Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance difference between Smart Racing and other high end sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys. there's a lot of good info here...especially Cory's posts. sounds like ultimate performance is similar across all of the brands/types
Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris, I have the SRP's as well since Dan did my setup and he favors them. I can't speak to the other bars, but I love the wide range of adjustment and how easy they are to change. I play with my setup all the time.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

All of the bars I talked about (SRP, Tarett, or TRG bars) are more robust than the standard Weltmeister bars shown, I wouldn't worry about them failing under normal circumstances.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

No one has commented on how the SRP can be had up to 31mm bar whereas the others only go up to 22/23mm. Are the lever arms that much bigger on the SRP and they're the same net rate at the wheel?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

You can get bars for the SRP that are a lot stiffer than the 22mm hollow rate the Tarett, TRG (I think Charlie too) uses. I believe you can get a few different bars with the TRG set up too. If you have a set up that requires something stiffer than the standard 22mm rate you should go with the SRP bars. Most 911's, especially street cars, are happy with the 22mm rate. The Smart bars are really nicely engineered and built race parts but depending on your situation they may not be worth the extra money. I would make sure to reinforce the rear mounts or buy the Wevo mounts no matter which bar you choose, especially if it is a really stiff one. The Wevo mounts aren't cheap but they are very nice and should be a lot stronger than a stock mount that has been reinforced.

All of the bars I talked about are good parts that will get the job done for you. It is pretty cool that we have so many quality sway bar options available for these cars that we can be so nit-picky.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

^ +1
The stock sway bar mounts WILL fail. The 'improved' stock mounts will fail. A heavily reinforced mount is required. You can plate reinforce the stock mounts, then add a member triangulated up to the torque tube, but it takes some fabrication work. I've not used the Wevo mounts, but everyone says they are plenty strong.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 For mount failure. I am going to get the Wevo mounts to replace my mounts that have started to tear away.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Garen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRP. All the adjustment range you will need, great product, even greater support.

-Garen (87 930)

P.S. get the WEVO mounts as a "while you're in there" upgrade. As others have mentioned, it's not if the stock ones fail it's when they fail...
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
^ +1
The stock sway bar mounts WILL fail. The 'improved' stock mounts will fail. A heavily reinforced mount is required. You can plate reinforce the stock mounts, then add a member triangulated up to the torque tube, but it takes some fabrication work. I've not used the Wevo mounts, but everyone says they are plenty strong.
Even my heavily reinforced mount started to fail. The frame rail started to tear along the weld on one side, so I had both mounts cut off and the crack in the rail fixed. I now use a torsion tube sway bar mount (looks like a big U bolt).

I have the TRG bars and had one of the drop link bolts (that bolts the drop link to the arm) break. I just got a spare bolt from my tool box and put it in, since it didn't have to be a special bolt. The biggest PITA with TRG is that the hardware is SAE, which is stupid for a car with all metric bolts. I ended up having to carry a few SAE tools along with my usual metric ones.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

i'm good with mounts. did that 2 yrs ago

so the tarrett, elephant, trg cannot be set up as stiff as the 31f/27r SRP?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
i'm good with mounts. did that 2 yrs ago

so the tarrett, elephant, trg cannot be set up as stiff as the 31f/27r SRP?
I'm not sure how stiff the SRP is, but when I run MPSCs, I have my rear bar full stiff.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also rebuild the stock bar mont by bending up some 1/8 X 1 flat stock drilling and welding nuts to the backside and then boxing it with 22 gauge sheet. Easy to do if you can weld and strong. This spreads the sway bar loads out and cheap to do too. SRP setup already in hand.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Re Kurt's post above:
Be advised that you are seeing the work of a master fabricator and ounce trimmer here. Mere mortals should look on with wonder, but should not try this at home.

Re maximum rear bar rates:
As chrisp said, SRP bars go up to 31mm, and the arms have a wide range of adjustment. The TRG & Tarret bars top out at 23mm.
I had the SRP 31mm on my 85 911, and set it around mid range for typical dry conditions. It was very easy to set for 'oversteer on demand' with a 22/31 tb setup. On a coil-over setup, it would probably be possible to tune it even stiffer. Full soft setting was fine for rain. Cory is right about the adjustment bolts being fiddly to get in and out. Curse enough and they'll go for you.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
+2 For mount failure. I am going to get the Wevo mounts to replace my mounts that have started to tear away.
I've MIG'd Wevo mounts on two cars so far for SRP rear sways and I can't imagine any way they could fail without tearing some serious unibody steel away. The only trick was to re-index the mount alignment to clear the 915 transverse mount..
Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I've MIG'd Wevo mounts on two cars so far for SRP rear sways and I can't imagine any way they could fail without tearing some serious unibody steel away.
That's what happened to my car (although it wasn't wevo mounts), it tore the frame, not the mount. Kurt's mount looks awesome and carries the load over a larger area. Very nice.

Quick Reply: Performance difference between Smart Racing and other high end sway bars?