Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 RSR laps at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 08:06 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I think I know who the other driver was (RL?) and if so there is no lack of experience there. I have been wheel to wheel with him a few times.

Chris this was unavoidable. Any of the top 10 guys would have been charging as hard as you were and in the same position on the track.

Sometimes you can hear it when the guy in front of you misses a shift and this will give you a split second to move but I would have hit this guy too (only difference is that I would have been puking coolant around the track....

Regarding the 13 rule I have had one in my PCA experience as a rookie when I was too aggressive in overtaking a slower car in a big enduro field. It didn't really change the way I drove for the next 13 months (basically all of 2006) but it was still in the back of my mind.

While I know its hard to draw the line, every 996 or 7 cup racer I know would gladly trade a wheel mark or new bumper for a better finish if for a poduim spot.
Old 01-14-2008 | 09:07 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
True, but there are no racing incedents in PCA racing.
Ridiculous...but true!
Old 01-14-2008 | 11:12 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I think Glen nailed it regarding there being a lot of faster cars in larger fields with the obvious consequence of "things" happening quickly on the track. The decision against Chris is conflicting with previous PCA rulings regarding leading cars and mechanical failures. What was he supposed to do, go off left into the grass?

That particular rule is antiquated and needs to be written clearly and applied evenly....
Old 01-14-2008 | 11:56 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Looked at this in slo mo at least ten times. The cup car in the front clearly has a problem getting off the corner (missed shift or something similar). Chris instantly recognizes this and begins to move his hands to swerve track right (but just not quickly enough, in the span of a milisecond or two). At that speed, there is no way anyone could have reacted quickly enough to avoid the tap.

IMHO, this is just a racing incident pure and simple. No penatly for either driver should be proffered. If anyone get a 13/13, it would be the car in front based on past precedent from previous posts. The bummer here is that past is prologue when it comes to decision time for the stewards.

I like Larry's idea of a jury of your peers for an appeal. Things are just not always black and white.

Chris, no way you should you get a 13 for this. Sorry you were unfairly penalized IMHO.
Old 01-14-2008 | 03:22 PM
jester911
Drifting

I agree with most everyone here. Looked to be unavoidable the way he backed off so quickly. Seems to be missed shift/too low of gear IMHO. With such good video evidence as this it just seems silly to enforce a rule and not use some common sense in the process.
Old 01-14-2008 | 04:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

PCA needs to buy a dedicated monitor that travels with the timing and scoring equipment. It is really difficult to make any conclusions from the 3-5" screen on your camcorder.
Old 01-14-2008 | 04:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
True, but there are no racing incedents in PCA racing.
That is the sound of a nail being hit on the head. Racing incidents happen, this was one. A review by a peer group would say the same or possibly give the 13 to the lead car. In some way, the concept of a "racing incident" needs to find its way into PCA racing as it exists in SCCA, NASA, etc.

Last edited by Sean F; 01-14-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2008 | 04:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. You got a 13, really? That's scary. I don't know how many times I've been that close to someone. Thank God none of them missed a shift.

Looks to me like it is either a 13 for the guy in front of you or a racing incident. If that were NASA and I were in your car, I would just tell the race director it was a racing incident and go on to fight another day. Now if the race director or I knew he had a history of brake checking or missing shifts during the heat of battle, I am sure the director would have had a little talk with him.
Old 01-14-2008 | 04:42 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Chris,
Wow...sorry to hear about the 13....

Here is my solution to the problem....race with the HSR HSR! HSR! way more quality race time and none of the BS..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 01-14-2008 | 04:58 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick, wuts up. Chris likes HSR he has raced (and won) with them

Chris,

I have a PHD in racing incidents so my opinion should hold up in court. The driver of the 993 did nothing to cause the incident as he had no options when the cuppies got stupid. The cup car owners should fix your car, PCA apologize and give you a set of fresh Michlins.
Old 01-14-2008 | 05:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

HSR. I looked into that but I came to the conclusion, although my car is a 1973 911 (some of it still remains) it did not qualify. It seems like I thought my 993 style front end was the culprit. If I bought a 911 style front end, would that work? Anyone. Sorry for being to lazy to look it up again. sorry for the highjack.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John H; 01-14-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: as usual, thought of something else and added a pic
Old 01-14-2008 | 05:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill walczak
Rick, wuts up. Chris likes HSR he has raced (and won) with them

Chris,

I have a PHD in racing incidents so my opinion should hold up in court. The driver of the 993 did nothing to cause the incident as he had no options when the cuppies got stupid. The cup car owners should fix your car, PCA apologize and give you a set of fresh Michlins.
^^^ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ^^^
Old 01-14-2008 | 05:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forget it, I violate the rules in about every way possible.
Old 01-14-2008 | 05:40 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't see how you were at fault apart from being "part of the incident" which seems to be what the penalty is based on. You clearly tried to evade contact.

What is the penalty for then, following too closely? Sorry for the sarcasm but this is racing.

I'm sure the other driver must have had a mechanical or a "slip of the feet" as (if he was checking his mirrors at all) he knew you were smelling his fumes.

Hope both drivers came out ok physically.
Old 01-14-2008 | 05:42 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

John H, as to HSR, I race with them. Great group with tons of track time. You must comply with certain period specs (for example, the bodywork ... ).

The rules are pretty simple but your car looks a long way away from what the chassis year is..... Check out hsrrace.com

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 01-14-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 993 RSR laps at Daytona