Sponsored by:

Race Seats: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Race Seats: Questions

Background: I am looking for race sets for my street 996 GT3 as it is now a track-only car. I am interested in the Porsche/Recaro Euro-GT3 seats, and remember that they fit quite comfortably through the seat and the side bolsters. However, when I last sat in them at the track, I forgot to check to see if the harness would fit comfortable above my shoulders.

I am 6' 2 1/2" tall and have a 32" inseam. With such a long torso, I can't be sure that I will fit proper "vertically".

This leads to my two questions:

1) Does anyone know the distance from the seat cushion to the harness belt opening (vertical) on the Euro GT3 seat (996)?

2) As I begin to explore other race seat options, what vendor should I visit to get the largest in-store display? I am willing to travel anywhere in the US, and would like to get this done prior to the DE season (March).

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Go up to Les Long's shop at Miller and sit in a proper race seat with head bolsters.
The Recaro Pro-Racer Hans is OEM in a cup car and fits tall people fine. The even make an XL. http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3633&region=3&L=2

The GT3 seat is a nice seat, but any seat without head bolsters is a compromise and IMHO not worth it. We had a serious injury at Infineon this past October on a cool down lap that would have been prevented with a Hans and head bolsters. You should always have a head restraint sytem working in conjunction with the seat....
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got the GT3 seats in my 997S, which is my daily driver. I just measured the distance from the seat cushion to the openings. It is 24" to the bottom of the harness openings, and 27-28" to the top of the openings depending upon where you make the measurement. I don't have a harness yet, & I'm 5' 10" so I can't tell you anything about how it would fit you. The seats are great for comfort and lateral support & they look great too. Won't get into the safety argument...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Go up to Les Long's shop at Miller and sit in a proper race seat with head bolsters.
The Recaro Pro-Racer Hans is OEM in a cup car and fits tall people fine. The even make an XL. http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3633&region=3&L=2

The GT3 seat is a nice seat, but any seat without head bolsters is a compromise and IMHO not worth it. We had a serious injury at Infineon this past October on a cool down lap that would have been prevented with a Hans and head bolsters. You should always have a head restraint sytem working in conjunction with the seat....
+1

Go sit in a few seats.

Recaro Pro Racer SPG or the SPG XL
Racetech RT4009HR
OMP Pista
Cobra Sebring S
Sparco Circuit

Places that I've been that have a number of seats in stock to test out.

CDOC in Virgnia
Northstar Motorsports in Chicago

The problem with seats is that most dealers only carry a couple of lines and therefore you only get to try out a couple of seats. The easiest way to test seats from a bunch of manufacturers is to go to a race where there are a large number of racers. I think there is a PCA race coming up at Sebring that would be fun to go to and would have a large number of seats all in cars very similar to yours.

I carry Racetech and Recaro and some limited OMP and Cobra seats. I'm small so I don't keep them in stock to keep the manufacturer dates 'fresh'.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great feedback guys - thanks.

I am off to Airpower Racing (Les Long's place) tomorrow to get some 'seat time'...

-B

Quick Reply: Race Seats: Questions