Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a hard drive camcorder that has an AV input jack for a lipstick camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I think TD started with a harddrive and quickly gave up on it for the reasons stated herein. I don't know if it went with the car, but he had a very elaborate system with a splitter and a lipstick cam to see hands and feet as well as the track. You should check in with him.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys, thanks for all of the terrific input. I am resigning myself to the fact that I will just have to drop the $600 for a new general-use/work camcorder, and then get a specific race camera. Dammit. Looks like I'll be trying to snag one today so I can get the expense in for 2007 taxes.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Mark, I have an Archos hard drive that has worked just fine for 3 years. The key was mounting it in the glovebox on the lid. When you close the glove box, the unit sits in a nearly vertical position minimizing direct vibration to the drive. Holds an entire season and can record widescreen.
Thanks, Bob. I'll google Archos and see what they offer.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Mark, I bailed on hard drive recording because my standalone hard drive recorder would skip. This was annoying.

I have since bought a new AVCHD camera from Panasonic. It records to SD cards. Sebring in February will be my first in-car test with it.
Hey, Charlie,

I'm not sure what AVCHD means, so I'll have to do some research. Let us know how it works. Sebring will be a great test, especially T17.

Originally Posted by Bull
Mark, given my experience with hard drive recorders, I would not even try it. I received one as a gift and tried many different ways to use it. None worked when recording to the hard drive in the car. Best Buy refused to allow a return/exchange because the 14 day period to do so had expired, even though the sales person sold the unit to the person buying it for me as the "perfect camera for that application" when she told him what the only use would be. I can use it with SD cards, but it has no AV input capability. One of these days I will get a ChaseCam set up.
Cool, Bob. You should have let me return it. I've encountered similar issues with the sales people at Best Buy and CompUSA and was extremely persistent in getting the store managers to allow me to return the items for store credits.

No tasers were used for these returns.

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Yup, mini-dv tapes. I don't keep very many tapes, so having them accumulate isn't a problem. I mount it directly to the rollbar. Very little to no shaking on the video. I'm sure the camcorder itself is getting vibrated a bit, but the stabilization seems to do the trick.
Maybe this is the best fall-back position to take, Manny. Even though I only do five or six races a year, I'm growing more opposed to storing hard-to-access tapes. I just bought a 500GB Western Digital external hard drive for $169; that is some damn cheap storage for my laptop.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I'll PM him.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark: Yes, the PDR with camera is $875. My point was that if you buy a good quality camcorder for $500 and then add $275 for a good quality (520 line) bullet camera, it's nearly the same price. While the videos that get posted to the internet are usually very compressed (like 320 x 240), the ChaseCam at high resolution records at 720 X 480 and looks great on a television (DVD quality). Recording at this resolution using MPEG2 takes about 4 Gb per hour of video using a CF card at 80x or better speed.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tom. I'm going kicking and screaming into the ChaseCam camp.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Cool, Bob. You should have let me return it. I've encountered similar issues with the sales people at Best Buy and CompUSA and was extremely persistent in getting the store managers to allow me to return the items for store credits.

No tasers were used for these returns.

You must have the touch. After the person who bought it had no luck, I went to the Store Manager, Divisional Merchandising Manager, Regional VP and then the CEO (Worst Buy used to be our third largest customer in my Corporate life in Consumer Electronics). Lots of very nice letters, but no return/exchange. I suspect it had to do with the fact that they stopped stocking the unit shortly after this one was purchased. Not worth the aggravation when there are so many other choices than those loosers.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bob.

I just pulled the trigger on the Sony HDR-CX7 camcorder at Best Buy. I bought three batteries, two 8 GB cards and the four year, drop-it warranty for $1,700.00. I may change my mind and return it all, unopened, of course, but at least I have the expense as a 2007 write-off for the business.

I was going to get two cameras, one for home/business in the $600 range and the other for the track ($900?), but I'd really prefer to have just one camera, one type of battery, one charger and one piece of software to deal with.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark: Keep us up to date on how well it works next year. While the ChaseCam is nice, as pointed out by others, it doesn't do HD. Does the SONY have an external input for a bullet camera or audio? FWIW, I find one other use of the ChaseCam is to function as "helmet cam" when mountain biking. Great fun after a day of riding to have a few beers and watch the ride again, especially the crashes.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hey, Tom,

No, unfortunately, the Sony does not have a line input for an external camera. Thanks, again, for all of your feedback and help.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Mark, you can easily append another camera into the video using a video editor such as the Sony Vegas Studio. It's pita to learn, but does pretty much everything you want. Just set a mark with a hand signal at the beginning of the clip and you can easily link the two together.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hey, Bob,

I'm not sure I really follow you. How can I add a lipstick cam to a camcorder that doesn't have a line input?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Mark - The other thing besides the wide angle lens you might want to get is this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ter_Cable.html

It allows external mics to be used. I have the lens, but haven't ordered/tried this yet. But this should eliminate the wind noise.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks, Bob.

I just pulled the trigger on the Sony HDR-CX7 camcorder at Best Buy. I bought three batteries, two 8 GB cards and the four year, drop-it warranty for $1,700.00. I may change my mind and return it all, unopened, of course, but at least I have the expense as a 2007 write-off for the business.

I was going to get two cameras, one for home/business in the $600 range and the other for the track ($900?), but I'd really prefer to have just one camera, one type of battery, one charger and one piece of software to deal with.
Excellent. One and done is the way I like to go also. No need for two as there are no crumb gobblers, etc.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by rmag
Mark - The other thing besides the wide angle lens you might want to get is this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ter_Cable.html

It allows external mics to be used. I have the lens, but haven't ordered/tried this yet. But this should eliminate the wind noise.
That's essential. A whopping $19!! Also agree on the wide angle adaptor, and I'd be looking for a 12V power adaptor to hard wire into the car to avoid the battery issue, and a LANC remote.

We're preparing the next update to TrackVision 2.0, which will support AVCHD unless we strike an unexpected problem. Intial signs are good.

Quick Reply: Looking for a hard drive camcorder that has an AV input jack for a lipstick camera