Sponsored by:

Aria GP-5W Helmet Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Aria GP-5W Helmet Issue

I was wondering if anyone was running into excessive wear issues with their Aria GP-5W helmet. I did not run into any issues with my previous Aria helmet after over 4 years of DE. However, I noticed my helmet ripping in the cheek pads only after 4 days of DE which I find unacceptable for an $800 helmet. Now after around a dozen DE's both cheek pads, the outside nomax cover lining, and around the strap are all ripped.

I should have called the vendor once these rips started happening.... I truely believe my helmet has a bad or defective nomax lining and either Aria or the vendor should replace and/or fix the helmet for free. I recently contacted the vendor and he mentioned they will try to resolve the issue, so hopefully I should be heading in the right direction.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the vendor to get info on contacting Arai directly. There was a bad batch of cloth a year and a half or so ago. My helmet did the same thing and Arai took my helmet back for a complete replacement of all the inside padding and cloth with a turn around of less that a week. No problems since.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

same here!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Wow, about 1 1/2 years ago is when I purchased my helmet. That seems to add up. I will contact the vendor tomorrow and if things don't move forward I will contact Aria. Looks like I will have to get packing to send my helmet back. I would be nice if they sent a new helmet and I could send my helmet back with the packing they supplied.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a similar problem and will contact my vendor tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I was wondering if anyone was running into excessive wear issues with their Aria GP-5W helmet. I did not run into any issues with my previous Aria helmet after over 4 years of DE. However, I noticed my helmet ripping in the cheek pads only after 4 days of DE which I find unacceptable for an $800 helmet. Now after around a dozen DE's both cheek pads, the outside nomax cover lining, and around the strap are all ripped.

I should have called the vendor once these rips started happening.... I truely believe my helmet has a bad or defective nomax lining and either Aria or the vendor should replace and/or fix the helmet for free. I recently contacted the vendor and he mentioned they will try to resolve the issue, so hopefully I should be heading in the right direction.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
I had that too and ARAI is replacing it this week actually... dropped the lid at the Autosport show in Birmingham, UK last Saturday.
JM
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here. I called Arai support, sent the hemlet to Bethlehem, PA for warranty repair and got it back in 2 weeks. No fuss, good service.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Had the same exact thing happen to my GP5K! It went back to be fixed two weeks ago...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

My liner is showing in some wear, but not near to the extent of the OP's. It's more like the fabric is balling up, will they replace that?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Same story as everyone else. I contacted Aria through their online support. It was about a two week turn around time and was a painless process. I just got the helmet back last night and everything looks great.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Bell (about $250) I've had since 2001 and no cloth damage...something's wrong with that fabric!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Something is Definitely wrong with the fabric on a big batch of these helmets. This is the 2nd time for the GP-5W helmet that I have witnessed rips in the fabric with minimal usage. I have not heard back from the vendor yet which is contacting Aria on my behalf. Looks like I should contact Aria directly for repair or replacement.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! Me too! I bought mine in Sept 2006, and the fabric is starring to rip apart at the back of the head near the neck.

Thanks so much for posting this thread. I will contact Arai directly.

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 AM
tylere36m3
Intermediate

are you running a hans? maybe the bottom of the helmet is rubbing on the top of your hans device and causing this. but you said your cheek pads were worn too.

i have painted quite a number of arai gp-5 helmets and i have only seen this issue with the 2 latest ones i have painted. one is for a formula mazda guy and the other is for an ALMS guy. after i saw the same damage as your pics on these helmets i thought it might have been caused by the hans device.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by tylere36m3
are you running a hans? maybe the bottom of the helmet is rubbing on the top of your hans device and causing this. but you said your cheek pads were worn too.

i have painted quite a number of arai gp-5 helmets and i have only seen this issue with the 2 latest ones i have painted. one is for a formula mazda guy and the other is for an ALMS guy. after i saw the same damage as your pics on these helmets i thought it might have been caused by the hans device.
HANS shouldn't do that to helmet.
my stand 21 and two other Bell i have are all worn with HANS, they do not have this prob.

Quick Reply: Aria GP-5W Helmet Issue