Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpecBoxster, 911Cup and Vintage 911 invited to PCA club races

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
bb45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on working out a 996 spec sometime this year. It will be approached the same way we did the Boxster spec i.e. strip out weight, add better suspension bits,stock motor, trans, headers.
I'll spread the word as it develops.

bill bodine
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Sold my G car a couple of weeks ago and was prepared to go 996 racing. I had forgotten about this class since I live in ATL.

If I built a 'compromised' spec racer, would it be competitive in F until SpecB comes to the SE?

I never see any boxters running in F, but I would think they would hold thier own pretty well considering the suspension and balance improvements.
Joe with PCA adding the class to the 3 events out West and one in Texas I would imagine that if there's interest they would add the class nationwide. They need to hear from people who are interested....

Mark I'm not familar with PCA classes but I will tell you that the Boxster's lap times are competitve with the 3.0-3.2 modified cars. Our Spec Boxsters are primarily stock with some basic suspension stuff. There's so much more you could do to one of these cars which would make them significantly quicker. A Guard LSD (he makes one), some bigger rims and tires(we run stock 7's and 8-1/2's), and a ECU flash all would combine to make these cars very competitive.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
... There's so much more you could do to one of these cars which would make them significantly quicker. A Guard LSD (he makes one), some bigger rims and tires(we run stock 7's and 8-1/2's), and a ECU flash all would combine to make these cars very competitive.

Well being a spec class driver myself that is one big issues. Sure you could do alot of things to make the cars faster, but one value of a "spec" class over other classes is limiting the mods to control costs. In a spec class model build and running costs play alt least as large a role as speed. In fact speed is often the means, but the end. I know 944 spec because I have been involved for years and the mods allowed in the class were designed to first make the cars low cost race cars that were fun to drive. Overall speed was not very important. The origins of spec boxter are developed from the idea of 944 spec as it was operating in POC at the time. In effect the spec Boxster was created as sligthtly faster more modern version of 944 spec. Given that care must be taken to balance the desire for speed with cost. Due to the cost of doner cars spec boxsters will always cost more to build that a 944, but one I key I believe is to limit that cost increase as much as possible. If you compare PCA full tilt SP1 (944 spec) to build to a stock class build you will see alot of thing that could make a spec car faster, but at more cost. I think the same should apply to spec boxster. If Spec boxster can continue to limit the prep so that it does not take a really fancy suspension or really expensive wheels or tires to run the cars you will have a selling point over a stock class build. They key is to not able lured in by the idea of running 1 second a lap faster with part XYZ. It maybe only an incremental $600 to $1000 for builts, cars that extra $$ is alot more for those building from scratch.

Keep it simple and basic and stock where feasible.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

As I look at the cost to build a competitive 996, I certainly like the idea of the spec boxter.

My question was really about the transition period. Since it could be two seasons before spec boxter is recognized by PCA, I was just curious about building one today that qualifies for both SBXR and F class, until the class takes off.

The SBXR is more restrictive than PCA in several performance areas including exhaust, suspension, but even with these limits I would hope they would be competitive with a 25yr old 3.2 in F.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Reading the post about building a spec 996 spec by strip out weight, add better suspension bits,stock motor, trans, headers, etc. it strikes me that the factory has already done that and they are called "996 Cup Cars"

Perhaps it might make more sense to take a look at PCA club racings new GTB class, which is designed to allow 996 cars spec'd for Grand Am Koni Cup to run in PCA club racing, but not be in GTA class against factory GT3RSR's.

As M578 correctly states, the beauty of a spec class is that it allows close competitive racing of similar cars and at a fairly low cost. Spec Miata is an example of a class of cars that have relatively few modifications allowed and accordingly result in close, competitive racing at a relatively low cost (that is unless you want to win at the Runoffs and then the cost goes through the roof......hmmmm)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

The biggest difference I see between SBXR and PCA stock class is that you can gut the interior in SBXR, remove the soft top, remove the hood latches, and remove the rear spoiler motor. The SBXR min weight is 2700# with driver and the PCA F weight is 2929 with driver.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mark, cost is why I did not go 996. I ran the #s forward and backward and could not geter done for under $55k. That is assuming the low end purchase price for the donor.

I had a Boxster and highly recommend them if the SB makes it in PCA and comes east. See ya at the Jan DE.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Reading the post about building a spec 996 spec by strip out weight, add better suspension bits,stock motor, trans, headers, etc. it strikes me that the factory has already done that and they are called "996 Cup Cars"
A used cup car is just a bit more expensive than a used 996 with a cage and bolt-on suspension mods...
Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Randy, your car looks good, I noticed in on some earlier posts. Yes, mid 50's is what I'm looking at for the 996.

I am justifying it on two points. First, a new engine costs much less that rebuilding my 3.0. Second, I will save on tires since I'm getting ABS. Man did I have to strecch the logic for this to seem rational. This logic would hold for either the 996 or a boxster. Anyway, haven't committed to anything yet, still waivering.

Cory: The problem with the cup car is the cost of an engine rebuild, its probably triple the cost of a crate 996 engine, and I don't have to do it every 30 hours to stay competitive. Now maybe one of theose Koni cars is a good compromise, but howmany are out there racing?

Antother thing that is playing into my decision is the size of the fields. I think the 996 classes will be the 'F' class of the future, a lot of good close racing for years to come. With the proliferation of used boxters out there that could be a big class too.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Cory: The problem with the cup car is the cost of an engine rebuild, its probably triple the cost of a crate 996 engine, and I don't have to do it every 30 hours to stay competitive. Now maybe one of theose Koni cars is a good compromise, but howmany are out there racing?
I was being sarcastic in my post, I guess I should have used some emoticons ... The cheapest used cupcars I see all need rebuilds and still cost $30-50k more than the 996's people would build for the proposed spec class, not to mention maintenance, tires, etc. It costs a LOT more to be competivtive in a cup car than it would in a 996 spec car on a spec DOT tire.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Sorry Cory, I get in trouble at work for taking emails too seriously too. The ironic part is I'm one of the most sarcastic people you will ever meet if face-to-face.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M758
Well being a spec class driver myself that is one big issues. Sure you could do alot of things to make the cars faster, but one value of a "spec" class over other classes is limiting the mods to control costs. In a spec class model build and running costs play alt least as large a role as speed. In fact speed is often the means, but the end. I know 944 spec because I have been involved for years and the mods allowed in the class were designed to first make the cars low cost race cars that were fun to drive. Overall speed was not very important. The origins of spec boxter are developed from the idea of 944 spec as it was operating in POC at the time. In effect the spec Boxster was created as sligthtly faster more modern version of 944 spec. Given that care must be taken to balance the desire for speed with cost. Due to the cost of doner cars spec boxsters will always cost more to build that a 944, but one I key I believe is to limit that cost increase as much as possible. If you compare PCA full tilt SP1 (944 spec) to build to a stock class build you will see alot of thing that could make a spec car faster, but at more cost. I think the same should apply to spec boxster. If Spec boxster can continue to limit the prep so that it does not take a really fancy suspension or really expensive wheels or tires to run the cars you will have a selling point over a stock class build. They key is to not able lured in by the idea of running 1 second a lap faster with part XYZ. It maybe only an incremental $600 to $1000 for builts, cars that extra $$ is alot more for those building from scratch.
Keep it simple and basic and stock where feasible.
Hey Joe.... I was answering a specific question from Mark M regarding a "compromised Spec Boxster" for his market in Atlanta. Accordingly I stated there were other modification outside the spec class you could do which would transform the car's handling abilities, mainly an LSD and wider rims. Don't you run a LSD in your 944 Cup? Try driving a 944 without one and you'll understand why they are so valuable....
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hey Joe....... Don't you run a LSD in your 944 Cup? Try driving a 944 without one and you'll understand why they are so valuable....

I run in 944 spec. I have done so with an open diff since 2000. In fact I have never run with an LSD in a 944 NA. My 944 Turbo S street car that I used to track before the NA has a limited slip. I would love one in my spec car, but can't justify the money. I can still do quite well with an open diff so and not having and less fun without one. When we started 944 spec we allowed LSD since some cars had them from the factory and we assumed it would be more fun with them. Well looking back we probably should have said no to them. Fun factor is still good even open and only a few cars came with them. The issue now is that there are just too many cars with LSD to take it away so they are here to stay. The boxster is much easier in that NO cars had LSD from the factory and they are not commonly available now. To control costs I would keep spec boxster open diff rather than taking 2-4k on to the build of the class. Do it now while you can.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO, the standard 986 does not really need an LSD for the track. In my experience it has no problem putting the power down with an open diff.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M758
The boxster is much easier in that NO cars had LSD from the factory and they are not commonly available now. To control costs I would keep spec boxster open diff rather than taking 2-4k on to the build of the class. Do it now while you can.

Joe that's how the group voted last month, to keep the open diff rather than spend $2k on the proposed Guard 4-friction disc unit with adjustable ramps. One guy bought and installed the unit anyway prefering to run with an LSD rather than without. He'll run in our R6 class and will do quite well there.
I'm going to drive my new Spec Boxster with the open diff in 2 weeks for the first. He has offered to let me drive his with the LSD there for a comparison. If I think it's that valuable I may too go to the Guard LSD unit and run outside of class. Since I also race a 6-cup I would like the driving styles to be similar rather than not. I'll post a report of my thoughts and perceptions....

Quick Reply: SpecBoxster, 911Cup and Vintage 911 invited to PCA club races