Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for PCA Club Racers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007 | 12:00 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Pete;

Thanks for seeking input from the racers. I do like having 2 sprints and concluding with an enduro.

Joe
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:57 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Alan, thanks for your comments on three days versus two days putting a strain on region volunteers.

Actually, "national" is not pushing for three day weekends as opposed to two day weekends. In fact, we would prefer more two day weekends. The reason is that a three day weekend race turns into five days of being away from home (and work) for the national stewards, scrutineers and timing techs, since the national crew has to arrive early the day before the race and oftentimes stays fairly late on the last day and accordingly can't get plane flights out (try to get out of Elmira-Corning airport any time after about 2 PM on a Sunday!) The problem for the national staff is frankly burn out from those long events. Nearly all of our national staff are also racers who got more involved in the administration of the program with the intention of making sure that there are races to race in. Also, few of our national staff are retired. We've actually lost good staff members over the years because they simply can't afford the extended time away from home and their jobs. Accordingly, if an event chairman asks me what our preference is as to length of event, I always respond "two days".

Frankly, I also prefer two day race weekends when I'm racing. Get to the track, get a bit of practice to get the rust out, race a couple of races (as can be done with the schedule of a smaller race) and get out of Dodge, back to the real world. My prediction is that Sebring this year with the extended schedule is going to seem like way too much track time and time away from your own bed for most people.

As a final comment, I'd suggest that racers try some of the smaller events if you want more track time and more actual racing. An event that has two race groups plus a DE group or two has a lot more flexibility in its schedule for the steward than one of the four race group mega events.

Happy holidays,
Bruce
Old 12-08-2007 | 05:34 PM
por29
Racer

Depending on the venue I like both two day and three day events. Two sprint races per weekend is great. I think the essence of the PCA club racing theme is to have every event offering rookie candidates practice starts and a "fun" race. Test and tune before the race weekend if available with one sprint on Fri. a sprint on Sat and an Enduro on Sunday.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:47 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Bruce;
I hear 'ya on the schedule load on National staff - I'm just passing along what we were told. I personaly think that this will eventually even out - right now it's a bit of friction.
Oh - and I'm no longer working the events as I've taken out a PCA lisence, so I see both sides too.
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:17 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

More track time is key if you are going to get me to tow long distances. With the cost of fuel today, the cost in getting there is crazy. I am more willing to tow to WG, VIR or Road Atlanta for example if the amount of track time is better than staying closer to home and doing another NASA race at Mid-Ohio.
Old 12-09-2007 | 07:35 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to see more 60 miniute "intermediates". They offer a good option for people wanting to do a longer race but not ready to step up to the re-fueling and such of a true enduro. My pref for a 3 day weekend would be 30 min sprint on fri, 60 min on sat and 120 min on sunday
Old 12-09-2007 | 08:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
I'd like to see more 60 miniute "intermediates". They offer a good option for people wanting to do a longer race but not ready to step up to the re-fueling and such of a true enduro. My pref for a 3 day weekend would be 30 min sprint on fri, 60 min on sat and 120 min on sunday
Ooh, I like that, 30, 60, 90!

Quick Reply: Question for PCA Club Racers