Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal or otherwise difference between Rspec, Hoosiers, Slicks??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Legal or otherwise difference between Rspec, Hoosiers, Slicks??

The term Legal may be used incorrectly here, however I am trying to find out what class I would be put in if I use a '2-liner' like a Hoos, Kumho, BFG etc? What is the difference between a Hoos and a slick in your categories? My club is probably going to try and put me into an open class with slick shod GT3's, GT2's and Cup Cars so there's no point using a Hoos if I'm going to be penalised for it. The slick is the best/quickest form of rubber yet I believe that the Hoos falls into a grey area. It's not a slick yet it's not road legal, or at least not in Australia. I need to present some factual evidence to support it's use in the Toyo, Yoko, Dunlop etc R-spec class so anything to help is appreciated.
Our rules in Australia will vary from yours.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

In the USA tires like the Hoosier ect, are called DOT (Department Of Transportation) legal tires. They are required to have a stamping on the tire showing they are DOT legal, and are technically street legal here.

There is some good info on the BF Goodrich website about tire construction,tire markings ect.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...e-r1/3824.html
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doug, I'll check that out. It is a real grey area here and maybe some of these DOT tyres are legal and others aren't. I feel that the real '2 liners' are illegal here due to the chance of any water or rain rendering them useless and even dangerous in traffic. Maybe someone makes something with a similar characteristic and a semblance of a tread pattern.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

The Michelin Sport Cup is probably the fastest treaded DOT R tire. You might look at the Toyo R888 as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yep I'm onto my 3rd set of the R888's. For some reason we have had them over here for about 3 years before they were available to you guys. Don't know why?? They're a really good tyre but they won't be ultimately as quick as a softer Hoosier or R1 type.

Quick Reply: Legal or otherwise difference between Rspec, Hoosiers, Slicks??