and trans can be dropped in an easy two hours without breaking a sweat.
- The first time I dropped the 951 engine took maybe 10 hours, and the shop floor looked like a slaughterhouse. These damn things drip green coolant, red hydraulic fluid and brown oil everywhere when being removed.
- First law of 944: Access to a component of interest requires the removal of several other components. Accesss may involve torture, and may not not enable the removal of the component of interest without removal of further components or systems.

The 951 is a great car, but anyone who says they are easy to work on is sufficiently delusional to be well qualified for a career in federal politics.
I have been involved with both types of drop and absolutely agree with Tony on this one. The last 911 engine transmission drop took 27 minutes. I admit you can pull the head on a 951 without having to pull the engine; but, you will have to pull it more often.

Some here have sited personal experience on the longevity of the 951. I believe these are exceptional examples. Tony and Mike B have two of the most reliable examples I have seen. Others are not so fortunate. A walk through the paddock at most events I attend reveals a higher percentage of 951s being loaded early.

On the other hand, my SC has cost me as much as a 964 Cup and it is nowhere near as fast. 185,000 miles and 300 track days - starting second engine rebuild.

My vote is for a plain vanilla later 964 (not RSA), less than $20K, add JRZ suspension and engine rebuild (maybe to RS spec).
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear lots of stuff about 951 cars being hard to work on, but my mechanic and I have found that, if you drop the front end down and drop the engine down, it actually comes out quickly and easily.

Most people complaining try to do complicated stuff from the top.....not that easy, I admit.

I do the hard stuff with the engine out, just like rear-engined cars.

Quick Reply: DE Car 944TS vs 911 3.2 vs 993