Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Good restaurants in/near Raleigh, NC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts
Default OT: Good restaurants in/near Raleigh, NC?

My wife and I are flying down tomorrow for a few days to start scouting a location for our next home. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations or favorite eateries down there..

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:46 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many...

I like Bella Monica on Edwards Mill Rd. Great Italian food in a family restaurant. Make a reservation. There are some good restaurants downtown - Bistro 607 is very good, also check out Cafe Luna and
Tir Na Nog for beer, fish & chips.

My choice for Pizza is Mellow Mushroom. Their crust is the best.

Chinese is hard to come by. I like the Lantern on Franklin St in Chapel Hill.

Where are you looking for housing? I can help you with some of the decisions there too.

Have fun!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are ready to move. I guess I'll see you at Road Atlanta this year.

I have learned the southern language pretty well. If you need help, PM me. Fixin: Getting ready to. Y'all: You guys. All Y'all: Everyone. Gitter done: Get it done.

Food: Fried Okra. Fried chicken. Pot Slicker soup. Fried.... and Fried.....

I'm sure you will appreciate the friendly people, warmer weather and housing prices.

Merry Christmas and have a good trip.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thank guys.
Jeffrey - We are open as to the area, would like it to be within a 30 minute commute to Raleigh at this early a point in the game. The plan is to put our home up for sale here in late spring and as head down there about July or so. We will be looking for a minimum of a 3 car garage and a reasonably sized home, from what area realtors are showing me there is a FLOOD of homes on the market now..

Randy - I'll still be up here for the RA race but i'm trying to plan on it anyway.. Thanks for the grammer lessons too!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ate dinner on the 12th at the Bistro 607... very good. Quaint old house turned into eating establishment setting. Get's my vote, food was excellent (had duck) and they have a very nice wine list too.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Angus Barn for steak and one of the best wine lists in the country (no kidding)

Been there forever.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Angus Barn for steak and one of the best wine lists in the country (no kidding)

Been there forever.
Top notch place for sure. One of the best steaks this Montana boy has had outside of Montana.

If you venture up to Durham/Chapel Hill area which has better restaurants in my opinion...

Top Tier
Nana's--great french style. I always get the prix fixe menu.

Four Square--I've always had great meals from the ocean here.

Magnolia Grill--Lots of poeple think this is the best in Durham. I don't personally like the menu that much.

Second tier

Pops--owners always have a great menu up

Vin Rouge-- Haven't been there in 4 years but was very good, for some reason we always end up somewhere else

Georges-- hit or miss depending on menu item IMO although the sushi has always been very good.

Third Tier

Satisfaction--good pizzas

Mad Hatters-- great dessert selection and the menu is pretty good especially considering the price. Anything from grilled salmon to good wraps. Breads are from Guglhupf.

Guglhupf-- Bread and pastries are top notch. Cafe is okay. Without the baked good quality it wouldn't be worth it. However most decent places use the Guglfhupf for baked goods so you can get better menus with the same bread. Best breads in the South IMO.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We will be looking for a minimum of a 3 car garage and a reasonably sized home, from what area realtors are showing me there is a FLOOD of homes on the market now
Not sure I agree with the "flood of homes" your realtor is telling you. Sure, there is some inventory but the market here is very strong.

As far as the requirements.....we had 2.....3 car garage and master on main floor. We got master. Anything we liked in the 3 car category was pushing the million dollar mark and we were not in the mood to spend that on a house. So it really depends on your budget and more importantly, location you want to be in. We decided to build our home but there was no 3 -car option. There is a new 'hood near ours that has a 3-car option and can be had in the 600-750 range. Not happy about that and even considered moving and building again! But no way are we going to go through that again. Time to install a lift.

A place to get good eats? Angus Barn (on 70 near Briar Creek and the Airport) if you like HIGH END steaks and wine in a rustic setting. Another great steak place is Sullivan's in downtown Raleigh. Bonefish is great if you want good seafood in Cary just off the Harrison exit. If you want to head up to Durham try Four Square.

You'll love this area. We have family in CT but they all comment on how great it is here in NC.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

2nd for Sullivans (their filet with lump crab meat and bernaise sauce is delicious), i prefer it over the angus barn...evoo on fairview road (near 5 points) is a cool place...for pizza, lilly's in 5 points is good as well as moonlight pizza further downtown...the rockford on glenwood is a cool place with an ecclectic/unusual menu...for mexican, dos taquitos on creedmoor is good (i didnt think the new dos taquitos down town was very good though)...simpsons steak house is in the same stip mall as dos taquitos and its good as well...518 west is a nice italian place off of glenwood

hayes barton cafe in 5 points is an awesome place to go for dessert and after dinner drinks....for sunday brunch, i love humble pie in downtown

there are plenty of other great places to eat in raleigh also...
Old 12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Gary, let me know if you fire sale the pumpkin before the move
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Now thats just mean.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

what are friends for?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

I lived in the RTP area for the past 15 years before moving to San Jose CA. So most of the replys above have been from the chapel hill or Durham area. I would suggest checking out downtown raleigh as well. I've lived in both durham and raleigh and for a short stint in chapel hill as well.

places to eat in downtown raleigh: try duck and dumpling, 42nd street oyster bar, and sullivans for a good steak.

places to scout for houses. look in the chapel hill area for nice homes also look 'inside the beltline' for some very nice historic southern homes.

you cant go wrong the cost of housing is cheap in RTP.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
what are friends for?
Thanks buddy!

Due to the XMas night restaurant blackout we were forced to eat at a downtown hotel restaurant...

Tonight Sullivan's sounds like a good bet though out hotel is 1/2 way between downtown and the Angus Barn place..

Thanks for all the great info. Sean, I haven't touched the poor pumpkin due to the holidays and other BS going on but am going to get her ready for sale following the New Year. Make me an as-is offer and save me the work!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM
rsrdan
Racer

2nd on the angus barn,OR the next time you head to VIR, cant beat HOMESTEAD in Roxboro ...i look forward everytime i head to the track.. YUMMY!!

Quick Reply: OT: Good restaurants in/near Raleigh, NC?